• 7(current)
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa
Makes no difference. Should I report as an alsa bug? :confused2:
snoopy20 Wrote:Makes no difference. Should I report as an alsa bug? :confused2:

HI!
I had also problem that no sound from hdmi.
Lot of work around it but now suddenly sound comes from TV via hdmi cableBig Grin

I think that important thing is that you have to dissable all other sound card from bios. I have there integrated Geforce 7 series chip. Disabled its audio from bios and I am using only GT220 PCIE audio now.

asound.conf and modprobe.d/sound.conf as shown at xbmc gt220 wiki page or at this thread.

BR Jbu1
Already tried, didn't make a difference. I've reported as an alsa bug.
paoleary Wrote:Hope it helps. Didn't mean to imply anything, btw. Smile

Now, onward to the report:

Noticing that how well the audio works depends on what video I play. Recorded TV shows work fine, but an episode of Cooking With Dog (mirobridge'd into MythTV), of all things, has tons of audio dropouts and corresponding video slowdown. DVDs also are problematic.

I probably won't be able to get heavily into working through this until this coming weekend, but anyone else is welcome to pick up the torch.

UPDATE: Okay, after some diffing and going back through the git history, it appears that HD_AUDIO-9.10.tar.gz is indeed written against an older release of ALSA. I'm not surprised, but there was no way to be sure if Wei Ni had completely rewritten it and just not posted it upstream yet. Notably, my patch wipes out this commit. I think we're going to need to figure out how to forward port this. My naive first attempt just updated the PCI IDs, but that didn't really work. Gonna try something like that again, and make sure I do it correctly. Will keep you posted.

UPDATE 2: Didn't work (device appears and is unmuted but no sound), which is what I expected. What appears to have happened is nVidia's development (in HD_AUDIO-9.10.tar.gz) diverged from ALSA mainline. Now it's a matter of figuring out how.

UPDATE 3: Found a bug that's probably holding up the GT240 people. New patch; I've already fixed the wiki.

I tried patching the 22.1 drivers using your patch in update #3 but 7/8 chunks failed.

patching file pci/hda/patch_nvhdmi.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 29.
Hunk #2 succeeded at 279 (offset 13 lines).
Hunk #3 FAILED at 620.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 637.
Hunk #5 FAILED at 809.
Hunk #6 FAILED at 828.
Hunk #7 FAILED at 849.
Hunk #8 FAILED at 871.
Whoops I see patch is included now. Oh well, still not working Sad
rodercot Wrote:Hey All,

I tried again this morning with My GT240 and adding the msi option in sound.conf with the last nvhdmi patch only. and still no go for audio. It works and the video portion seems fine again just no passthrough to the rcvr.

How do I check the actual id's of the card. if i run lspci the output is

audio device 0be4 I believe and is not listed as GT240 as some report with their GT220's but I do see GT240 HDMI in Alsamixer.

What manufactured cards are people using, I am trying Asus GT240 1Gb GDDR5, I notice that some of the cards still have the spdif input on them including the Gt-220 and I thought that all the 220's on had on-board audio codec it is somewhat confusing to say the least. I was gonna pick up the Asus GT-220 1Gb and try it out as well I would love to see a passive cooled model. I gotta get this to work the smoothness is amazing. panning shots are perfectly smooth as well even with animated stuff like Family Guy etc..

It would be great if we could actually come up with a smooth how-to for this.

**Note that link that kjetil posted to the ALSA upgrade page gave me a resident shield trojan error when I opened it with a downloader problem. I virus vaulted and and ran another avg scan to dump it, I have not seen any issues since I got the message***

Regards.

Dave

Same problem with mine (Palet GTX240) which doesn't seem to be passing spdif over. I've reported as an ALSA bug (see latest bugs it's still at top) and I'll try nvnews.net for some help and report back.
snoopy20 Wrote:Same problem with mine (Palet GTX240) which doesn't seem to be passing spdif over. I've reported as an ALSA bug (see latest bugs it's still at top) and I'll try nvnews.net for some help and report back.

Wait, I'm reading this again--there's no SPDIF passthrough, or at least there shouldn't be. Some passively-cooled boards left an open header for fan power which uses an identical connector to the SPDIF passthrough, but does not serve the same purpose.
i dropped an asus g210 in this afternoon, and got audio pretty much out of the box... but my rear speakers are being mapped as side speakers instead of the rear speakers that they actually are... so 5.1 isn't quite working correctly.

anyone know how to remap to rear?
pyite Wrote:i dropped an asus g210 in this afternoon, and got audio pretty much out of the box... but my rear speakers are being mapped as side speakers instead of the rear speakers that they actually are... so 5.1 isn't quite working correctly.

anyone know how to remap to rear?

I believe this can be done with an appropriately formed alsa.conf.
paoleary Wrote:Wait, I'm reading this again--there's no SPDIF passthrough, or at least there shouldn't be. Some passively-cooled boards left an open header for fan power which uses an identical connector to the SPDIF passthrough, but does not serve the same purpose.

Yeah, I didn't mean I was wiring spdif from the mainboard to the card. As you know it's handled "internally". Working fine in Windows, it's just ALSA not liking the 240...
Looking like a NVIDIA bug: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthre...999&page=3
That seems to only affect mainboard HDMI, though. Discrete cards are working for most everyone, myself included, even on 195.xx drivers.
I've sorted it, it's a bug with the NVIDIA drivers. If the resolution of the HDMI port is switched to "off" in NVIDIA control panel then SPDIF isn't passed through either.

In windows this can be done, in my case I have a Sony Reciever attached which doesn't need video. Having to use "clone" instead of "off" means you cant use Twinview on the other two video outputs.
I've got an ASUS GT240 512MB DDR5, installed XBMCFreak Generic 4 yesterday, ran the ALSA update script with snapshot and xbmc no longer complains about the hdmi device.

In my: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0

(perhaps I should add the probe_mask=0xfff2)

However, it didn't produce sound...

aplay -l shows the devices, alsamixer shows the spdifs are unmuted.

speaker-test -Dhdmi gives nothing.

speaker-test -Dhwplug:0,3 give nothing

Then...

speaker-test -Dhwplug:0,7

works, then, everything else works.

speaker-test -Dhdmi works, speaker-test -Dhwplug:0,3 works...
xbmc works.

I suppose I could just tell xbmc to use hwplug:0,3 directly. Or setup asound.conf to use that as default, but early attempts seemed to result in a syntax error Sad

pcm.!default plughw:0,7
pcm:iec958 plughw:0,7

Any ideas?
josefwells Wrote:I've got an ASUS GT240 512MB DDR5, installed XBMCFreak Generic 4 yesterday, ran the ALSA update script with snapshot and xbmc no longer complains about the hdmi device.

In my: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0

(perhaps I should add the probe_mask=0xfff2)

However, it didn't produce sound...

aplay -l shows the devices, alsamixer shows the spdifs are unmuted.

speaker-test -Dhdmi gives nothing.

speaker-test -Dhwplug:0,3 give nothing

Then...

speaker-test -Dhwplug:0,7

works, then, everything else works.

speaker-test -Dhdmi works, speaker-test -Dhwplug:0,3 works...
xbmc works.

I suppose I could just tell xbmc to use hwplug:0,3 directly. Or setup asound.conf to use that as default, but early attempts seemed to result in a syntax error Sad

pcm.!default plughw:0,7
pcm:iec958 plughw:0,7

Any ideas?

(FIXED)
I just set XMBC audio device to plughw:0,7 and it works.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa1