[linux] installing XBMC on a zotac ion - antec fusion - opensuse combi
Hi,

I've been setting up my HTPC the last month, and since I've encountered a lot of issues on the way, I thought I just sum up my experiences so that other people might have less trouble.
My system is based on a Zotac IonITX in an Antec Fusion Remote case, very neat though a bit larger than it needs to be (the hardware set up was also a bit tricky; if anybody's interested, I can write more about that). The computer is supposed to play music, surf the net, and work as a backup server in my local network.
I decided to do all this in linux, for security and license issues but also just for the heck of it Wink. As I'm a total noob in linux, I've tried a couple of distributions and came to stick with openSuse, mainly because it's working with pre-compiled packages which help you avoiding the "make"-ing of your software which never worked for me.
So here's the setting up:

1. OpenSuse (11.2 64 bit):
a. Install it. The set up menu is pretty straight forward. I've created three partitions (2 Gigs /swap, 6 Gigs /home, and 22 Gigs /) for the system, the rest (~ 600 GB) is used by a NTFS formated data partition. I've chosen the KDE desktop.
b. Install the nvidia drivers using YaST. The repository (YaST -> Software -> Software Repositories -> Add) can be found at http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.2/.
c. Install Skype if you feel like it. For that, download the skype.rpm from http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/. Install libqt4-32, libqtB-x11-32, and xorg-x11-libXv-32bit via YaST to resolve the dependencies, then open skype.rpm.
d. Install xbmc if you haven't already Big Grin. YaST even offers the beta, I've used the 9.11-1.pm.4.1 version and the Confluence skin.
e. The NTFS partition should be mounted on start-up. For that, edit /etc/fstab following this guide http://forums.opensuse.org/new-user-how-...ually.html.
2. Set up the LCD display and the remote:
a. add http://software.opensuse.org/download/LC...SUSE_11.2/ as a repository.
b. install LCDproc.
c. in /etc/LCDd.conf, set DRIVER=imonlcd
d. install lirc 0.8.6. Don't even consider earlier versions Eek. This will work out of the box, in contrary to all the older ones. If you can't find it in YaST, you can get pre-compiled versions from the opensuse package-builder https://build.opensuse.org/. From there, you can also get liblirc 0.8.6 which you'll need for lirc.
e. copy antec-veris-remote.conf (comes with the installation files) to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.
f. You can check your remote by typing irw or mode2 (see respective help pages) in the terminal.
g. if you want to control other programs with the remote, you can install IRKick (KDE desktop). You can make it start automatically by adding it in System settings -> Tab "advanced" -> Auto Start.
3. Set up XBMC:
a. First, there was no sound, after some fiddling and similar experiences with Skype, I've set up a custom audio output device called "hw:0,0". (System -> System -> audio output)
b. I've chosen advanced shaders for the video playback render
c. activate LCD/VDF (system -> system -> video output).
d. for the LCD, edit /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/LCD.xml (create the file if it doesn't exists, more info on http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=LCD.xml ) or/and home/.xbmc/userdata/LCD.xml. The Antec Veris display has only two lines, so anything that goes beyond two lines will probably make everything unreadable. Also consider this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40998
e. create or edit /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml (sic! remember, linux is case sensitive...) or home/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml: insert
Code:
<advancedsettings>
[...]
  <lcd>
    <row>2</row>
    <columns>16</columns>
    <scrolldelay>4</scrolldelay>          <!-- Delay of the scroller widget. Defaults to 1. -->
  </lcd>
[...]
</advancedsettings>
to make the scrolling text readable (more info on http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml).
f. personalize /usr/share/xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml. Also see http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Lirc_and_Lircmap.xml.
4. Set up the Samba server (I have two Windows computers which use my HTPC as file server):
a. install Samba via YaST
b. Add the file server folder in Samba (YaST -> Network services -> Samba Server).
c. Add firewall exceptions for the samba server, the NetBIOS server, and the Samba client (YaST -> security and users -> Firewall).
d. Allow Samba browsing under YaST -> Firewall -> Browsing
e. change the runlevel of nmb to 3 and 5. This option can be found under YaST -> services in the "expert mode"
f. to /etc/samba/smb.conf, under [global], add
Code:
[...]
security=user
passdb backend=tdbsam
[...]
g. set a password for access to the shared folder by entering in a terminal window
Code:
smbpasswd -a [i]user[/i]
5. General tips:
If a system service doesn't start again after booting, YaST -> services is a good place to look for their auto start mode.
For Windows users who want to edit root-owned files, using kwrite is a nice editor. You can start it with root privileges by typing
Code:
kdesu kwrite [i]filename with path[/i]
in the terminal.
This is as far as I remember and I hope it'll help. I can't, of course, guarantee that this will work on your specific system. If you encounter any problems with this guide, however, let me know.
I still want to set up a couple of things, so this is likely to expand.

Have fun.
sirthid
Hello again. Unfortunately your last post (and mine) where lost in the server crash recently. But, now I have ordered the parts and they should arrive during the week (hopefully).

Perhaps you could quickly go through the steps in setting up the hardware again? I noticed someone on the soundgraph forum having the same problem. I'm afraid I can't remember what you said in your post. I just bookmarked it but never saved it. Is that about it - or is there some more details I should know about? It would be awesome if you could write a short summary of this (again).

Cheers
Hi Tigge,

I'll try, I don't have my computer around me right now, so I might edit this later on.
Okay, first was cabeling: The case is very spacious so that the 4 pin molex power cable that comes with the main board is too short, which means you are going to need some adapters. It also only allows you to connect three components. With me, that was the optical drive, the hard disc and the front panel of the case (volume knob I think).
Second, cooling and fan noise: Since the case is so spacious you will have little problems with the components heating each other up. I've used a WD caviar green that at worst gets hand warm, so I don't have any active cooling for my drives. The fan that comes with the main board is unbearable and, contrary to what Zotac promises, its speed is not regulated (at least not for my board, where the option in the BIOS wasn't even available). You can try running the board without, it might work. I've used an 8 cm fan with an 6 to 8 cm adapter like this and I'm running it with 7 V. There's two fans in the case which are alright, but still a bit noisy for me. I've replaced one of them with a cover (comes with the case) and the other one with a 12 cm be quiet fan. I'm running this one at 5 V. You can do this by switching cables in the molex connector of the fan. The result is a core temperature of 40°C with a case that you can just about hear when you press your ear against it. Big Grin
Last but not least: The LCD. It needs a standard ATX plug to get 5 V from, and you want 5 V also when the computer is switched off because otherwise you won't be able to start it with your remote. The Zotac IonITX with the external powersupply does not have the ATX connector. In principle, one could use the power from the 4 pin molex but that goes off when the computer does. The USB power, however, stays on. I've used an external USB cable and looped it out of the case to the external USB connectors but it'd be neater to use an internal USB connector (there are two, only one of which you need for the front panel). So, check the USB cable layout. I've cut the three cables of the ATX adapter of the case and connected the black one to the USB ground and the red and violet cable to the 5 V (I'll double check that but there's a cable layout somewhere oh the CD that comes with the board). That works for me. The display background light is always on but I'm not sure wether this isn't actually the way it's supposed to be.
Ok. If you try, of course, at your own risk. But don't be afraid, I've messed a bit when trying this out and it still works. Big Grin Good luck,

have fun,
sirthid
Okay, the hardware installation is now almost done. There is just a few more external cables I need to get. It all went very smooth. I mostly just followed what you did -- even though I did some variation. I used a Zaltec Fan Mate 2 for the case fan (Schyte 120mm fan) even if I now don't think that was necessary. I also replaced the stock thermal compound with Artic Cooling MX-3.

As for the software part I went with Ubuntu 10.04 beta 2. I guess there are both some ups and some downs associated with this choice. I still haven't solved the shutting down issue (which seems to be due to some changes in the policy kit/naming). On the up side all the required packages where in the repositories except XBMC itself which I got from the xbmc-team-svn ppa.

I must say I'm impressed with the VDPAU acceleration and I have no problem playing 1080p material. I'd be happy to write more about the software and the hardware installation if anybody is interested in the details.

Cheers and thanks
Hey, nice it worked out for you. I'd actually be interested in your installation details - would you mind to outline them here?

cheers and enjoy your new comp - I think it's pretty neat Big Grin
sirthid

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[linux] installing XBMC on a zotac ion - antec fusion - opensuse combi1