Missed / Dropped - Should it be 0?
After a wealth of help from everyone on here, i'm down to my very final issue. I must admite - this place is an incredible resource, will be donating some at end of the month. Don't think i'd of gotten this far just by setting options and hoping.

So when i play a video and i press a button on the remote, i get this little bit of info at the top which tells me the refresh rate, resolution etc etc.

It also has a section for MISSED or DROP, i'm guessing this is dropped frames through the running of the video?

Should i expect to see 0? or is it just one of those things that dropped frames happen and 0 is impossible to obtain.. Or is 30/40 average? .. That providing my video doesnt look choppy / juddery i shouldn't worry?

I've got an Acer Revo ION running at 1920x1080 60hz.

If i run the killa sample, should i expect 0 to? As i'm gonna try like that later and use it as a benchmark to try options to try and get 0 MISSED or DROP.

Just wondered whether it's worth it or im being ultra anal.

Thanks
If your videos look good... why bother?
XBMCLive Dharma beta 2 running on an ASRock ION 330 HT
Its not at all uncommon to have a few dropped at the beginning, if you don't drop more frames after say 30s you have perfect playback. In the beginning the player may not have buffered up enough or sync isn't set yet. there are may reasons why you may get a few in the beginning.

In the end its how the_alien says, if it looks good don't bother Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
the_alien Wrote:If your videos look good... why bother?

I'm perhaps on a little bit of a mission to make sure everything is perfect since i got my Acer Revo on Monday hehe, i can get a bit anal about things like that.. Like it perfectly configured so i don't have to touch it again. Drives my wife insane Smile

topfs2 Wrote:Its not at all uncommon to have a few dropped at the beginning, if you don't drop more frames after say 30s you have perfect playback. In the beginning the player may not have buffered up enough or sync isn't set yet. there are may reasons why you may get a few in the beginning.

In the end its how the_alien says, if it looks good don't bother Smile

Ah righty - that explains allot.

When i go back home for lunch i'll give killa a try, see what sort of DROP/MISS count i get.

Cheers
In killa you will get drops in the beginning. It's due to the way the file is 'cut' .Lots of distortion in the start.

After a couple of seconds you shouldn't get any more drops. I get like 2-4 drops total in killa.
Missed means missed vblank updates, has nothing to do with framedrops.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Missed means missed vblank updates, has nothing to do with framedrops.

Oh right.

So should i worry about MISSED? or is that just normal to have a few aswell?
Right.. Results..

On normal SD stuff - DROP is around 20-30 at startup - but then doesn't drop for the remaining of the video.

Killa 1080p sample..

Right with TV running at 1920/1080 60HZ

With refresh rate match enabled..

The video starts with my TV in 1920/108060hz mode.. Then it flips to 1920/1080 50hz, screen goes pixelated and greenish at thos point.. Then it flips to 1920/1080 24hz, at which point it's smooth. Unfortunately is only gets to 1920/1080 24hz mode on my TV with 3/4 seconds left of the video to run, so can't be 100%.

Also with refresh rate match it seems to mess up the video calibration - so example when i pause there is quite a bit of overscan on the menus / video.

Now if i run it with refresh rate match disabled..

It starts up fine with no TV resolution flipping and at 1920/1080 60hz - it does look a little jittery. Then again after 10 seconds or so, it stops looking so jittery and no increase in the DROP count is seen.

Difficult to say, i don't have or download any 1080p material. So can't run a longer test.

Then again i don't have or download any 720p material either, but i will be getting some tonight to see.

Anyone got seen this sorta behaviour before?

I suppose it could be my TV, not switching resolutions fast enough or correctly.
thedalmeny Wrote:Oh right.

So should i worry about MISSED? or is that just normal to have a few aswell?

It's just scheduling jitter usually, they're automatically corrected so it doesn't matter.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Missed / Dropped - Should it be 0?0