Jaunty or Karmic?
I'm new to linux and have had a steep learning curve since buyin my revo 3610. I currently have full fat karmic and xbmc 9.11 but have issues with lip synch in mkv's and some form of dynamic brightness within Karmic that makes the screen go dark and light randomly (not a TV issue). So Im wondering if its worth going to the older jaunty, is it worth the hassle?

TIA d3fiant
Acer Revo 3610 : 2GB RAM : 320GB HDD : Ubuntu 10.4.1 : XBMC dharma final : Sony Bavia 40" over HDMI
It's not too much hastle if you have a thumb drive. install live on a thumbdrive and then try downgrading the kernel. This way you don't make perminant changes to your media center.

Keep in mind though, XBMC does rely on some of the 9.11 core features. You may get errors.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
What 9.11 core features? 8.04 LTS works nicely here. Waiting patiently for the next LTS build.
d3fiant Wrote:I'm new to linux and have had a steep learning curve since buyin my revo 3610. I currently have full fat karmic and xbmc 9.11 but have issues with lip synch in mkv's and some form of dynamic brightness within Karmic that makes the screen go dark and light randomly (not a TV issue). So Im wondering if its worth going to the older jaunty, is it worth the hassle?

TIA d3fiant

I had mkv issues and installing mplayer-nogui fixed it for me. Dramatic difference.

sudo apt-get install mplayer-nogui
I have noticed my XBMC install is jaunty, while a lot of other programs are karmic. Can I change my XBMC to karmic? What's the difference anyway?
Karmic is the newest version of Ubuntu. It is still pretty new. I tried to install my Revo with minimal Karmic and XBMC, but on Karmic I never could get SMB working. Works flawlessy on Jaunty. I still think they have some bugs to iron out in Karmic. For XBMC I don't think the version of ubuntu matters if you are running XBMC only like an appliance (as long as it supports all of the needed features of XBMC).

Also, I wouldn't install MPlayer. XBMC's DVDPlayer handles everything. The only version of XBMC that still has MPlayer is the Xbox version. There was a TRAC ticket out there on A/V sync issues with MakeMKV encoded files. It is being addressed.

My encodes are .MKV done with Handbrake and sometimes re-muxed with MKVMerge. I'm on Jaunty and XBMC 9.11 and both types of files play back in sync.
hogfan Wrote:Karmic is the newest version of Ubuntu. It is still pretty new. I tried to install my Revo with minimal Karmic and XBMC, but on Karmic I never could get SMB working.

FWIW, Karmic SMB to a Samba server works fine for me. I haven't tried to a real Windows share though.
FishOil Wrote:I had mkv issues and installing mplayer-nogui fixed it for me. Dramatic difference.

sudo apt-get install mplayer-nogui

AFAIK, mplayer-nogui has no effect on XBMC unless you configure it as an external player. What was happening in another thread is that installing mplayer-nogui had dependencies on NVIDIA VDPAU being installed correctly, so that was fixing poorly installed VDPAU drivers.
Thanks for all the replies but I believe I have got it. I am running Karmic full fat, nvidia 190.53 and both SD and HD vids are playing flawless using VDPAU. Not sure on the SMB front but I can acess shares on my Windows 7 PC where all my media is without any issues.

The problem I found is that there are countless guides but they tend to differ in small parts which can lead to confusion for a linux noob like myself. However after several years running XBMC on a couple of old xbox's I am now moving on to clearer things Smile

Thanks again for all the pointers
Acer Revo 3610 : 2GB RAM : 320GB HDD : Ubuntu 10.4.1 : XBMC dharma final : Sony Bavia 40" over HDMI
Is there a way to upgrade XBMC Live + Jaunty to Karmic?
coendeurloo Wrote:Is there a way to upgrade XBMC Live + Jaunty to Karmic?

Replace the jaunty references with karmic in /etc/apt/sources.list and the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d. Then "apt-get dist-upgrade" and "apt-get upgrade", then reboot.

Warning, if it doesn't go cleanly, you'll have to reinstall.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jaunty or Karmic?0