• 165(current)
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs
altoiddealer Wrote:I'm having a very annoying problem. Almost every time that I exit a game, XBMC crashes and stays on the screen as a black window. I then have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to kill it.
Sorry, I don't have a solution for this right now. But I am working on a new release that supports different launch commands. Not sure if this also improves your situation. I hope it will be ready as a test version in some days. (Edit: Ok, it was a bit faster than I thought)
New test version available: 1.0.5

List of changes:

Import Games:
  • "First 10 games could not be imported." -> option to continue and ignore error (patch submitted by pantherts)
Launch Games:
  • add before and after launch command (patch submitted by carabalb)
  • select disk in multi disk scenario (patch submitted by pantherts)
  • new option to use subprocess.Popen to launch emulators
  • using %PROGRAMFILES% variable in applaunch.bat
Thanks a lot to carabalb and pantherts for submitting their patches!

Multi disc selector

If you have multiple discs for one game, RCB will now ask which disc you want to launch. This feature needs a correct setting of the Disk indicator in Edit Rom Collection dialog. As mentioned in the wiki you can use regular expressions to match your naming convention of multi disc games.

New launching options

In Edit Rom Collection dialog / Launch Games tab there are three new options available:
1. Use Popen to launch emulators: This is a more technical change, but everybody who has issues with launching games and coming back to XBMC may test this new option out and see if this fixes the issues. And please report here how it works! Also this new option will not show a cmd window before launching the game. This may be a nice improvement for Windows users.
2+3. Pre- and Post-launch commands: This may be useful if you need to execute commands around launching the emulator. You don't need to edit your script files anymore to achieve this.

Please report how these new features are working for you. There are only some small changes left on my plate before I want to add the new version to the repo. So I want to make sure these changes are working stable for everybody.

Previous version: 1.0.4
I installed 1.0.5, and so far Popen Launch appears to have fixed it!

I'm also very glad that you added Multi-Disc support, keep up the good work!

Thanks!

**Edit** Actually I think I spoke too soon. The first time I did it while XBMC was in Windowed mode. But the next time I ran XBMC in Fullscreen mode and launched a game, XBMC stayed fullscreen while the emulator opened behind it.
Hey malte, just updated to 1.0.5. popen didn't work for me either.
On the bright side, I was able to get a workaround for web/remote servers with a lot of help from other members.
This is my thread from the linux section Linux fix for web/server failure.
Turns out the child process was inheriting the web/remote server from xbmc. Which explains why it seemed when I manually killed xbmc after running applaunch.sh and the web/remote servers failed, that it was an opening of xbmc issue. When really no matter what way it's opened in applaunch.sh it's still going to have the web/remote server issue.

The easiest fix came from members enorlin and artrafael with the command "at". Which I think could be implemented into RCB very easily with only one small extra script necessary. How this would work on windows I don't know though. But on xbmcbuntu it works like a charm.

At least the mystery can be put to rest on why it was happening.

I'm loving the new test version btw!

Thanks Malte,
-David

EDIT:
Popen works, got ahead of myself and didn't chmod applaunch.sh oops!
Web/remote servers still fail on startup though.
And there seems to be a bug where Backspace will launch the game

EDIT:
As far as the bug, once you hit enter on a game, no matter if you hit backspace or escape your trapped in the launch game and select disk screens with no way to go back, only to launch the game.
a feature request: some properties for home window so we can add a random/latest ROMs widget to our home screen Smile
thx for the work you put in
phil65
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
altoiddealer Wrote:**Edit** Actually I think I spoke too soon. The first time I did it while XBMC was in Windowed mode. But the next time I ran XBMC in Fullscreen mode and launched a game, XBMC stayed fullscreen while the emulator opened behind it.
Is this reproducable every time on your system? I tested it several times and it always worked.

Can you show me a log after you had this issue?

xaviorffviii Wrote:On the bright side, I was able to get a workaround for web/remote servers with a lot of help from other members.
The easiest fix came from members enorlin and artrafael with the command "at". Which I think could be implemented into RCB very easily with only one small extra script necessary. How this would work on windows I don't know though. But on xbmcbuntu it works like a charm.
Sounds good. Maybe you could try just to replace the last line in applaunch.sh with this:
Code:
at -f $XBMC_BIN & now
You should try it with & and without &. Not sure if it works in this scenario. If this works you will not need an additional script.

BTW: my plan is to create a "user scripts" folder in RCBs addon_data folder. This folder will remain unchanged in case of an RCB update. So every user can more easily modify the solo mode and other scripts.

xaviorffviii Wrote:As far as the bug, once you hit enter on a game, no matter if you hit backspace or escape your trapped in the launch game and select disk screens with no way to go back, only to launch the game.
Thanks for the hint. I will check it.

phil65 Wrote:a feature request: some properties for home window so we can add a random/latest ROMs widget to our home screen
Nice idea. I would be happy to implement it. May I PM you to ask for details? I also have some changes in the latest version that will require slight changes to the skin.
(2012-07-02, 08:46)malte Wrote:
altoiddealer Wrote:**Edit** Actually I think I spoke too soon. The first time I did it while XBMC was in Windowed mode. But the next time I ran XBMC in Fullscreen mode and launched a game, XBMC stayed fullscreen while the emulator opened behind it.
Is this reproducable every time on your system? I tested it several times and it always worked.

Can you show me a log after you had this issue?

xaviorffviii Wrote:On the bright side, I was able to get a workaround for web/remote servers with a lot of help from other members.
Sounds good. Maybe you could try just to replace the last line in applaunch.sh with this:
Code:
at -f $XBMC_BIN & now
You should try it with & and without &. Not sure if it works in this scenario. If this works you will not need an additional script.

BTW: my plan is to create a "user scripts" folder in RCBs addon_data folder. This folder will remain unchanged in case of an RCB update. So every user can more easily modify the solo mode and other scripts.

xaviorffviii Wrote:As far as the bug, once you hit enter on a game, no matter if you hit backspace or escape your trapped in the launch game and select disk screens with no way to go back, only to launch the game.
Thanks for the hint. I will check it.

phil65 Wrote:a feature request: some properties for home window so we can add a random/latest ROMs widget to our home screen
Nice idea. I would be happy to implement it. May I PM you to ask for details? I also have some changes in the latest version that will require slight changes to the skin.

of course. just ask Smile (btw i´m german, too, so you can switch languages if you want Wink )
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Hey malte no dice on "at -f xbmc now"
It kept coming back with no such file or directory. "&" came back with my favorite error garbled time.
Even when I changed it to /usr/bin/xbmc it didnt launch xbmc, only gave me "job 29 with the date and time"
(2012-07-03, 03:33)xaviorffviii Wrote: Hey malte no dice on "at -f xbmc now"
It kept coming back with no such file or directory. "&" came back with my favorite error garbled time.
Even when I changed it to /usr/bin/xbmc it didnt launch xbmc, only gave me "job 29 with the date and time"
Ok, so it seems to require 2 separate scripts to work properly. I will see if I can do anything on it when I start working on separating the script folders (release after next I guess).
Right now I have the problem, that RCB doesn't give me the disc selector at all for some games. It seems it doesn't work for games that have no info scraped (in my case Romhacks especially). The other problem is, that every disc shows up as _disk in the selector.
(2012-07-04, 02:54)Darkcloud Wrote: Right now I have the problem, that RCB doesn't give me the disc selector at all for some games. It seems it doesn't work for games that have no info scraped (in my case Romhacks especially).
You are right. Just tested it here and I could reproduce it. There is a bug with importing multi disc games that could not be scraped. Good catch.

(2012-07-04, 02:54)Darkcloud Wrote: The other problem is, that every disc shows up as _disk in the selector.
Again, good find. I can reproduce it, too. Will see how to fix it. I just tested with disc naming like "MyGame (Disc1).iso" etc.
So Im still having trouble with RCB on Windows ( but for all I know, XBMC could be the culprit). 90% of the time that I exit games after using RCB with the default settings, XBMC is left as a black unresponsive window that requires Taskamager to kill.

But sometimes, everything just works perfectly fine over and over again, with unchangibg results until then next time I launch XBMC
http://pastebin.com/1U3EWNBL

I set Nes to Popen, and like I reported earlier, Mednafen opened behind XBMC (i didnt go to the log, and now I cant seem to reproduce this again atm) i will post a log when this happens again

I tried again, but this time mednafen only launched as a window in the upper left corner, and xbmc was minimized after killing the emu (not ideal for my setup)
http://pastebin.com/0dDvSqZN

And again... same results as above, but this time when I Restored XBMC the RCB screen was unresponsive, but I could hear menu sounds
http://pastebin.com/LLvbE2Ws

I thought maybe it had to do with mednafen, so I tried SNES with Plaunch. That worked, but when I exited Zsnes, XBMC was minimized
http://pastebin.com/bqN82czP

i decided to try launching in Solo mode and Popen, but when I exit the emu, an errors pops up "CApplication::Create() Failed"
http://pastebin.com/VHSQqmVw

same thing happens with just Solo mode
http://pastebin.com/cMTEwYgU

Maybe solo mode will get around my issue with reloading XBMC if I can fix that error from popping
I'm testing the latest version, 1.0.5 and I noticed that "Missing Info Filter" its only displayed in Confluence skin.

After rescraping a single game (it happens most of the times, not all) the "Rom File Mask" in the Rom collection definitions its changed to the name of the game. Following rescraping don't give any results until edit the values to the right ones.

NFO files don't update when rescraping games.

Some GIF images crashes XBMC (Windows) when navigating in RCB menu (maybe a XBMC problem)

Can you check if its real bugs or only my problems ? I already downgraded, upgraded, uninstalled, installed, etc always with the same results but I'm backing up my config.xml and MyGames.db so not sure anymore Smile
altoiddealer Wrote:So Im still having trouble with RCB on Windows ( but for all I know, XBMC could be the culprit). 90% of the time that I exit games after using RCB with the default settings, XBMC is left as a black unresponsive window that requires Taskamager to kill.
Thanks for all the logs. Unfortunately, I can't see any relevant errors inside. I will try again to reproduce this issue on my 64bit machine.

altoiddealer Wrote:i decided to try launching in Solo mode and Popen, but when I exit the emu, an errors pops up "CApplication::Create() Failed"
This may be fixed with this one. Unfortunately it does not work for all of us. If it still does not you could try with these scripts instead.

altoiddealer Wrote:Maybe solo mode will get around my issue with reloading XBMC if I can fix that error from popping
Yes, solo mode should fix these issues.

Maleficium Wrote:I'm testing the latest version, 1.0.5 and I noticed that "Missing Info Filter" its only displayed in Confluence skin.
Yes, atm thats it. Other skinners are already informed (Aeon MQ and Nox) but they should wait for release until new RCB version is in repo. Otherwise it will be too confusing if the skin provides a feature that the script does not have.

Maleficium Wrote:After rescraping a single game (it happens most of the times, not all) the "Rom File Mask" in the Rom collection definitions its changed to the name of the game. Following rescraping don't give any results until edit the values to the right ones.
Uh, this should not happen. But due to my lazy implementation of this feature it is not impossible. I will fix this with next release. Thanks for reporting.

Maleficium Wrote:NFO files don't update when rescraping games.
Yes, that is the way it should be. But I guess I could add an option if a user wants to override nfo files.

Maleficium Wrote:Some GIF images crashes XBMC (Windows) when navigating in RCB menu (maybe a XBMC problem)
Never heard of that. But it really sounds like it was more an XBMC issue. Can you please send me one of these files?
Unfortunately at this point I already converted the GIFs that crashed my XBMC (windows) and I don't have any idea of the name of the games. Next time it happens I'll report.

Still missing the possibility to define "Rom File Mask" as *.tzx.zip or *.tap.zip Smile

Thanks by your hard work.
  • 165(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs20