• 11(current)
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa
thethirdnut Wrote:Try the probe_mask option which will give you just ONE output over HDMI...

This is copied from the recent Beta2 script Trac changes:

if [ $CARD,$DEVICE == 1,3 ]; then
echo 'options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2' >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
elif [ $CARD,$DEVICE == 0,3 ]; then
echo 'options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2' >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
elif [ $CARD,$DEVICE == 2,3 ]; then
echo 'options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xffff,0xfff2' >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
fi

I am using the probe_mask option, have only one output at 0,3 and all menu sounds + normal audio works great.

Thanks, I applied that option and that caused the card to appear as a single card 0,3 device. The navigation sounds now work, but when I play a video I get an error about not being able to open the audio device, grrrrr
tabish121 Wrote:Thanks, I applied that option and that caused the card to appear as a single card 0,3 device. The navigation sounds now work, but when I play a video I get an error about not being able to open the audio device, grrrrr

I'm at the same point as you. What really annoys me is I had it working on 9.10, then I decided to upgrade since 10.04 is a LTS release and everything I was reading at the time indicated the nVidia HDMI problems were solved so I wouldn't need to keep recompiling drivers after every kernel upgrade. Apparently not. As an added bonus my remote (Harmony 880 via Philips eHome MCE dongle) worked out of the box on 9.10 but doesn't do anything on 10.04, so after I figure out audio I need to fix that too.
Seems that no matter what I set the passthrough device to be, when XBMC tries to open it gets a device busy error. Seems I can have navigation sounds or I can have audio but not both.
paoleary Wrote:Please see the wiki for complete, up-to-date instructions.

HISTORICAL INFO:
moep,

Nice work tracking down some of the missing links. Like TycoonX, my 210 was not recognized at all by ALSA. I built HD_AUDIO-9.10, but ran into problems with loading the modules--missing symbols, the works.

I ended up cherry-picking from and modifying HD_AUDIO-9.10 and grafting it onto alsa-driver-1.0.22.1 downloaded from the ALSA ftp site. I went ahead and made the changes to the IDs you said to make a little more cleanly, so that the GT240 PCI ID wasn't lost and the GT210 is correctly identified as such in alsamixer.

UPDATED: Here's a patch that should cover the G210, GT220, and GT240. This has been tested on my system against the original sources for ALSA 1.0.22.1. Since it's built off of alsa-kmirror.git, the patch command is `patch -p1 -d sound < patchfile' from the alsa-driver root.

ORIGINAL TEXT:
Here's a patch. Apply with a `patch -p1 < patchfile' from the alsa-driver-1.0.22.1 directory. Hope this helps. N.B.: There may in fact be a much simpler patch, after reviewing some things. I'll get back to you after watching Important Things with Demetri Martin (with HDMI audio!), then I'll test.

EDIT 2: Nope, apparently got to stick with the original patch.

Thanks for the patches. I was trying to get a working HDMI audio on nVidia ION2 (small zotac box, integrated GPU should be one of the GT21x chip family) with my 2.6.24 kernel (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS). Upgrading the kernel was not an option for me, so the process got a little more complicated. IIRC, the patches provided in the quoted post are against alsa 1.0.22.1, which unfortunately doesn't compile against 2.6.24.

So what I did was essentialy take alsa 1.0.22.1 sources, apply the patches and try to backport them to alsa 1.0.21 (the last one which I could successfully compile against my 2.6.24). In the end it seems I was successful (got the HDMI audio working).

In hope to spare someone the trouble of getting through the same painful process I have, I've created a patch against alsa 1.0.21. Maybe there still is some poor soul out there stuck on an older kernel who can use it.

Instructions:
- download alsa-driver-1.0.21 from alsa homepage
- unpack downloaded alsa:
Code:
$ tar jxvf alsa-driver-1.0.21.tar.bz2
- download and apply my patch
Code:
$ wget http://www.apksoft.eu/opensource/alsa-driver-1.0.21-nvidia-ion2-hdmi.patch
$ cd alsa-driver-1.0.21
$ patch -p 1 < ../alsa-driver-1.0.21-nvidia-ion2-hdmi.patch
- compile alsa
Code:
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

You should now have alsa support for nVidia HDMI audio (after reboot aplay -l should contain the nVidia HDMI device). The rest should be the same as when using the original patch (setting up mixer and alsa configuration files).

SEO: nVidia ION2 HDMI audio no sound alsa linux
with the new dharma beta 3 i didnt need to do anything just select the appropriate settings in xbmc.
Previously i had to fiddle around with other stuff aswell to get it to work
Press THANK USER if I Help
XBMC Live [Dharma] 10.1 - Installed EVGA GT210 - added file "sudo nano /etc/asound.conf" for menu sound
Code:
pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hw:0,3"
       rate 48000
   }
}
In XBMC System => System => Audio output [Both Audio Out and passthrough] on custom "plughw:0,3" [Card 0, Device 3 from "aplay -l" in telnet]

Music - Cross-fading Doesn't Work {Failed to initialize Audio Device}

Update: Didn't need to put custom "plughw:0,3" "HDA Nvidia hdmi" works also.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa1