• 5(current)
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa
paoleary Wrote:Sure you don't have your modified sources stashed somewhere? That diff would be nice, in case you're doing something different and it matters.

I’ll try dig them up when I’m at home.
I don’t think theres more to it than replacing the codec-ids to match the gpus. Everything else is already there…
I've just got one small problem left with the sound!
Like "sensei73" my channels are also mixed up, both in xbmc and while using speaker-test -Dplughw:1,3 -c6

My left surround plays center, and center plays left surround, right surround plays subwoofer, and subwoofer plays right surround..

Any ideas on how to remap these? I'm currently googling it, but haven't found anything yet!

UPDATE:
"Fixed", seems like the a receiver "error", I checked both ac3 and dts in xbmc settings, and selected pure-audio on my receiver, and it works great!

But since speaker-test gives me wrong channel-mappings, something is probably wrong!
Hey All,

I tried again this morning with My GT240 and adding the msi option in sound.conf with the last nvhdmi patch only. and still no go for audio. It works and the video portion seems fine again just no passthrough to the rcvr.

How do I check the actual id's of the card. if i run lspci the output is

audio device 0be4 I believe and is not listed as GT240 as some report with their GT220's but I do see GT240 HDMI in Alsamixer.

What manufactured cards are people using, I am trying Asus GT240 1Gb GDDR5, I notice that some of the cards still have the spdif input on them including the Gt-220 and I thought that all the 220's on had on-board audio codec it is somewhat confusing to say the least. I was gonna pick up the Asus GT-220 1Gb and try it out as well I would love to see a passive cooled model. I gotta get this to work the smoothness is amazing. panning shots are perfectly smooth as well even with animated stuff like Family Guy etc..

It would be great if we could actually come up with a smooth how-to for this.

**Note that link that kjetil posted to the ALSA upgrade page gave me a resident shield trojan error when I opened it with a downloader problem. I virus vaulted and and ran another avg scan to dump it, I have not seen any issues since I got the message***

Regards.

Dave
Hi, first of all nice job here.
But for me a problem remains. I do have a G210 (there is no such thing as a GT210 though). I applied the patch to the alsa source, compiled and now aplay -l lists two more NVIDIA devices. So good so far. I then added the sound.conf option and voila only one NVIDIA device left in aplay -l and in alsa mixer 4 spdifs turned into just one.

Here is the problem though. If I run speaker-test -Dplughw:1,3 -c6 or -c2 or what so ever it only goes to testing the front left speaker which in fact produces some sound, but never goes forward to test front right speaker and so on.
Turning NVIDIA HDMI on sounds seems to work with music, but once I go back to a menu or start a movie the sound starts to stutter. Even with passthrough for AC3 and DTS enabled the receiver just gets stuttering input. I can see this by a flickering ac3 resp. dts symbol in the receiver display.
I also notice a huge fps drop on videos that is synchronous with the audio stutter. Where the CPU is only little utilized something between 5% and 10%.

Any ideas? May be fixing the speaker test issue fixes the xbmc playback issue as well?
Just FYI this is what aplay -l shows after recompiling alsa with the patch:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC887 Analog [ALC887 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC887 Digital [ALC887 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

I can even do a speaker test on plughw:1,7 with the same effect of only testing front left, after appling the option in sound.conf
only the first NVIDIA device remains.
semerchet Wrote:My GT220 is working with:

Code:
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

Credits to NemoN from the vdr-portal.de forum

You sire are my hero! Now it works properly for me as well! :-D

Quote:$ lspci -nn|grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce 210] [10de:0a65] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be3] (rev a1)

Gainward GeForce G210 (passive cooled model) running under Arch Linux with 2.6.32.7 kernel and alsa-driver 1.0.22.1+patch.
HTPC: Antec NSK2480 | ASUS M3A78-EM (AMD 780G) | AMD Athlon X3 425 | 4x2048MB PC6400 | Gainward GeForce G210 | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64) | xbmc-git
I just patch alsa-driver 1.0.22.1 with what paeleary provide and I have a mixer now with my GT220 (NB: I did not recompile and install the alsa and utilities 1.0.22) but no output sound (I un-muted the only SPDIF channel I have with alsamixer). My ONKYO TX-NR807 receiver say that HDMI is there but the display say "No Signal" Sad and I have no sound... I'm not very far. I have another sound card from Turtle Beach that works on an optical SPDIF input on my receiver and it is working properly. I also have standard home theater device like a BluRay player and a cablebox (SA4250HD) working perfectly on HDMI with full DTS-HD.

Here is what I have:

lspci -nn|grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce GT 220] [10de:0a20] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:0be2] (rev a1)

0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xd8000000 irq 16

01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0be2 (rev a1)

snd-hda-intel: power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
snd_hda_intel: index=0
snd-hda-intel: enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2

!!Module: snd_hda_intel
bdl_pos_adj : 32,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1
beep_mode : 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
enable : Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y
enable_msi : 0
id : <NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>
index : 0,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1
model : <NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>
patch : <NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>,<NULL>
position_fix : 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
power_save : 10
power_save_controller : N
probe_mask : 65522,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1
probe_only : N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N
single_cmd : N

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

and still no sound even with aplay -D plughw:0,3 test.wav

Any ideas ?
Hi

Thanks ! Got GT220 working, too.
The only issue is not having "skin" sounds. Is there an option I missed ?

Regards
Janusz
Great thread, another GT220 up and running!

Edit: does anyone who have their HDMI audio working in XBMC have it working in any other applications?
Hey All,

Picked up an Asus GT-220 tonight and dropped it in place of the GT-240 and it worked right away, although channel mapping on trued hd was still an issue as the center channel info was in the left rear channel.

I edited as per this post

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=492...tcount=254

and that is now ok. DTS is ok. I have to try uncompressed as well yet.

A few things I have to iron out now though my usplash on shutdown is a mess of green-red-purple and blue which it never was before and finally my custom xorg.conf file was working perfectly at 60hz and switching to 24 on required films, now it boots up in default 24hz and then tries to switch to 24hz causing very bad playback. so now I have to play around with that file again.

Regards,

Dave
As I mentioned a couple of pages ago--I also get the speaker-test (and aplay) problem, so this isn't quite licked yet. I also assume my channel mappings are probably screwed up, but I have no way to verify that since I don't have an 8-channel speaker system (just stereo on the TV for now, and the immediate future).

The other piece of the puzzle is the remaining GT2xx GPU, the GT240 (by the way, there's no GT210, but the G210 is the GT200 according to lspci, so GT2xx still stands).

Adding enable_msi=0 seems to have helped, as speaker-test now manages to not stutter FronFronFronFron... and never finish. However, "Front Right" is the only one that plays on my 2-channel output device. Similarly, aplay with a 6-channel test WAV also plays "Front Right", but again, at least it finishes. What's odd is that it appears that enable_msi should be zero by default according to the documentation. Still, we're making progress. A couple pages back, moep suggested creating a wiki page. I think it's probably time.
Hey, when trying to apply the patch from http://pastebin.com/f685b419a using patch -p1 < filename I get 8 of 8 hunks fail. I don't know how to fix that so any help is appreciated. Looking forward to getting my gt220 to work. I just downloaded a fresh alsa driver and tossed the file in the folder and tried patching it but it still failed. Thanks ahead of time.

EDIT: saw it changed to patch -p1 -d sound < filename and only hunk 8 failed this time
insomniacp Wrote:Hey, when trying to apply the patch from http://pastebin.com/f685b419a using patch -p1 < filename I get 8 of 8 hunks fail. I don't know how to fix that so any help is appreciated. Looking forward to getting my gt220 to work. I just downloaded a fresh alsa driver and tossed the file in the folder and tried patching it but it still failed. Thanks ahead of time.

I think it has problems if you download the entire page. Hit the "download" link near the top of the patch. Alternatively, there's a link in the wiki page...

Fortunately, we now have some wiki-power! Go check it out.
I was using the actual filename that it was downloaded to. I am smarter than that Wink It seemed to work this time... I copied the file into the sound directory and then did
sudo patch -p1 < filename
And it seemed to like this better for some reason. Anyway, thanks for link to the wiki page it will make things much more orderly for me.
insomniacp Wrote:I was using the actual filename that it was downloaded to. I am smarter than that Wink It seemed to work this time... I copied the file into the sound directory and then did
sudo patch -p1 < filename
And it seemed to like this better for some reason. Anyway, thanks for link to the wiki page it will make things much more orderly for me.

Hope it helps. Didn't mean to imply anything, btw. Smile

Now, onward to the report:

Noticing that how well the audio works depends on what video I play. Recorded TV shows work fine, but an episode of Cooking With Dog (mirobridge'd into MythTV), of all things, has tons of audio dropouts and corresponding video slowdown. DVDs also are problematic.

I probably won't be able to get heavily into working through this until this coming weekend, but anyone else is welcome to pick up the torch.

UPDATE: Okay, after some diffing and going back through the git history, it appears that HD_AUDIO-9.10.tar.gz is indeed written against an older release of ALSA. I'm not surprised, but there was no way to be sure if Wei Ni had completely rewritten it and just not posted it upstream yet. Notably, my patch wipes out this commit. I think we're going to need to figure out how to forward port this. My naive first attempt just updated the PCI IDs, but that didn't really work. Gonna try something like that again, and make sure I do it correctly. Will keep you posted.

UPDATE 2: Didn't work (device appears and is unmuted but no sound), which is what I expected. What appears to have happened is nVidia's development (in HD_AUDIO-9.10.tar.gz) diverged from ALSA mainline. Now it's a matter of figuring out how.

UPDATE 3: Found a bug that's probably holding up the GT240 people. New patch; I've already fixed the wiki.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa1