Frequently Asked Questions (aka F.A.Q.)
Question 
Okay, these are the questions we had to answer over and over again in our monster thread:

1. Accessing the library works, but when I go to the remote control screen, nothing happens when I click on the buttons.
    • In 90% of all cases, you forgot to enable EventServer in XBMC. Additionally, you need to allow access from other computers - Yes, that's two options to enable (Under Settings -> Network).
    • If the settings above are correct, then maybe the firewall where XBMC is running on is blocking it. On Windows, disable it to check. On Linux, type
      Code:
      netstat --all | grep 9777
      while XBMC is running to see if EventServer is accepting connections. If you need to explicitly open the port in your firewall, it's 9777 UDP.
    • If you're port-forwarding packets to your XBMC box in order to access it via mobile internet, make sure you forward UDP port 9777 as well (see next question).
  2. Can I use the remote with my 3G mobile internet? I want to show off the features to my buddies in the pub.
    In order to do that, you probably first need to subscribe to a dynamic dns provider in order to map your IP address to a unique domain name that stays the same. Then you need to configure your router so it forwards UDP port 9777 and TCP port 8080 (depending on your settings) to the machine XBMC is running on.
    We strongly advise against this! For starters, it opens a door to everyone outside your LAN to your media collection. The basic HTTP Authentication won't protect you against a more sophisticated attack. Then there's the bandwidth. XBMC Remote downloads all artwork locally for caching purpose. Depending on your provider's data plan, this is really going to be expensive (and slow). So make at least sure you downloaded all covers via WiFi before you go outside.
  3. Everything's great, but can you please add a feature so I can change the volume?
    Use the hardware volume button of your phone while running XBMC Remote.
  4. Suddenly, all my library lists are empty! But it worked before!
    That's typically when some other client (or XBMC) changes the response format of HTTP API. In this case, exit the app and restart it. We won't add special support for this problem because HTTP API will be obsolete soon anyway and the new JSON API doesn't have this problem.
  5. All the media lists are empty and have always been. Why?
    XBMC Remote accesses your media library. That means you have to scan your media into XBMC's library.
  6. How can I compile the latest SVN version and put it on my phone?
    If you've never touched an SVN client or Eclipse you probably shouldn't do that. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward.
    • Download and install Eclipse for Java Developers
    • Download the Android SDK and extract it somewhere
    • Install Google's ADT Plugin for Eclipse (also download all the SDKs with the plugin)
    • Check out our source code
    • Open Eclipse and import the project (project files are in SVN)
    • Plug your phone via USB (driver must be installed)
    • Run the project in Eclipse and choose your phone - it automatically installs. You probably need to uninstall the previous version though.
  7. Why isn't this app on Android Market?
    Actually, it is now.
  8. Will it be free once it hits the Market?
    No, we'll charge you for an open source project. Just kidding.
  9. Why isn't there a TV library
    There is one now.
  10. Will this work with Boxee?
    The library won't, the remote probably will. We're going to look into better support soon.
  11. Will this work with Plex?
    If you're seriously using Plex, maybe it's time to check out XBMC for Mac.
  12. Will this work on Phone XXX, OS YYY? It's all Java after all.
    If your phone runs Android, it will run. If it's something else, it won't. The programming language is one thing, the framework tightly coupled with the OS another, so even if your OS supports Java based programs, it unfortunately won't work.
  13. How about my Tattoo or the Arcos? They have different screen sizes than most other phones.
    Generally, they will run. However, there will probably graphical quirks now and then. We'll review and test on all kind of screen sizes before we release it to the market. Until then, please bear with us. If you own a Nexus One or a Droid with higher resolutions, we already supply hires graphics.
  14. Is there an IRC channel for help?
    Yes, /join #xbmc-android on Freenode.
  15. Where can I get more info?
    • For installation instructions with screenshots, check out the wiki page
    • For general screenshots, check out the screenshot gallery.
    • In case you haven't noticed yet, there is a Google Code page with more information
    • For submitting bugs or feature suggestions, use the issue tracker. Or even better, you can fork our code at GitHub and request a pull, or simply add a feature request there.
  16. How do I produce a log in case I got a crash?
    • If you don't have a computer, download the SendLog app from Android market. It allows you to send your system log to an email address. Email it to yourself and show us where the error happened.
    • With a computer, it's easier and faster. Plug your device, download and unzip the Android SDK and run ddms.bat in the tools folder. There you have it under LogCat.
    The logfile is kept on a phone for a while, so you don't need to reproduce a crash in order to get the log.
  17. Using the remote control works, but library browsing doesn't.
    Obviously you'll need to enable the HTTP server under network settings. If that doesn't work, make sure no other program (torrent clients & co) sit on the port you specified. If you don't know how to check that, simply change the port in XBMC and in the remote's host settings and retry. Also try to remove login/password temporarily to see if that's the issue. If you're getting permanent network errors, open up the browser on your Android device and enter http://192.168.0.1:8080/jsonrpc and see if you get a message (adopt IP and port to the settings of your XBMC instance). If that doesn't work, then it's a generic network (or XBMC configuration) problem and the remote simply can't reach XBMC.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
How can I select files in file manager/que?

Title select all doesn't work when I only want to transfer a handful of files but not a whole directory.
I don't have a computer right now, and xbmc on the are tv connected to my evo with the android remote are all I have. I've tried about erring I can think of already.

Great tip on the device volume buttons though. Made me feel really stupid though.
im not sure you can transfer more than one dir or file at a time. I have yet to see the option to do so.

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:im not sure you can transfer more than one dir or file at a time. I have yet to see the option to do so.

-=Jason=-

Title, select all...they turn greenish yellow (color probably depends on your skin) and the files all begin to transfer. With the xbox (a million years so...) Either the 0 or 5 changed the color of the hilighted file, and this change was persistent; you could select multiple files or directories to transfer, they all had to be in the same folder though...

You could select multiple files or directories in a single directory to transfer...just not multiple files from different directories (the selection was cleared whenever you changed the directory being viewed).

It also worked to que files for play, one at a time, allowing for easier playlist creation. The remote program currently requires two passes to que a song or video, or changing the base select function to que rather than play, which doesn't seem like the best solution...

The color change on"select all"makes it look like the functionality is there, just that the remote doesn't have the right button fir this feature.
If not, can it please be added?
Hi There,

Last night I was struggling to get Allshare to discover either the xbmc or the qnap dlna servers.....

Strange thing with this Samsung android I9000 phone is that it finds the servers the first time....and then never again....but anyway back to your neat program...

It works not only the remote....but also the rest GREAT so GREAT....

THANK YOU......

Very kind regards
Guy Forssman
Hello,

I have Dharma and I am trying to make the XBMC Remote to work.
There is mentioned the event server at the instructions, but I can´t find event server at Dharma settings?

Is there an Dharma for Dummies -type instructions somewhere?
I am familiar with portforwarding etc. but I seem to have problems with configuring the Dharma.

Other question is about phone app settings: Access Point and Mac Address. What should I put in those? The LAN card´s mac of the xbmc pc?

I am using wlan router: Phone WLAN --> ROUTER --> Wired connection to HTPC (portforwarding)

(Win 7, Dharma + HTC Desire, xbmc remote v0.8.4-beta1, rev 703)
If you're using the remote in the local network then why do you need port forwarding?

The MAC address field is for the mac of the htpc, the access point is used if the Wifi_only field is checked. This case the remote turns on the wifi access and tries to connect to the given AP. Most of the time can be left blank.
ok, I removed the port forwards and trying now to connect only via local wlan, but it keeps saying:
(I/O Exception (java.net.SocketException) No route to host

EDIT:
I disabled my htpc lan adapter and put an usb wlan adapter instead.
Same static ip that my old wired land adapter had before and XBMC remote woke up immediatelly!!

So I think the problem was the Buffalo W300N wlan router. It did not handdle this: phone wlan --> wlan router -->wired adapter of htpc.
But it did handdle WAN/Internet (phone 3g) --> wlan router (port forwarding) --> wired lan adapter of htpc.

Anyway, now that htpc has a wlan adapter instead of wired lan adapter, everything works.Nod
Quote:Can I use the remote with my 3G mobile internet? I want to show off the features to my buddies in the pub.
In order to do that, you probably first need to subscribe to a dynamic dns provider in order to map your IP address to a unique domain name that stays the same. Then you need to configure your router so it forwards UDP port 9777 and TCP port 8080 (depending on your settings) to the machine XBMC is running on.
We strongly advise against this! For starters, it opens a door to everyone outside your LAN to your media collection. The basic HTTP Authentication won't protect you against a more sophisticated attack. Then there's the bandwidth. XBMC Remote downloads all artwork locally for caching purpose. Depending on your provider's data plan, this is really going to be expensive (and slow). So make at least sure you downloaded all covers via WiFi before you go outside.

OK but does this mean that your entire library is available offline? Is there a "Sync" button somewhere that I can get all my movie information from my XBMC and then carry it with me? Does that include actors/plot/ect.?

Basically can you explain how the information you see on your phone is presented?

One other question, when I click to install the latest version, why does it need the following:

Your Messages
Your Personal information
Phone Calls

I understand the network storage and system but why would this application require my personal information. I probably will not install it until that is removed or explained.

Thanks,
supersobbie
Hi!)
I've got a problem with android app.
So i downloaded this app, launched XBMC, turned all what instructions says (Allow control of XBMC via HTTP, Allow programs on this/other system/s to control XBMC, same ports on soft and app, and passwords, in app i wrote my IP...)
And ... NOTHING!
It's didn't work.
just says: "Error while connecting to XBMC. Please check configuration. XBMC should be configured to allow control of XBMC via HTTP."
And red cross image)

XBMC installed on laptop, using Wi-Fi.
Android app installed on Samsung Galaxy TAB

What i need to do, to make the app work correctly?

P.S. Sory for grammar. I'm russian.
You have two choices:

1. Download the Official XBMC Android Remote from the Market, because you are using another one.
2. Keep using that, but then ask support from the developer of that application.
Great App ! unbelievable that it works that smoothly!

One quest left, is there a way to power up via remote? i can power on my htpc (which finally boots with xbmc) and i can close xbmc via remote ... but starting ?
Question 
Hello,

This app is great, indeed!

I finally got it work but I have to disable the firewall of my Xubuntu multimedia computer. I think it's not a big security problem because this computer is only for multimedia purpose. But I suppose it's better to configure the firewall instead of disabling it as this computer is on my home network.

I don't see anything about configuring a firewall for "xbmc remote android" in this FAQ or elsewhere.

Could someone help?

François
great app, and works almost flawlessly. My only issue is the timeout warning comes up continuously at any value. any way to turn it off completely?
I need help to app without wifi on phone (i mean via 3G). Following is what I tried:

Router setting
setting in router port forwarding
starting port 9777
ending port 9777
protocol UDP
LAN IP address: IP of apple tv with xbmc

2.Set the remote port and IP information. (Optional)
Starting Port:
Ending Port:
Set Remote IP Address:
(I left these settings blank)

settings on xbmc remote

name of this instance:
host/IP: apple tv IP
HTTP API port: 8080
username:
password:
eventserver port: 9777
wifi only: unselect
access point: I tried all shown on router (Modem IP Address, Default Gateway,
DNS Address #1, DNS Address #2), nothing works

Mac address: mac address of apple tv

Please help me to find out what I am missing.

PS remote works perfect via wifi and I don't have any xbmc server on my computer.
use +/- ⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frequently Asked Questions (aka F.A.Q.)2