• 4(current)
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa
My GT220 is working with:

Code:
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

Credits to NemoN from the vdr-portal.de forum
spykos Wrote:@moep

I understood that with your G210 you only had to modify the sound.conf. You had to use the patch as well ? I am a bit confused here!

I initially spent 3 full days trying to get the card to work and tried just about everything in the process, including various patches and options.

At some point I did get it to work and actually lost track of the things I modified… in particular the patched module in …/pci instead of …/pci/hda which overrode the (default) modules in …/pci/hda.

Long story short, yes, I too had to use the patched module to make it work. I simply forgot about it it and thought it wasn’t required at all.
semerchet Wrote:My GT220 is working with:

Code:

Thanks...you're my Hero :-)

This works for my GT220 too. Without "enable_msi=0" i got the looping/broken sound. No need to copy the ko file. Just apply the last patch on alsa-driver 1.0.22.1 and install it. Then modify/create the /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf.

My System: uptodate Archlinux, Gainward GT220

aPe
semerchet Wrote:My GT220 is working with:

Code:

Got mine GT220 working with this too!!! thanks!!!

In xbmc everythings seems perfect all channel mapped correctly but when i use

speaker-test -Dplughw:1,3 -c6
the outputs seems mixed central channel is subwoofer etc...
XBMC SVN (updated every week) ubuntu Karmic 64bits
Intel E5200/ 3 Go Ram / Nvidia GT220 1Go / 6To (1.5To x 4 Raid 5)
Nice to see the GT220 working as well!

I think that rather than editing the OP we should create a new wiki page here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Tips_And_Tricks

so people with different cards can contribute their fixes. This thread is already confusing enough as it is. Wink
Ok so it looks like we all need the patch.

@moep & ape_sinklair

Did you compile the kernel from ABS after applying the patch ?

The .ko patch from moep did not work for me. Card is only listed in lspci
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
spykos Wrote:Ok so it looks like we all need the patch.

@moep & ape_sinklair

Did you compile the kernel from ABS after applying the patch ?

The .ko patch from moep did not work for me. Card is only listed in lspci
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

try putting it in …/pci instead of …/pci/hda

I didn’t recompile the kernel, no.

Oh, and please do a lspci -nn | grep nvidia
tried the pci location but still notthing. After you put your file do i need to run mkinitcpio again or a reboot is enough ?

detailed outpout of lspci
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce 210] [10de:0a65] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be3] (rev a1)

how did you manage to apply the patch on alsa drivers ? when i run ./configure I get the following

checking for directory with ALSA kernel sources... ./configure: line 5107: cd: ../alsa-kmirror: No such file or directory
../alsa-kmirror
checking for directory with kernel source... ./configure: line 5132: cd: /usr/src/linux: No such file or directory
/usr/src/linux
checking for directory with kernel build...
checking for kernel linux/version.h... no
The file /include/linux/version.h does not exist.
Please install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
sources (default is /usr/src/linux).
only paoleary can help you with that, he created all patch files.
I prefer to edit the files manually.
so you edited the files and then you did not issue ./configure on alsa-drivers ?
spykos Wrote:so you edited the files and then you did not issue ./configure on alsa-drivers ?

Edit the files, ./configure and ./make in the root directory of the files you extracted and then manually copy the .ko to where it should be.
moep Wrote:Edit the files, ./configure and ./make in the root directory of the files you extracted and then manually copy the .ko to where it should be.

but there is a problem as I wrote above
./configure fails without even editing the files (so can't proceed with make!)
please see my earlier post
spykos Wrote:Please install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
sources (default is /usr/src/linux).

You need the full kernel sources for your kernel image to build alsa drivers.
moep Wrote:I initially spent 3 full days trying to get the card to work and tried just about everything in the process, including various patches and options.

At some point I did get it to work and actually lost track of the things I modified… in particular the patched module in …/pci instead of …/pci/hda which overrode the (default) modules in …/pci/hda.

Long story short, yes, I too had to use the patched module to make it work. I simply forgot about it it and thought it wasn’t required at all.

Sure you don't have your modified sources stashed somewhere? That diff would be nice, in case you're doing something different and it matters.
Yey! got it working now!
Started over again, fresh source of alsa driver, patched with paoleary's last and added "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2" to sound.conf.
What I also did (I dont know if this mathers) was to compile and install both alsa-lib and alsa-utils.
Since I'm running XBMC Live installed on hd, I had to add the source repository to /etc/apt/sources.list
(deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted)

And followed this guide to install the deps:
Upgrade Alsa

As I was saying, I don't know if this is the reason it now works, but it was the only difference.

Btw. I've got a GT220 card.

Thanks everyone for all the help! Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa1