Which filesystem do you use?
Hi,
I'm wondering which filesystem you are using for additional hdds, where you are just saving videos and music. ext2, ext3, ext4 or maybe hfs+? I'm asking, because I've got a new hdd for may XBMC machine and until now I used my external drive, which is also connected to my macbook and uses hfs+. So I want to know which filesystem would be the "best" for my xbmc machine and also if I would want to connect the hdd to an other machine (windows, mac, standalone) one day.

Thanks!
i think the biggest problem will be windows and eventually Mac.

with vfat you are on the right side, if you want use this HDD on Mac, Windows and Linux
greetings, Stephan

I use ext4 for internal HDs and NTFS for external HDs.

Linux ext4 is quite advanced file system, well suited for both small and large files. It works extremely well if Linux is the only OS accessing this data.

NTFS provides the best journaling while still providing the best compatibility. NTFS is native for Windows, and modern Linuxes have full read-write support as well.
michael37 Wrote:I use ext4 for internal HDs and NTFS for external HDs.

Linux ext4 is quite advanced file system, well suited for both small and large files. It works extremely well if Linux is the only OS accessing this data.

NTFS provides the best journaling while still providing the best compatibility. NTFS is native for Windows, and modern Linuxes have full read-write support as well.

NTFS cannot be used for Mac AFAIK, because MacOS have no writesupport for this. so NTFS "providing" not the best compatibility.
greetings, Stephan

openelec.tv Wrote:NTFS cannot be used for Mac AFAIK, because MacOS have no writesupport for this. so NTFS "providing" not the best compatibility.
Hmm I've tested MacOS once about 1,5 years ago on my pc it has ntfs writesupport just like Linus with ntfs-3g.
decaturguy Wrote:Hmm I've tested MacOS once about 1,5 years ago on my pc it has ntfs writesupport just like Linus with ntfs-3g.

is this included so an actual MacOS and/or AppleTV can use this "out of the box" now?
greetings, Stephan

openelec.tv Wrote:is this included so an actual MacOS and/or AppleTV can use this "out of the box" now?

No, sadly it's not, but it works perfect.
I run a Hackintosh OS on my PC and the Leopard OS drive is HFS+. All other drives are NTFS (internal & external). I'm using the Paragon NTFS driver and it works flawlessly. Basically makes NTFS a native file system on Mac. I have not tried, but NTFS-3g driver can most likely be installed on Mac if you install Macports on your Mac. In short, NTFS will be the most compatible if you plan to use the drive in many machines. If you are a Mac only person (no windows ever), then I would go with HFS+. Linux FS support on other OS's sucks. (Although Paragon does offer a EXT driver for Mac OS.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which filesystem do you use?0