Audio problem in XBMC
I am running an Acer Aspire Revo 3610 with Ubuntu and XBMC through a Denon receiver into my plasma. For some reason I can't get my audio to work right away when I start playing a movie/tv show. I get a message in the lower right corner about "audio failed to initialize". When I click on the audio setting button in the control bar at the top of the screen in the upper right all I have to do is play around with any one of the settings to get audio to now work. What is weird is I can change something and change it right back and the audio will work just fine. I have tried many different combinations of audio settings in the setup all result in the same issue (expect if I set up the audio to only play stereo). I have completely redone my system from scratch and same issue arises. Any ideas on what to try?
I suppose you could offer more details...

Starting with Ubuntu version and how your audio connections are done. There are many threads about audio problems in ubuntuforums.org that can help you as well. That weird thing you mention has happened to me as well, but with the sub, like u pick another and then the sub starts working and I pick back the one I had and it still is working, and since is like that.. I would think is more related to Ubuntu than with XBMC.

I dont know that Acer model, but I'm guessing you are connecting it to your Denon with an HDMI cable and then back to your plasma the same way. Far as I know, HDMI audio only works with some brands, like ATI and I think recently nvidia, but never heard if intel is too, but I guess somehow is working for you (unless you're connecting your audio separately with a cable with headphone plugs on both sides).

Also, I remember hearing somewhere that when using the optical/digital (SPDIF?) or HDMI... the audio in the system is set as 2 channel and then your receiver interprets the signal and process as DD5.1 or whatever it has, which could relate to what you say in the end.

Anyways, you are missing details and without them... the real gurus can't help you. But do check those audio threads in forums as well, like this one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307019

Hummm, another thing.... in my system.... whenever I log in... I have to reduce the volume to zero and then back up to whatever level I want it to, so that all speakers work as normal. I have 5.1 sound and I have all my speakers volume set at 100% and I just control the master. If I dont reduce the volume to zero... many times happens that the volume in each channel is set to 70% and even the sub is lower than that. After I do the trick... all speakers are set to 100%.

When Im going to use XBMC... after I reduce to zero... I go all the way up to 97%.

Hope this helps...

ELP
Acer something AMD A8-3800K with Trinity Radeon HD6650 (512MB), 10GB DDR3, Ubuntu 15.04, NO KODI HELP Audio: Working great Analog 5.1 (with Infinity Reference Sub and Center).
Ubuntu version: 9.10 karmic koala installed using wubi from windows 7

cabling: i`ve got an hdmi cable going from my acer to my denon and another hdmi going from my denon to my plasma. Not using spdif

The acer 3610 uses an nvidia ion chip for the video and audio )i would presume)

Perhaps it is a ubuntu problem. I tested a video file that should be 5.1 and it only comes across as stereo in standalone videoplayer (smplayer) despite having set up 5.1 in the preferences of the player.

any other thoughts

what other info would be helpful to know
arg07 Wrote:I have completely redone my system from scratch and same issue arises. Any ideas on what to try?

I had same issue when connecting my Acer R1360 revo to Philips LCD via HDMI. I did follow steps here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64680 and toyed with Settings - Audio Output - and it worked. Hope this helps. Try setting Audio input to Analog and output device to Internal Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI).
I'm not sure how this can help you but, on the thread I suggested you somebody suggested this command to do a speaker test (works with 7.1 and note that the rear center is actually the sub).

speaker-test -c8 -t wav

I can't help much with HDMI connections since I have them but I dont use them, but yes, what Matija says, you have to set them as stereo and the receiver should do the decoding work to 5.1.

I noticed you said wubi, and that means you also have Win 7 installed, so, hows the sound working on that side? should be the around the same in terms of channels and what not.

You can also use VLC and go to preferences, in audio section set Force Surround to ON and then test 5.1 files and see if it works there or not. It would be interesting to know if you Denon receiver has limitations on decoding, but Id guess if its working on Win 7 should work as well in Ubuntu.

ELP
Acer something AMD A8-3800K with Trinity Radeon HD6650 (512MB), 10GB DDR3, Ubuntu 15.04, NO KODI HELP Audio: Working great Analog 5.1 (with Infinity Reference Sub and Center).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio problem in XBMC0