• 10(current)
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa
Glad i could help Smile This thread helped me get my sound working, so i'm happy i could contribute.
Hi,
I have recently traded my old original xbox with xbmc for an ASRock 330 ION. Using XBMC Live but struggling to get sound working via HDMI. I followed this manual (http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/xbmc-ion/module/5) but for some reason, HDMI is not available as a passthrough output device. Anyone knows how to fix this?
sgeoxd Wrote:Sonofa. Glad it was a simple fix. Thanks so much Kode, you were dead on.

sgeoxd/Kode: Is there a wiki page or something on general audio troubleshooting in XBMC? If so, perhaps the wiki page should link there. Unfortunately when it comes to XBMC I'm completely clueless (as a MythTV user :o).

sgeoxd Wrote:Thanks again to everyone, especially paoleary for making all of this possible and the effort to always help. Your posts are everywhere and so helpful.

As far as making it all possible goes--I know I've said it before, but that's far too much credit. At best, moep and I put the pieces together. But you're quite welcome.
Zarki Wrote:Hi,
I have recently traded my old original xbox with xbmc for an ASRock 330 ION. Using XBMC Live but struggling to get sound working via HDMI. I followed this manual (http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/xbmc-ion/module/5) but for some reason, HDMI is not available as a passthrough output device. Anyone knows how to fix this?

Hard to say--no experience with that chipset. This thread deals with the GT2xx series discrete cards, so you're question is likely to go unanswered here, not out of malice, but because the right people are less likely to find it. Start with these Google results, keeping in mind that the MythTV people have good ideas too. Big Grin If those links don't get you working, try an existing ION audio thread or a new thread if necessary, either in this forum or at nV News, is likely to be a better bet.
Zarki Wrote:Hi,

use custom option, type in "plughw:0,3"

btw there's asrock 330 ion threads all over this forum, even with complete how-to's to get HDMI working
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I'm beliving MAD!
I disable motheboard audio card via bios
I have a Geforce 210 (By Point of View). With command aplay -l I have device_list:223: no souncards found.
I tried editing with sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
options... etc

Xbmc told me when I play some video: falied to inizialize audio device. Ceck audio setting.
I set in XBMC audio device all HDMI.
Any suggestion?
Solved. Updated alsa driver:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810

Added:

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2
in /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
so these discrete nvidia gfx card supports audio, wonderful.

what properties of audio is supported ? I presume one can get LOSSLESS HD Audio (what I call it) which is 8CH 24bit 192KHz LPCM ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pike Wrote:so these discrete nvidia gfx card supports audio, wonderful.

what properties of audio is supported ? I presume one can get LOSSLESS HD Audio (what I call it) which is 8CH 24bit 192KHz LPCM ?

yup Smile
Hey all,

I have a G210 and have tried all the suggestions in this forum and still can't get it to work.

My card shows up as card 1. If I use the probe mask=0xffff,0xfff2 then my card becomes card 2 after a reboot.

Happy to supply some info if someone is willing to help me troubleshoot.

Thanks
Install Alsa 1.0.23 from source directly. The instructions are very simple on alsa's install webpage.
1.0.22-1 didnt work very well.

aplay -l shows card 0 and 1. 1 refers to Nvidia. So my /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf looks like this:

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1

/etc/asound.conf looks like this so that default works with card 1, device

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 3
}

Now the tricky part was to unmute nvidia

sudo alsamixer

Hit <F6> to select device and select Nvidia
If you see it muted, then press "m" and exit
Press THANK USER if I Help
Hey everyone, after countless reinstalls and trying everything i have finally gotten digital sound working with my Nvidia gt240 though HDMI. My settings are as follows.

Ubuntu LucidEek

Alsa upgraded to 1.0.23 via upgrade script

Have onboard sound turned off via bios.

My /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf contains "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0"

This gives me the 4 options of device 0,3 / 0,7 / 0,8 / 0,9

I have no /etc/asound.conf file

In XBMC I selected custom = plughw:0,7 for both output device, and passthrough device.

I can confirm on my evga gddr5 gt240 that plughw:0,7 can handle PCM, multichannel PCM, bitsteam (DD/DD-EX/DTS/DTS-ES)Big Grin

Could someone please update the WIKI so that more users can benefit from this experience. as it only has stereo confirmed in this configuration
Hello, I've bought a Twintech G210 yesterday:
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce 210] [10de:0a65] (rev a2)
04:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be3] (rev a1)

I'm running Linux kernel 2.6.35 and Alsa 1.0.23 .
I read and tried everything I could in this forum to make it work, but it doesn't want to :'(

The card is well detected by Linux (Alsa driver loaded), it is manageable through alsamixer (I can unmute it), I can even see the device "3" with "aplay -l" or "aplay -L" .

$ aplay -D "hw:1,3" saez_police.wav
Playing WAVE 'saez_police.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: pcm_write:1603: write error: Erreur d'entrée/sortie
("Erreur d'entrée/sortie" means "input/output error)

dmesg says "playback write error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)"

Note: I have an audigy in the same PC that works like a charm with the same wav file ...

/etc/modprobe.conf:
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2 index=1
(I use "index=1" to make sure the card is always at index 1, so my audigy is at index 0)

WTF is that problem ? No luck with kernel 2.6.33+updated alsa driver, vanilla 2.6.34.2 nor 2.6.35 !
hotdogger Wrote:Hey everyone, after countless reinstalls and trying everything i have finally gotten digital sound working with my Nvidia gt240 though HDMI. My settings are as follows.

Ubuntu LucidEek

Alsa upgraded to 1.0.23 via upgrade script

Have onboard sound turned off via bios.

My /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf contains "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0"

This gives me the 4 options of device 0,3 / 0,7 / 0,8 / 0,9

I have no /etc/asound.conf file

In XBMC I selected custom = plughw:0,7 for both output device, and passthrough device.

I can confirm on my evga gddr5 gt240 that plughw:0,7 can handle PCM, multichannel PCM, bitsteam (DD/DD-EX/DTS/DTS-ES)Big Grin

Could someone please update the WIKI so that more users can benefit from this experience. as it only has stereo confirmed in this configuration

I've got the EVGA 512-P3-1213-LR GeForce 210 in my Fedora box with the same basic configuration. Is there any way to get the interface sound effects working along with this? I can occasionally get them to be output if I run a speaker-test but once I play a video they no longer work, although when they do work they play with a bit of distortion.

I have the same 4 options of device 0,3 / 0,7 / 0,8 / 0,9, no asound.conf and must use plughw:0,7 in order to get passthrough.
Try the probe_mask option which will give you just ONE output over HDMI...

This is copied from the recent Beta2 script Trac changes:

if [ $CARD,$DEVICE == 1,3 ]; then
echo 'options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2' >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
elif [ $CARD,$DEVICE == 0,3 ]; then
echo 'options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2' >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
elif [ $CARD,$DEVICE == 2,3 ]; then
echo 'options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xffff,0xfff2' >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
fi

I am using the probe_mask option, have only one output at 0,3 and all menu sounds + normal audio works great.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa1