[LINUX] 1080p frame rate w/ Broadcom Crystal
I know that the drivers are still under work for linux but I was wondering if it is possible for me to watch 1080p videos off of my netbook in ubuntu Karmic at a decent frame rate.

Specs
Dell Mini 9
GMA 950 (no Nvidia Ion)
Broadcom Crystal BCM70012

History
*I followed a guide on this forum and had no option for the crystalhd.
*Reinstalled using someones tips moving the firmware to the folders needed and had the option for the crystalhd decoding in XBMC.

When I play 720p with the crystal it runs at 24fps with 20%cpu use, compared to 90%+ without it. But, 1080p content runs at 5fps with about 20% cpu usage as well.

Is this just the specifications of this decoder without an ion?

Do I need to wait in order for the software to be up and running on linux?

Or am I missing something in order to run 1080p at a decent frame rate?

(I tried a bunch of the tips people have suggusted like low quality desktop environment, no Nvidia running (I dont have any), Removing Alsa).

Thanks for the help, hopefully everyone else it the same boat can use this too.
bump
can anyone help me?
media decoding with the broadcom is spotty at the moment, its new hardware. ive tried different win builds svn builds with ranging results, same goes for playing video with mpc
You might want to start here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655
josh4trunks Wrote:When I play 720p with the crystal it runs at 24fps with 20%cpu use, compared to 90%+ without it. But, 1080p content runs at 5fps with about 20% cpu usage as well.

Is this just the specifications of this decoder without an ion?

Do I need to wait in order for the software to be up and running on linux?

Or am I missing something in order to run 1080p at a decent frame rate?

(I tried a bunch of the tips people have suggusted like low quality desktop environment, no Nvidia running (I dont have any), Removing Alsa).

Thanks for the help, hopefully everyone else it the same boat can use this too.

1080p playback used to work fine with earlier SVNs but recently something is broken, I get 15-18fps, not 5 but still it used to work correctly at 24fps with Jan/Feb SVNs.

There have been many reports about this, I guess it will get fixed eventually.
Ion man, I'm running r28744 here and have tried to play my first 1080p movie, it's very choppy, i get barely above 10-15 fps and CPU usage is at 100%. Was just wondering how CPU usage was for you during playback?

I haven't checked yet if crystalhd was not picked up by Xbmc yet, the module gets loaded during boot and it shows up in dmesg. Gonna check Xbmc's logs.

720p runs smoothly at ~30% CPU here, but I'm streaming, and I noticed the crappy Realtek NIC eats quite a bit of CPU during network transfers (up to 70% when merely transferring at the full capability of a 100 Mbps LAN), so that's probably the network overhead.

Edit: guess I needed to restart Xbmc after installing and loading the kernel module, I had it compiled for another kernel and obviously that would not work... Guess it doesn't keep probing for it (which completely makes sense). Problem solved Eek.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] 1080p frame rate w/ Broadcom Crystal0