XBMC with Component Output
Hi,

I currently have a xbox\xbmc which has done me really well but now having lots of 1080p videos which i can play in my lounge, i cannot play in the bedroom and need to upgrade my streamer. I have a Denon 3805 which doesn't have any HDMI ports and is connected to my Panasonic PWD6 via Component to VGA.

I was thinking of getting the acer revo but i will have to spend money on a converter getting it to output component.

Is there anything i could buy which has component output and capable of playing 1080p to 720p.

Thanks in advance.
Lots of videocards have a component output, but I have never seen an integrated one with it.
And I just did a quick look...seems HDMI to component converters are not cheap...

Why don't you just run audio from the Revo directly to your TV's HDMI input and the audio to the Denon?

IMHO, it's worth the saving of 100$ to press 1-2 buttons Smile
My TV only has a VGA input which is being used by the denon receiver.

i know the bedroom equipment is getting old but not old enough to replace it just yet.

may just have to build a htpc with a component video output. Sad
I have almost the exact same setup as you - denon 3803 receiver and panny 6uy plasma. I'm pretty sure your TV has component inputs too by the way, mine has both VGA and component (also svideo) maybe look again? the component inputs need bnc converters if I remember correctly (about 5 bucks).

Both units are outstanding and I have no desire to replace them. My long search for component output video cards/htpcs was frustrating to say the least. I finally ended up buying an HDMI to component/vga converter from amazon but, while lots of people found it worked great, it just made the video too dark (this was on my WDTV). I did try bypassing the receiver but it didn't help. You could definitely try one of these and return it if you didn't like it. I think it was like 80 bucks.

Finally, I decided to go the appleTV route. I bought a used 40g atv on ebay for about 100 bucks. the positives are: built in component output, built in remote control. Downside is you need to also buy the Broadcom CrystalHD card which replaces the aTV's wireless card.

That being said, I now have this system set up and it is working GREAT. the drivers for the card are still considered experimental, but I'm very satisfied. The video quality from the component output of this unit is fantastic.
i think i may go the apple tv route as it has a remote too and i can run xbmc. Sounds like the perfect solution but i live in the UK so sourcing the card and apple tv cheap be difficult.

Thanks for the help.
Not sure if you sorted this yet - but the panny has terminal boards available.

There are a couple with component input - one with RCA connectors and one with BNC.

The BNC one doubles as RGB input as well.

The non-bnc board comes in two sizes a double with terminal taking up 2 slots and a component.

There are a couple on ebay at the moment if I remember rightly.

Was working out if it was time to change my PWD6, but decided not to.

I have component board ( BNC ) version in use now and the VGA port.

Hope it helps.

PM me if you need more info.

Simon
I'd be really surprised if your panny didn't have have at least 1 component video input with either BNC or RCA jacks. I have the model year before yours (5-series) and it has BNC based component video input.

Anyway your real question is how to get decent component video output from a small form factor HTPC. I looked pretty hard and didn't find any SFF or integrated solution that included component video out - I use an Extron 12x8 component video matrix switch to feed my whole house video system, so I needed component video output as well. I decided to go with the Asrock Ion 330 series computer (bought 2) and the HDFury2 converter

http://www.curtpalme.com/HDFury2.shtm

It's not dirt cheap, but it was much less expensive than most of the other solutions out there at $199. It works great with the onboard NVIDIA chipset, but if you do go this route, make sure you also purchase the power adapter - the onboard HDMI connection didn't provide enough power in my case.
Hi,

I'm still trying to source a Apple TV and broadcom HD Crystal.

To clarify, my pwd6 has slots to fit different inputs boards. My pannel came with a scart input board and has the standard VGA input. Because i use my denon to connect all my components, i only used the vga port so sold the scart board so the only input i have is vga which my denon is connected to.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC with Component Output0