• 8(current)
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa
I'm running an GT220 card and can confirm the audio over hdmi is working with a 2.6.33 kernel, a recent alsa-driver snapshot (not all recent ones seem to compile..) on my archlinux setup using nvidia 195.36.15 drivers.
I do, however, stil have trouble playing multichannel audio with 44.1 kHz DTS files (DTS wav) which is only possible as stereo, when I set audio settings to 5.1 I get noise. (see this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59877 )
Also when I run speaker-test I get no errors but also no sound.

Downgrading my nvidia drivers to an older version seems to be a bit problematic on my archlinux setup (xorg not happy etc) so I have not tried that. Also I read somewhere that the GTX card should have proper multichannel sound using the latest nvidia drivers.

Could someone confirm this issue? And maybe some archlinux guru who knows how to downgrade my nvidia drivers? (my post in the archlinux forums is still unanswered)

Thanks in advance
Let me reply my own post,
I'm using XBMC svn r29323.
It appears that if I'm selecting 5.1 digital output in the sound hardware section I'm getting noise and my receiver indicates it's recieving an "mch pcm 5.1" signal.
If however i select 2.0 digital output in xbmc sound hardware configuration, it gives perfect sound and my receiver shows "DTS 5.1" in the info tab.

Most likely it's an small issue related to the fact that this is an svn build and might be fixed in a future release..
Hi.

Does anybody by any chance know how to get HDMI audio working on nVidia NVS 3100M?
I followed some of the instructions here, and with Alsa 1.0.23 I got four SPDIF outputs. After adding "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2" I have a single SPDIF output. But there is still no sound. My graphics cards is 10de:0a6c, and the audio part of it is 10de:0be3. Any tips, suggestions, etc? Smile

Or maybe anybody knows how to disable HDMI audio completely? With my previous laptop I was able to have video sent over HDMI, and audio using separate cable. With this one, my TV refuses using the audio from the separate cable - I think it's because it thinks it is getting audio over HDMI (which was not capable of sending audio before and now it is). Is there a way to disable it?

Thanks!
sjakub Wrote:Does anybody by any chance know how to get HDMI audio working on nVidia NVS 3100M?

This thread is focused on the GT2xx discrete cards, so you might have better luck asking on nV News, or a new thread in the general help section here at XBMC, wherever that is, which may do a better job of attracting the right knowledge. (Not that I mind you asking here--just trying to get you results!)
Hello everyone, I apologize for my English, I'm using the translator of google because they do not speak English
I bought a Asus SCED ENGT240 1Gb DDR-3 and I do not work the audio over HDMI.
Using Ubuntu 9.10 and have a real incapable!
Who helps me easily?
Thanks to the wiki, i've got lpcm working and passthrough working on both my gt240s (seperate machines).

It alsa works as my default sound device in ubuntu (ubuntu startup sounds work)

But i haven't been able to get the skin (navigation) sounds working. All the info I can find is for the ION chipset.

I have the following in asound.conf

Code:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 7
}

And both audio devices are set to custom and "hw:1,7" in xbmc.

any ideas?
Hi, i've been trying to get sound working on a GT220, I started from scratch, installed xbmc live then did

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau
sudo apt-get update

mkdir alsa
cd alsa
wget http://lockstockmods.net/AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.tar
tar -xvf AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.tar
sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -d
sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -c
sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -i

in /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf i tried

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2
and
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 index=1

the second one set the NVidia device first

aplay -l lists 4 NVidia devices

I went into alsamixer there were 4 spdifs (cant remember if the first was unmuted or not, think it was) unmuted all the other ones.

rebooted several times thoughtout this, nothing has worked then tried

pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
pcm:iec958 hdmi:NVidia

in /etc/asound.conf

Still nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong?

*edit*

I have also used envyng to try 185 drivers, couldn't load xbmc with those, 195 drivers, same issue, and reinstall 190, no joy with any.

Its really frustrating, the onboard HD3200 was good for sound but couldnt handle 1080p movies, i kept reading that the GT220 was the one to go for for linux/live xbmc vdpau, i didn't realise what a sh*t storm i was getting myself into
Kode Wrote:Hi, i've been trying to get sound working on a GT220, I started from scratch, installed xbmc live then did

You did refer to the wiki, right? (Sorry, I didn't scour your post to see whether it was the correct method or not). Your card may only support 2 channel via hdmi like mine.

In the end, I ended up using the spdif on my mobo to get full multichannel digital sound. Probably saved myself several headaches too Wink

NS
kode,

if you are in a normal desktop environment.

run:

gstreamer-properties

change the output to alsa and then try all the nvidia outputs. if one of them works look below the drop down box, you should see something like "hw:1,7" or "hw:0,3" make a note of that.

load up xbmc, in audio settings, select custom and just below press enter and type in the "hw:0,3" from the audio test.

it worked for me.
NotShorty Wrote:You did refer to the wiki, right? (Sorry, I didn't scour your post to see whether it was the correct method or not). Your card may only support 2 channel via hdmi like mine.

In the end, I ended up using the spdif on my mobo to get full multichannel digital sound. Probably saved myself several headaches too Wink

NS

Yes, i referred to the wiki, i have done 3 clean installs trying different ways each time, nothing has worked.

What card have you got?
neil.j1983 Wrote:kode,

if you are in a normal desktop environment.

run:

gstreamer-properties

change the output to alsa and then try all the nvidia outputs. if one of them works look below the drop down box, you should see something like "hw:1,7" or "hw:0,3" make a note of that.

load up xbmc, in audio settings, select custom and just below press enter and type in the "hw:0,3" from the audio test.

it worked for me.

I'm using XBMC Live, what do you mean by normal desktop environment? Do you mean if i was running a normal Ubuntu install underneath? (Obviously i'm not, i think its fluxbox, whereas Ubuntu would be Gnome), however, i could try selecting custom and trying different variables, see if any work, i know the nvidia card comes up on card 0 now and there are entries for (i think, not at the media center atm) 3,7,8,9.

If i start a music track playing, then go to audio settings and change things, if i got a working configuration, would i start hearing the music, or do i need to restart the track/reboot after each change?

Thanks for your replies guys
change your output to hw:0,7 and then try playing something.

worth a shot!
FINALLY!! Some success!!

I tried a few different ones, but plughw:0,7 for audio and passthrough, seems to work Big Grin

Whats the difference between hw and plughw?
Someone kill me!

I updated my XBMC Live last night to see if that would help with my audio issues, im now on XBMC PRE-10.5 r28256, so i dont know if this has anything to do with my new issues.

I now have great 720p/1080p playback, with perfectly in sync 5.1 sound (don't know what it does, how it does, but im getting independant feeds to the channels, thats all i care about) BUT i cant play any SD material... its just all green flickery lines, any ideas??

*edit*

Also i used to press Ctrl + Alt + F1 and get a terminal and could get up to 6 using the various function keys, but now when i try that i get a similar looking green liney screen, i think this only started happening since i updated my xbmc, also pressing exit xbmc goes to the same screen, so its a little difficult to get a terminal to fix anything
so, what does everyone do when they watch videos with only stereo?

do you get it sent as 2.0LPCM or does it send as 5.1LPCM with only FL and FR giving audio?

I would very much like to know.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa1