Auto adjust refresh rate and 24p playback
I'm trying to get the auto-adjust refresh-rate option to work on my xbmc live install.
It all seems to work, apart from 1 annoying thing, when I start a file to playback, there's a bit of audio then a pause with a black or blocky colored screen for a while before the video resumes, though it plays at a faster rate until it catches up with the audio then works fine.
According to the tv and pressing o for info on xbmc the refresh rates correctly change for 24p playback.
Deselecting auto adjust and choosing display options work fine but then the menu's are a bit jerky, and well the auto option would be better.

Thanks.
I have the exact same problem...

Run 1920x1080 24hz and 1080p runs perfect...

Run 1920x1080 60hz with refresh rate match on.. And i experience the following..

Movie starts (Screen in 1920x1080 60hz)
Then the screen goes blank, comes back and have pixelation and green (Screen now in 1920x1080 50hz)
Then screen goes blank, comes back and plays perfect (Screen now in 1920x1080 24hz)

This all happens within the space of 5-8 seconds.

I've done all the relevant tweaks for my TV (modelines etc)..

It would appear that my Acer Revo is struggling to switch to the correct refresh rate quick enough, so flips about.

I dunno whether this is an easy fix or not.. Some on here may know?

What spec you running? i have a Acer Revo R3600 with 1GB RAM. I'm upgrading to 2GB RAM sometime this week. I'll let u know how i get on.
I'm running a revo R3610 with 2GB ram.
Yes same problem, looking back through the forums it looks like it might be the time it takes the tv to switch rather than the pc causing the problem?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67651

May be in the next release it will be fixed. Just switched auto refresh rate off for now, cant really notice any difference in playback on anything i've tried so far.
Hey guys, I'm almost sure this is your receiver/TV switching modes and not a problem with XBMC. I have a receiver/projector combination and the blackout I experience while the mode is changing is exactly the same thing as what happens when I change from one source to another on my receiver. It's the time the receiver & projector (or TV) needs to adjust to the change.

I leave auto-refresh on as not matching it can lead to jerky video when the framerate and refresh rate aren't closely matched. If it doesn't bother you though, sounds like a fine solution to turn it off.
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
The blackout may be due to the monitor switching resolutions/refresh rates, but the blockiness/green-screen is most likely XBMC's "fault".

Kind of off-topic (sorry), but I am curious as to what the benefits of running XBMC in 60Hz vs 24Hz mode. If most of my movies are 24Hz, shouldn't leaving the XBMC GUI in 24Hz mode allow for it to not have to resync most of the time when starting movies? If so, what, if any, benefit would there be to running the GUI in 60Hz?
Good clarification, but I seem to get that on any video I start for a short amount of time so I didn't attribute it specifically to changing resolutions. However, as you stated, when I switch over to DirecTV from XBMC, the DirecTV is not blocky green for 4-5 seconds while it collects itself. Smile
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
myrison Wrote:Good clarification, but I seem to get that on any video I start for a short amount of time so I didn't attribute it specifically to changing resolutions. However, as you stated, when I switch over to DirecTV from XBMC, the DirecTV is not blocky green for 4-5 seconds while it collects itself. Smile
Yes, well I mentioned it because DSPlayer does not exhibit that problem. Of course, I believe that DSPlayer doesn't (yet) support resyncing, either, so I had been leaving my GUI set at 24Hz mode when testing that install.
Scott R Wrote:The blackout may be due to the monitor switching resolutions/refresh rates, but the blockiness/green-screen is most likely XBMC's "fault".

Kind of off-topic (sorry), but I am curious as to what the benefits of running XBMC in 60Hz vs 24Hz mode. If most of my movies are 24Hz, shouldn't leaving the XBMC GUI in 24Hz mode allow for it to not have to resync most of the time when starting movies? If so, what, if any, benefit would there be to running the GUI in 60Hz?

Personally i've not had TV resolution switching issues with other devices, only XBMC.. I suspect it's an XBMC issue, because my TV is going from 1920x1080@60hz > 1920x1080@50hz > 1920x1080@24hz.

I could see it as my TV just taking time to switch if it went from 60hz to 24hz, but to have the 50hz in the middle which is the mode that is creating the blockness/green.. Plus i've got a Samsung 50" 1080p plasma, is a pretty good TV which ive not had problems with before in this regard.

Running the GUI in 60hz is smoother than 24hz, for example.. Most online rips, be it standard definition / 720p and 1080p run at 24FPS give or take. They're encoded that way..

But lets say your computer monitor, you run Windows in 60/75hz.. You wouldn't run the GUI in 24hz as it wouldn't look very good, in very much the same way as a monitor with Windows.
Right i think i'm close to narrowing down the problem...

I ran a 720p episode rip, ran absolutely fine with refresh rate adjust...

My personally feeling is that the killa sample poor encoding at the beginning is to blame, it's quite commonly known the beginning of it is poorly encoded.

I havent any 1080p mkv files to confirm that though..

Anyknow know where i can get a different sample file?
Right i tried the killa sample on my main PC (just through windows on a normal media player).

My PC: i7 920, 2x 4890 1GB XFX XXX Editions and 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM (so very powerful, 1080p is like a light tap for this PC)

Anyway i noticed that the first 1/2 seconds of the Killa Sample are blank / static, but with audio.. It's definitely poorly encoded. (altho i dont see green or blocking),

This would explain why XBMC may flip out a bit with that, thus forcing different resolutions and green / blocking.

Here is a place you can download 2 minute 1080p sample files:

http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

I'm gonna try it out later
As suspected Smile The Big Buck Bunny 1080p h.264 ran fine, with no problems or stuttering.

Bonza. Finally i'm done, everything is sorted Smile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto adjust refresh rate and 24p playback0