Update script/method for Ubuntu installs?
Question 
Sure. I can SSH into my minimal install and sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y but I'm wondering if there's some big-brained chap out there that can think of a better idea. One that integrates itself with XBMC well?

I'm sure some script can be scraped together that gives on a little output and asks for your sudo password.

Any takers?
Patch welcome.
pumkinut Wrote:Patch welcome.

Great reply there. Really helpful. No need for the "RTFM"-type (in that its really a BS, unhelpful, snot-nosed) response. (trust me I know. ive been developing for a while)

So if anyone has any real ideas, awesome.
Second Link

You need to explore and play with XBMC more.
pumkinut Wrote:You need to explore and play with XBMC more.

I know exactly what I'm doing. Be a child if you like. Just do it somewhere else.

So for Ubuntu folks who are interested in the topic and not juvenile drama, what should this thing look like and feature? Should it just be a simple executable with no interaction? Thoughts?
Did you even look at my link? The Aptitude script does exactly what you are asking for.

And really, how would you do a "simple executable with now interaction" when you need to have root permissions to perform apt-get? For a "developer" such as yourself, you seem to have done very little work sniffing out a pretty obvious answer to your own question.
pumkinut Wrote:Did you even look at my link? The Aptitude script does exactly what you are asking for.

And really, how would you do a "simple executable with now interaction" when you need to have root permissions to perform apt-get? For a "developer" such as yourself, you seem to have done very little work sniffing out a pretty obvious answer to your own question.

1. Ive seen it and does not work the way I am looking for. (maybe I shoulda said I searched to ward off typical "I'm posting something so I'm helpful" comments like yours) Hence the thread.

2. Your 1st post was typical non-helpful BS often posed by trolls.

3. 2nd post was along the same sarcastic lines as the 1st.

I've developed and done support over many years. Your posts only further the stereotype that linux is an elitist community.

REAL help is not what you've done. Don't fool yourself.

So if you wanna actually be useful, take your brand of help elsewhere. As this thread is now pretty much shot. Kudos.
Quote:Ive seen it and does not work the way I am looking for.
FFS, yes it does according to your first post.
Quote:I'm sure some script can be scraped together that gives on a little output and asks for your sudo password.
Until you moved the goalposts with this little gem:
Quote:Should it just be a simple executable with no interaction?
You need interaction for apt-get, unless you either run as root, or change the script to automatically feed sudo your root password.

My first two posts were snarky, yes. That is because the functionality you asked for in your original post is there for you to use it. You didn't search or look, you wanted to be spoon fed. And if you think "patch welcome" posts are trollish, you obviously haven't seen some of the actual devs post when they encounter lame questions that have been answered before many times, or posts where people want everything done for them.

If SSH'ing into your box, or using a keyboard to get to a terminal prompt is too much of a hassle for you, and the Aptitude script somehow doesn't do what you want it to, although I'm not sure how it could be simpler, then develop your own script. The python needed isn't that difficult. If a tool is there for you to use, but you don't like it, why should someone else try and figure out your idiosyncrasies in order to custom make a script? Seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick with that question, I'm actually curious.
pumkinut Wrote:Until you moved the goalposts with this little gem:
AddictedToMetal Wrote:Should it just be a simple executable with no interaction?
Because a chat can't evolve? It's set in stone the second it was sent? Please.
pumkinut Wrote:My first two posts were snarky, yes.

No matter the reasoning, it's not the way to be helpful. Period. If I were standing in front of you, you woulda answered the question completely different. That's the way to interact with one another as people. (and yes. years of seeing folks I work with who take your angle on support has made me a bit sensitive)
pumkinut Wrote:If a tool is there for you to use, but you don't like it, why should someone else try and figure out your idiosyncrasies in order to custom make a script? Seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick with that question, I'm actually curious.
This is a "discussion forum" is it not? I hoped to generate some conversation before it descended into lunacy and had us waste our lives caring about this rubbish.

So, a bit of talk. Maybe some questions and new ideas. But no. Wasn't meant to be I guess.

So now I'll bid this thread adieu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update script/method for Ubuntu installs?0