[LIVE] How do I use HFS+ partitions on a XBMC Live installation?
Question 
Hi all

I just installed XBMC on a 500GB HDD.

I made a partition of 2GB for XBMC and the 2nd partition for
videos (HFS+)

When I start XBMC not mount the HFS partition?
How can I raise?

Thank you all
What OS are you running XBMC on?
Mac, Linux, Windows.

If it's the first, the OS handles the mounting.
If it's the second or 3rd, why are you using HFS+.
For the record Linux only works with non-Journaled HFS+ systems.

You need to do this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install hfsplus
Now you can mount the volume under Linux.
TheHazel3yes Wrote:You need to do this:
Code:
Now you can mount the volume under Linux.

Thank you for your replies friends.

I use XBMC Live Dharma that is installed on my 500GB HDD

Partition 1: XBMC Dharma
HFS+ partiton 2: My videos.

The problem is that I can not see my partition in HFS add on
source?

Thank you

ps: je vais essayer la méthode
Code:
Well XBMC won't mount the volume for you (automatically) - this task has to be done by you.

First you have to create a directory where to the volume should be mounted
Code:
mkdir /media/NAMEOFVOLUME
Now you've got to find out which id your volume has (eg. sda1, sda2, sdb1, ...) - you can search under /dev. It'll probably be sda3 or something like that, because you have installed Ubuntu onto the same physical drive - and that normally gets sdax.

To mount the volume temporarily:
Code:
mount sdax /media/NAMEOFVOLUME

If you wish to mount it on startup you have to edit /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/sdax   /media/NAMEOFVOLUME   hfsplus    defaults   0   0
TheHazel3yes Wrote:Well XBMC won't mount the volume for you (automatically) - this task has to be done by you.

First you have to create a directory where to the volume should be mounted
Code:
mkdir /media/NAMEOFVOLUME
Now you've got to find out which id your volume has (eg. sda1, sda2, sdb1, ...) - you can search under /dev. It'll probably be sda3 or something like that, because you have installed Ubuntu onto the same physical drive - and that normally gets sdax.

To mount the volume temporarily:
Code:
mount sdax /media/NAMEOFVOLUME

If you wish to mount it on startup you have to edit /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/sdax   /media/NAMEOFVOLUME   hfsplus    defaults   0   0

thank you for your accuracy but how as called my HDD?

sda1 sda2 gold, is that there yardstick order?

Sorry I'm no linux user.

Thank you

ok ( fdisk -l )

My HDD sda5
sudo mkdir /media/HDDVIDEO

sudo mount sda5 /media/HDDVIDEO - error

sudo /dev/sdax /media/HDDVIDEO hfsplus defaults 0 0 - command no good

im noob
I can't tell you how your volume/hdd is called on your system - that's something you have to figure out yourself.
But sda1, sda2, sda3 and so on are a good guess, since sda represents the first hdd of your system (most times following the boot order of your BIOS) and that normally is your root volume (the volume where Dharma is installed to).
My guess: sda1 could be your root partition, sda2 could be swap and sda3 could be the hfs partition. You'll have to try that out by mounting the volumes...
pazoo Wrote:sudo /dev/sdax /media/HDDVIDEO hfsplus defaults 0 0

That's no command to put into your shell, this line (with the x changed to the right number) has to be put into your /etc/fstab:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
Since you're having troubles with the usage of Linux in general you really have to be careful when changing fstab!! Do some research on Google, there is plenty of good advice how to add something to fstab.
TheHazel3yes Wrote:I can't tell you how your volume/hdd is called on your system - that's something you have to figure out yourself.
But sda1, sda2, sda3 and so on are a good guess, since sda represents the first hdd of your system (most times following the boot order of your BIOS) and that normally is your root volume (the volume where Dharma is installed to).
My guess: sda1 could be your root partition, sda2 could be swap and sda3 could be the hfs partition. You'll have to try that out by mounting the volumes...

Thanks

when I enter the fdisk-l

sda5 HDD hfs+ ?

I'm going to start from scratch:

1: sudo apt-get update
2: sudo apt-get install hfsplus
3: sudo mkdir / media / NAMEOFVOLUME
4: sudo mount sda5 / media / NAMEOFVOLUME
5: sudo / dev / sdax / media / NAMEOFVOLUME hfsplus defaults 0 0

Is that all the commendams are correct for you?
No, please read my previous post.
1) If you are using Linux, why are you using HFS+?
2) HFS+ should automount. It's just another file system. If the OS knows what to do with it, HAL should take care of it.
I'm using HFS+ only for my external USB HDD to be able to read the files on my Mac.

However your second statement isn't true in all cases. I have a media partition on the internal HDD too that's formated in ext2 and it won't get automounted by XBMC. XBMC will automount my external HDD (with HFS+) and thumb drives with FAT, but the easiest to read ext2 on the same physical drive as the system won't be recognized until I add it to fstab. I don't think HFS+ would do any better in this case.
Some useful information for anyone trying to use HFS+ in Linux:

I had a problem where my hfs+ drive was being mounted as read-only even though journaling was turned off and it was setup to mount as read/write. I figured out that the cause was the disk had been uncleanly unmounted and needed to be checked for errors before it could be mounted as writable again. If the disk is uncleanly unmounted it will mount as read-only.

To check the disk for errors:
$df -h // To find the device name for your drive
$fsck.hfsplus -r /dev/sdc1 // Replace sdc1 with your device and partition number

Unmount the disk and remount it to try to make it writable.
You can do $fsck.hfsplus -u to find more options for repairing the disk.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] How do I use HFS+ partitions on a XBMC Live installation?0