Time to get serious
Hi All,

I have been running XMBC for around a year now on a laptop which connects to a 32inch TV via a VGA lead. This setup is pretty poor for todays standards so I want to get some new hardware.

I would like to know your suggestions on the best "bang for buck" hardware to run XMBC on. I would like something small like the Acer Revo which is quiet and has less power consumpion, I would also like to connect this hardware to my tv via HDMI.

I will be streaming the video over wired ethernet from a NAS box so storage space on the player is not an issue.

All suggestions welcome

Thanks

Ben
Single core Acer Revo, cheapest ready built option there is out there that supports 1080p content.
Asrock ION 330 if you want bang for buck Smile It's small too.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have been looking at the Acer Aspire Revo R3610 and notice that it comes with either Windows 7 or Linux pre installed.

Is there any preference regarding XMBC? i.e are there stable GPU drivers for the linux platform. Are there any other issues which I should know about?

Thanks for your help.
Under linux you will be able to use vdpau which uses the gpu giving you support for 1080p video playback, this is very mature and works perfectly.

Under windows, this feature is still new and somewhat experimental now.

If its going to be a dedicated htpc, then i would recommend linux. Use the live installer cd and you can be up and running in about 20mins.
I'll go with linux and you'll save some bucks...

I'm using that same box with XBMC Live and it runs Great!

Good buying!

Jur.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time to get serious0