G4 Mac Mini with Broadcom Crystal HD?
Can anyone please confirm that there is no reasonable way to use the Broadcom Crystal HD with a G4 (PowerPC) Mac Mini? I have seen in passing that it will not work, but no solid confirmation.

Thanks for your help.
lehite Wrote:Can anyone please confirm that there is no reasonable way to use the Broadcom Crystal HD with a G4 (PowerPC) Mac Mini? I have seen in passing that it will not work, but no solid confirmation.

Thanks for your help.

Nope, will not work, there no mini pci-e slot in the PPC MacMinis.
Bummer. Thanks Davilla!
As My Mini PPC has no Mezzanine board I do not know but doesn't the mac mini G4 use the same Wifi card as the Apple TV. If so that is in fact a Mini PCI-e slot.

I really think the OSX PPC build of Dharma is HIGHLY unstable considering a mac mini offers a faster CPU clock and in My case more memory (1GB) than an apple TV, WHY THEN DOES THE PPC version crash all the time and even refuses to play smoothly SD AVIs with h.264 that the Apple Tv (without crystal HD) handles just fine?
G4's tended to use mini pci slots, not mini pcie (note the 'e' on the end). pci != pcie. Not even close.

The pentium-m at 1GHz just plan smokes a higher clock PPC G4. Sad but true. My 1.6GHz coreduo MacMini will outrun my PPC dual processor G5 tower that handles PPC buildslave.

Sorry but I'm just not interested in debugging Dharma. Not for PPC nor Intel. I've already asked for xbmc.log/crash reporter logs for nightlies on PPC, if there are issues. Eden is rolling and if you want this resolved, then best hop to it.

Also note that I don't have any respect for AVI as a video container. It's a crappy format and there are also many crappy AVI encoders out there. If I had my way, I'd just drop AVIs entirely, HandBrake has done that and the sooner more apps drop it, then maybe it will just die off.
Cough, cough....
from

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33327
"- one for SVN daily build that should be considered as unstable and bleeding edge.
- a last one that shouldn't be used by users and only developers"

So if the site says that and the current "stable" OSX PPC build WILL NOT INSTALL ON A CLEAN SYSTEM, then we must move on to the OSX PPC nightly build that all video stutters on? what sense is there in that?

Obviously there are some logic errors in the rationale around here
Yes and that's why I'm closing this thread.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
G4 Mac Mini with Broadcom Crystal HD?0