• 9(current)
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa
Any updates out there for getting the audio on slightly older nVidia cards (a 9300 in my case) fully working again in Lucid Lynx?
Wow, all of a sudden people started posting here again. I've just gone through and did some wiki-maintenance, noting that the drivers are also included with the latest kernel release, and removing most of the ALSA installation section which no longer applies (as no patching is necessary).

@Kode: You probably want the nV News forum for the green line problem. For the audio, try the following sound.conf:

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 index=1 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

The probe_mask is what tells the driver that there's only one real codec on the audio chip, not four. The index option just forces the driver to take a particular card # in ALSA. With their powers combined...
paoleary: Thanks for the advice, using custom for audio and passthrrough and setting it to plughw:0,7 has worked for me. If i added the probe_mask stuff (which, incidentally, i have done before, can't remember what it did in my case though) could i then just use NVidia HDA HDMI (or whatever it is) rather than setting the custom one?

The green thing is a known problem with displaying SD content on feature set c graphics cards, its been in trac for 5 months http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8337
Woo! Total success with my 9300. Here are the full details:

Lucid Lynx, latest public version of XBMC, Zotac GF9300 D-E.

aplay -l:
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

/etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
Code:
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2

/etc/asound.conf
Code:
pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
pcm:iec958 hdmi:NVidia

pcm.!remap-surround71 {
  type route
  slave.pcm "hw:0,3"
  ttable {
    0.0= 1
    1.1= 1
    2.4= 1
    3.5= 1
    4.2= 1
    5.3= 1
    6.6= 1
    7.7= 1
  }
}

Audio devices in XBMC were set to "plughw:0,3". I get full DD and DTS through HDMI and everything looks like it's working perfectly. I was getting audio before, but it was only able to do 2 channels in analog mode (both in XBMC and using 'speaker-test -c6); adding the sound.conf line completely solved the problem.

A mention in the Wiki would probably be worthwhile. Trying this was my last resort and I'm so glad it worked!
pFranzen Wrote:Woo! Total success with my 9300. Here are the full details:

A mention in the Wiki would probably be worthwhile. Trying this was my last resort and I'm so glad it worked!

Huh, I was under the impression that the 9300, et al., were supported w/o further configuration. Feel free to add your knowledge to the wiki page, though the title might need to be changed. Maybe, "HOW-TO set up integrated (native) nVidia HDMI audio"?
paoleary Wrote:Huh, I was under the impression that the 9300, et al., were supported w/o further configuration. Feel free to add your knowledge to the wiki page, though the title might need to be changed. Maybe, "HOW-TO set up integrated (native) nVidia HDMI audio"?

My personal experience is that it worked fine in Karmic, but the upgrade to Lucid and the 190.x nVidia drivers broke multi-channel audio. I've been trying to get DD/DTS over HDMI working again for the last week or so, and this is what finally got it functional again.
pFranzen Wrote:My personal experience is that it worked fine in Karmic, but the upgrade to Lucid and the 190.x nVidia drivers broke multi-channel audio. I've been trying to get DD/DTS over HDMI working again for the last week or so, and this is what finally got it functional again.

This nV News forum thread will probably like to hear from you, too.
This is weird!

When I try to create a sound.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d with the line from pfranzen and I reboot, the system cannot recognize my sound card anymore (Zotac with 9400M).

pfranzen, do you have anything else in that configuration file (sound.conf) or just that options line? Do you get white noise in every speakers when you run speaker-test -Dhdmi -c6? What version of the nvidia driver?

The issue is that we have DD and DTS working with Lucid and latest XBMC PPA but we cannot get multi-channels pcm output. The problem starts when you try to playback a True-HD audio track...

Anybody else who got a Zotac (or Revo) working with Lucid and multi-channel pcm with latest nvidia drivers?
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up an Asus 210 based card and I am trying to get HDMI audio working as well.

My problem at the moment is that Alsa is reporting no controls for this device. I a musing Arch Linux like a few others here. I just did a full system update and I have the following versions:

Code:
kernel26 2.6.33.4-1
nvidia 195.36.15-2
alsa-lib 1.0.23-1
alsa-utils 1.0.23-1

Do I need to manually make the module as described earlier in the thread with the patch? I thought not according to the wiki. Arch isn't loading the snd-hda-codec-nvhdmi on it's own for some reason. I can insmod or modprobe it and it loads but no change in alsamixer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin
After several attempts and reloading Ubuntu on several occasions, going to float this out there and see if someone smarter than I can point out whatever dumb thing I am doing.

Using Lucid and the ALSA 1.0.23 install script. This is an Asus NVIDIA GT 220 card (no SPDIF). Same issue(s) with NVIDIA Drivers 195 and 256 Beta.

Using this for the Modprobe:
Code:
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0

I get this:
Code:
xbmc@Front:~$ aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

Using this modprobe:
Code:
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2

I get this instead:
Code:
xbmc@Front:~$ aplay -l

But in doing so the Syslog throws errors like this:
Code:
azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode:
ALSA hda_intel.c:1420: Codec #7 probe error; disabling it...

Testing seems to work, but produces no sound. Tried card 0, devices 3, 7, 8, and 9. Same issue with aplay and speaker-test. i.e.
Code:
aplay -D plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
and
Code:
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3

Verified the user is in the right group:
Code:
xbmc@Front:~$ groups
xbmc cdrom audio video plugdev fuse admin

This is an Asus M4A785-M motherboard with an onboard ATI 4200. Both it and the audio have been disabled. Maybe just stared at this thing too long to figure out is wrong. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I dont think i got any sound when trying speaker-test, i just went into xbmc and tried using custom for audio and passthrough and setting it to plughw:0,7, have you tried that (in xbmc, not terminal) and tried changing 7 to the other ones if that doesn't work?

Also are you trying speaker-test from a terminal or from an xserver (fluxbox on live) as i think it needs to be in an xserver.
Kode Wrote:I dont think i got any sound when trying speaker-test, i just went into xbmc and tried using custom for audio and passthrough and setting it to plughw:0,7, have you tried that (in xbmc, not terminal) and tried changing 7 to the other ones if that doesn't work?

Also are you trying speaker-test from a terminal or from an xserver (fluxbox on live) as i think it needs to be in an xserver.

Tried setting to plughw:0,3 in XBMC as well as the "HDA NVIDIA" and regular HDMI. With and without the asound.conf specifying the defaults. This last time when I re-installed Ubuntu I left off XBMC for the time being. It was reserving the hardware which wouldn't allow testing, figured I would ge tthe sound working first this time. Had not tried the 0,7 and other settings in XBMC though, may need to give that a shot unless there are other suggestions that work. Thanks so much.
I understand your pain, when i bought my GT220 it was supposed to be a quick fix to get 1080p working. I spent about 14 hours trying to get it to work, following every guide i could find, reinstalling live several times to start from scratch while following a different guide.

Someone mentioned trying custom and trying different possibilities in there, first one i tried, nothing happened, second one i tried... THERE WAS SOUND! Nearly fell off the sofa.

Then i suddenly realised, not only was there sound, but for the first time since i spent nearly £2k on my speaker setup (Onkyo 577 Receiver + Wharfedale 10.1's + 10.5's + 10CM + BK XLS200 Sub) there was proper 5.1 sound coming from my htpc, i'm sure you can imagine the grin Wink
sgeoxd Wrote:But in doing so the Syslog throws errors like this:
Code:
azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode:
ALSA hda_intel.c:1420: Codec #7 probe error; disabling it...

Those are advisory, and directly related to the option setting; did you try getting audio out in this configuration?
Sonofa. Glad it was a simple fix. Thanks so much Kode, you were dead on.

Needless to say I was ecstatic hearing noise when using all 3 of these in XBMC via "Custom":
Code:
plughw:0,7
plughw:0,8
plughw:0,9

Granted, running HDMI direct to the TV right now. So I had to turn off AC3 and DTS. So the weird clicking is gone, works beautifully now.

For the final config I do not have an asound.conf and had removed the probe_mask setting in the sound.conf file, simply using:
Code:
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0

That eliminated the warning message, but based on other forum posts and feedback from paoleary, it should not be a "fatal" error (for anyone reading this). Just wanted to be sure to have as much info as possible to see if something caught an eye.

So I guess, let that be a lesson for anyone else. Running X may be necessary to get actual sound to come out.

Thanks again to everyone, especially paoleary for making all of this possible and the effort to always help. Your posts are everywhere and so helpful.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto: working GT2XX HDMI audio out with alsa1