[LIVE] HOW-TO fix the network on a Foxconn Netbox 330i with XBMC Live
Hi All

On the Foxconn Netbox 330i the onboard NIC is not detected. If you install the Live Version to the Harddisk it will tell you that no NIC is found, ignore it go further and install the system. After you are done, with the installation go to the shell ctrl+alt+F1 and login with the user and password that you setup during installation process. Now do this :

1. sudo -s hit Enter and put in your Password
2. editor /etc/network/interfaces

add the following 2 lines :

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

save it with ctrl + x

The file should look like this :

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Now reboot your box and you have working Ethernet on your Foxconn Netbox 330i

Testet with Liveversion from Xbmcfreak version 10

Cheers
You are the man! Thank you so much for this, my ethernet works perfectly now
Awesome - this worked for mine, as I had not setup my network when I first installed it.

Thanks mate!
just adding:

in case somebody doesn't want the live CD installation but opts for a more customized XBMCbuntu installation, the minimal CD route will not work since it is not detecting the LAN controller and thus is not able to download the missing packages from the servers.

instead, download and burn the ALTERNATE iso image of the desired version (I'd recommend 64bit lucid) and use the command-line installer instead (F4). you'll end up with the minimal installation without any gnome or GUI stuff as described in the guide and all packages will be installed from CD instead. right after reboot into text-mode ubuntu is finished, just do the stuff listed above to get network working, sudo apt-get update the distribution and continue following the XBMCbuntu guide.

of course this also works with unetbootin from USB stick, just make sure to change boot device priority.

on a sidenote, does anybody have a clue what to configure or install to control the fan and downclock the atom CPU?
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Does anyone get the wireless N to work in Foxconn Netbox 330i ?
first of all, the atheros wlan in the foxconn is b/g only Wink

edit: after some reading, the ar9285 chip *may* be N compatible http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR9285.htm

still playing around, but installing linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic seems to do the job

afterwards you may have to do a dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
hannes what IR receiver to use wif this box, since it has no IR builtin?

thought about logitech MX Air, but im not sure whether ill bring it to work without probs in xbmcbuntu....
This remote works out of the box with XBMC Live:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
hannes: what to do to make the WLAN running? doesnt work here.

and are there any news about the fan control thingy?
the backports-kernel modules recognized the wlan, I checked it from command line. but sorry, no time ATM to test connection or fan control.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hannes The Hun Wrote:on a sidenote, does anybody have a clue what to configure or install to control the fan and downclock the atom CPU?

atom 330 has no speedstep
fans.. cant control them

i will send the box back Sad
CrystalHD Installer XBMC Community Forum Thread -
Apple TV CrystalHD Installer Announcement - Broadcom CrystalHD Installer
http://www.sartori.at/ - my weblog

Sync your MAC and Google Account (+ Google Apps) - Click here for 5$ Discout

Living Room: HFX Micro black - Zotac IONITX G - Intel X25V - Hama remote
Bedroom: Linux AppleTV - CrystalHD
Thanks for this post as it totally got me online but i want to use a static IP and not a dynamic one. Can someone let me know how to set up a static IP?
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

I just got my Foxconn NT-330i today, and spent the evening building it up.
I am not a Linux expert (closer to newbie), but wanted to post what I did, and consolidate it all in one place, so people with this device won't have to spend 4 hours trying everything like I did.
So here it goes:
First I downloaded and installed Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.00 beta1 from http://xbmcfreak.binkey.nl/xbmcfreak-10.00-svn33324.zip

-------------On-board Ethernet Setup-------------
First thing I noticed was the lack of any network, so as listed above, open a terminal window and type:
Quote:sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
and added/changed so that it looked like this:
Quote:auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Press Ctrl+O, to write the file, and Ctrl+X to exit.

If you wanted it static use this instead:
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.124
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
broadcast 192.168.0.255
dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1
Obviously those static settings are for my network, where my router/gateway is at 192.168.0.1, you will need to adjust them to match your network, if you have a Windows machine already working on your network, use below to get your correct settings, if you need to.
Quote:Press WINDOWS-KEY + R
type:
CMD
then ENTER
type:
IPCONFIG /ALL
then ENTER
Make a note of the "Subnet Mask", "Default Gateway", and "DNS Servers"
Use those for your static settings.

-------------On-board Atheros Wireless Setup-------------

I wanted to use this in my bedroom upstairs, so I needed the wireless to work.
It will work for 1080p across wireless, but only if you don't mind it pausing to buffer every 15 seconds Smile
Actually 720p really did work for me most of the time, but since most of my media is 480p, I really don't care about the lack of 1080p and intermittent 720p across the wireless.

To get my wireless to work took about 4 hours to find the solution because the wifi appeared to be on, but wouldn't let me set anything.
Here are the commands I used to get it to work, and the pages I got them from. It should only take you 5 minutes now.

This is for WPA & WPA2 mixed mode, (WEP and OPEN are at the end of this post, but why would you want to use WEP or OPEN anyway.)

The below WPA/WPA2 instructions mostly came from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263136

Before you try to pull down any of the packages, make sure you execute a:
Quote:sudo apt-get update
to update the repository info.

I needed to install the following packages to fix my wireless, your mileage may vary:
Quote:sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-headers-lucid-generic
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic
sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant
sudo apt-get install wget (really should have already been installed, but wasn't. Only needed to pull down a file I needed below)
Obviously you will need to have your ethernet up and running to pull down files from the internet.

I then ran the following commands to generate a psk that is needed later.

Quote:wpa_passphrase MacGyversSSID myWPApasswordislong
Obviously use your own SSID and your own WPA/WPA2 passphrase.
Now take the "psk" string from that, and use it below. It should look something like this:
psk=b22ec921c254c73f99b31b76ff876692ecde36839a1f2d92150829e6afcb5515
Type:
Quote:sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
and paste in:
Quote:ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#ap_scan=2 remove the # if you turned off SSID broadcast on your router (hidden mode)

network={
ssid="MacGyversSSID" replace with your own
scan_ssid=1
proto=WPA RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
psk=your_psk_from_the_above_command_(it_will_be_long)
}

Now type:
Quote:sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
and make it look this:
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.0.123
netmask 255.255.255.0
wireless-essid MacGyversSSID replace with your own
gateway 192.168.0.1
broadcast 192.168.0.255
dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1
pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

Now at this point, you should be able to manually start up the wifi adapter with:
Quote:sudo wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
But if you still have the ethernet cable plugged in, you may have to reboot with it unplugged before it will work.

-------------3rd party Atheros driver setup-------------

Now because I am no expert, I did A LOT of things prior to getting it to work, one of the things I did was build and install compat-wireless (for their Atheros driver), if you need to (you may not, the backport one may work fine), this is how I did mine, make sure you install the header packages from above first.
This is pretty much copied from the site http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/:
Download the latest stable package:
Quote:wget htt p://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6-stable/v2.6.32/compat-wireless-2.6.32.16.tar.bz2
^Remove the space in the htt p above to http, the forum keeps auto-formatting it to a clickable url.^

After downloading, unpack the source
Quote:tar -xf compat-wireless-2.6.32.16.tar.bz2

Building and installing
Quote:cd compat-wireless-2.6.32.16
./scripts/driver-select atheros
make
sudo make install

After build and installation unload modules and drivers:
Quote:sudo make unload

I looked at and tried A LOT of sites and those were the ones that actually got it going.

If I missed anything, let me know, and I'll edit it.

---------------------------Seriously, don't use OPEN or WEP as listed below.---------------------------
[COLOR="Red"]You shouldn't be using these, but we are all adults, so do what you want. OPEN, and WEP.

Type:
Quote:sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

And paste in for OPEN (no security at all, because you're crazy or live in the middle of the woods)

network={
key_mgmt=NONE
}

Or paste in for WEP (because you live in the past, and in the past, WEP is still secure.)

network={
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key0="myWEPpasswordisworthless" replace with your WEP hex key or passphrase in ""
wep_tx_keyidx=0
}
Now sit back and watch people on the street hack into your stuff.[/COLOR] Smile
looks great, thanks for the instructions! wlan is really a pain in the ass to get it working in terminal mode only Sad I wish sometime we would have a control applet within XBMC as every other stupid media player does Oo
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
I had issues with these 2 lines, any assistance please.

Quote:sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-headers-lucid-generic
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO fix the network on a Foxconn Netbox 330i with XBMC Live1