Problem with 5.1 DTS
Hey guys, wonder if you could help me with a problem im having.

Ive just started ripping my blu-ray collection. I tested a few movies i ripped, by streaming them to my htpc, which is connected up to my amplifier.

Everything went fine, the 5.1 DTS-HD streams got converted to 5.1 DTS like they were meant to, and everything ran fine.

I then turned off my HTPC, and put another hard drive in for space, to store the blu-ray moves on it.

Once i restarted the machine, i found that i cant get 5.1 dts anymore, it just outputs 2 channels. This is all happening over hdmi.

Ive found though, if i have an .mkv file, with 5.1 dts in it, it outputs it fine.

But it wont output to 5.1 dts in a .m2ts file. It just comes out two channel.

Im using the latest svn build of xbmc, and all the latests ubuntu updates.

http://pastebin.com/m4df255f4

Im not sure if ive done the log file right. ive tried to do another one via debugging, but, it doesnt make another log file. so, im unsure.

Thanks for the help.
is no one able to help me with this at all...or is this not an xbmc problem?
sorry guys, put up the incorrect log file. hopefully this one will be able to help you guys help me out better. hah.

http://pastebin.com/m49c6d8e1

ive read through the log, and its coming up;

"ffmpeg[B0C1EB70]: [spdif] bitrate is too high"

Any help reguarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
so can no one guide me in the right direction with this? or is this thread due to go into the void that is the forums?
I'm not a developer or familiar with ffmpeg, or even the technical specs of HDMI/SPDIF, but if it's saying bitrate too high maybe you have encoded DTS higher than spec? If you are outputting both audio and sound over HDMI it is possible the combined audio and video bitrate is too high.

Unless you have encoded things at a much higher bitrate than the originals, I couldn't image this would be the case.

Did you update versions of XBMC between the changes as well? Maybe try the most recent stable release for comparison?
hah, finally someone willing to give me a hand.

No updating was done what so ever between xbmc down time.

All i did, was turn off, install hard drive, turn on, copy blu-rays across to new hard drive. and now im not getting dts 5.1

Audio and video is getting outputted via hdmi.

its outputting everything to pcm, except when i try anything in an .mkv container with surround sound, or dts it works fine.

and i didnt encode higher than original. its a straight rip.

since the problem, ive updated to the latest builds, as you can see in the pastebin.
This is a problem in SVN or with the way you compiled SVN. Go back to the stable version (or some earlier revision of SVN) and it should work fine. I only know because I just compiled a version (somewhere between 27275 and current, I can't remember exactly) today and saw this for the first time as well. I figured either something on my machine had screwed up the compile or the SVN itself had issues, but either way, it doesn't do this in the 9.11 stable release.
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
------------------------------------------
hmm, weird, cause i could of sworn that it didnt update itself in the process of dts being broken.
This is probably caused by changes in svn. Check the new audio settings (in system settings). This is still a work in progress, so it may just be how it is for a while. Don't use nightly builds if you expect stability Wink

TheUni
yeah, you guys were right.

Installed the stable version and dts 5.1 works perfectly like it should.

So must be a bug in the nightly builds.

Thanks for the guidence guys. I really appreciate it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with 5.1 DTS0