How to Load Ubuntu after Exiting from XBMC
Sorry to ask a completely n00b question. I'm a long time windows user and I have no idea how to use linux commands.

I have an Acer Revo, to which I installed XBMC via the xbmcfreaks auto-installer. So XBMC loads automatically when I start the computer. I was wondering if there was a way to exit XBMC and get to Ubuntu, so I can surf the web, run torrents, etc.

When I exit XBMC, I get a command prompt, and I don't know how to load Ubuntu from there...

I have a feeling this is a ridiculous question but I can't find the answer after searching for a good while.
No, it is not a bad question.
I dont know xbmcfreaks auto-installer and I dont know if it is supported here or not.

If we assume it works lile xbmc live you can do this:

if you type:
startx
It will start fluxbox which is a simple window manager. Righ click on background give the menus.

Normally I would advice you to install gnome-core which would replace fluxbox with the gnome desktop.
BUT, for the moment this will break usb auto mount and you dont want do that. I have not been able to fix that yet. I am hoping for some help from the devs.

Instead you can add some stuff to fluxbox but if you add to much gnome stuff it will break...
sudo apt-get install thunar nedit
will at least give you a file explorer and notepad without breaking anything.
This is how I am running for the moment (plus some other basic stuff).
To make it a little more workable we also need a better manu system e.g. fbpanel.
I would like the full ubuntu, but default to load xbmc on startup. is there a way to do this, or is the xmbcfreaks installer only limited to a minimal ubuntu base system?
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
Quote:So if I make any changes to xbmc files or add skins etc... would it update both users??

Or if you dont want all the stuff.
sudo apt-get install gnome-core gdm

To get the xbmc session in gdm you probably also need
sudo apt-get install xbmc-standalone

Installing gdm will uninstall xbmc-live and potentially you will have to manually re-do the permission stuff to get shutdown/suspend to work. However, I am not sure it does clean ut up. You will have to test it,
If you want to go lighter than gnome you can go with xfce

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
i had to ask the same question. I followed the instructions here, there is a torrent of an acer revo that has everything setup on it to run smooth full 1080. you just need to restore the image on yours and your set. They told me to type "sudo service gdm start" to get to the ubuntu gui when using xbmc from that image.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Load Ubuntu after Exiting from XBMC0