Element HTPC anyone?
Big Grin 
I'm a developer and project manager over at ElementMyPC.com and stumbled across this post via Google. we'd love to have some more XBMC fans aid us in building our open source media center os.

We are aware of many of the issues pointed out in this thread and are working hard to fix them and keep our system's development momentum building.

As for LIRC, as everyone knows this can be a pain. We are actually recommending users who have the resources to grab one of the Mini HTPC Keyboard/Touchpad remotes available through Amazon, TigerDirect, etc. Links are on our site. They allow greater functionality that a normal remote ever could and are equivalent in size.

I just wanted to say that we are paying attention to everyone's advice, and going to great strides scanning the net - hearing complaints, hearing praise, and making improvements where needed.

Our first goal with Element 1.0 through Element 1.3 is to perfect the UI and begin rolling out all our in-house software. So far we have gotten amazing feedback on our ten-foot desktop layer for XFCE. And by the way it is not Ubuntu Netbook Remix, once you use the system you'll see it is a completely different interface experience than UNR.

Thanks and hit me back at our website, forums, dev group, or by email. Depending on what's going on I may be too busy to hit up these forums as much as I would like. ;-)

http://www.elementmypc.com

We are open to suggestions and ideas, so please get on board and help us out if your interested in the system.
This looks very promising. Wish I knew more than I do about Linux.
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
KevinElement Wrote:As for LIRC, as everyone knows this can be a pain. We are actually recommending users who have the resources to grab one of the Mini HTPC Keyboard/Touchpad remotes available through Amazon, TigerDirect, etc. Links are on our site. They allow greater functionality that a normal remote ever could and are equivalent in size.

I hate to say this to you directly, but this is not really a decent solution for many.

Sure it works if you are a bachelor or something, but it seems that for many XBMC users (especially myself) the point is to allow the playback of media with an interface that the wife/kids/relatives can use without being taught multiple times.

That basically means a real remote with buttons that work and make sense. Keyboards don't work for that purpose unless you want to re-label keys with tape!

And once you really get into HTPCing for the family then you end up with a super Universal remote like a Harmony or a Pronto so that the wife/kids can hit one action button and magically the TV is on the right input, the computer wakes from sleep and the volume buttons work on the AV receiver.

XBMC works great for this because Harmonies can easily ape Microsoft MS remote, but it is a pain to get them to ape a keyboard (plus a waste because you have to buy the keyboard to ape it).

No, keyboards are just unacceptable inputs for ten foot interfaces. That is why when Apple cranked out Frontrow the Apple remote was made, and why now that Boxee is getting mature it is making a remote for itself. Keyboards are for computer, remotes are for TVs for normal people.

In fact I would say that there is a MAJOR opportunity in this field. As it is no one has really made a decent remote based task switcher/launcher on Linux. OSX has remote buddy and Windows has tons of Eventghost hacks, but on Linux there IS no nice way to switch between frontend applications (say MythTV for live TV, Hulu for web TV, and XBMC for local content) without nasty one button bash scrips (I say they are nasty but thank god they exist).

That is what was so exciting about the Element PC project when I first went to the site. That ten foot task launcher Element has is SCREAMING "I could be controlled by a remote, by a computer idiot like your wife!" But then a search for lirc on the forum realved that the functionality is locked up with a keyboard, destined to remain in the land of nerds.

I would never dare to tell anyone what to do with their projects, their time, or their resources, and I appreciate any work done by individuals to make Linux HTPCs better.

With that said my summarized comment basically is that expecting users of "ten foot" interfaces to have keyboards is ignoring the fundamental purpose of ten foot interfaces- to make HTPCs accessible to non nerds. Real success for HTPC software is for the final product to be little media appliances that the whole family can enjoy IMHO.
poofyhairguy Wrote:I hate to say this to you directly, but this is not really a decent solution for many.

Holy s**t, you mean an operating system in its early development isn't completely polished and ready for consumption by the masses??

Thanks guys, looking forward to having time to play with this. Excited about the possibilities!

NS
NotShorty Wrote:Holy s**t, you mean an operating system in its early development isn't completely polished and ready for consumption by the masses??

Awe come on! I can tell that Element is a labor of love of a pretty cool geek who is trying to help others! I know that to expect everything now is ridicules, and yes, even expecting awesome LIRC interface support is not something anyone should do at this point in such a project's development. LIRC is tough stuff as we all know.

What I was more commenting on was the project leader's very polite forum response that basically implied he had no intention of supporting LIRC because in his opinion the option of purchasing a HTPC keyboard is a superior option.

I simply listed a (non-concise) rant of the error of any decision to rule out future possible LIRC integration, on the grounds of concerns that might not mirror the original authors. I personally think differing points of view are good.

I was not saying "OMG THIS PROJECT HATES LIRC DOESN'T WORK AND IS SUXORS!"

I was saying " I think that it is a disappointment if the project avoids a more normal person friendly remote based interface in its future, especially because the author seems talented at creating ten foot based GUIs that scream for remote support!"
Criticisms like poofyhairguy has made when well-founded and actually backed by usability points - as he did is welcome advice. We're not ruling out LIRC and some mapping hacks exist in the forums for Element that provide some of the said functionality you would like to see. But currently they are just hacks. If or when they will be implemented, is not known nor currently discussed. We're focusing on a single item at a time working as hard and as fast as we can.

I'd like to point out though the guys at Boxee also understand the limits of "just a remote", See the link - they have a Qwerty keyboard on there upcoming system remote.
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/01/05/qwe...ox-remote/

Element's purpose isn't only media viewing we provide XBMC for that but we see HTPCs as just that Personal Computers for your Home Theater and are trying to provide a full computing experience within the construct of a ten foot UI. When attempting this we realized there are numerous usability limits when restricted to just remote functions. Until solid solutions can be figured out these will continue to exist,

If Element could garner enough attention to get a small OEM to deliver something like those Boxee remotes for our users we'd suggest it. Right now the Brando and Lenovo handheld keyboard/touchpads are what we are suggesting.
http://elementmypc.com/evtv/images/evtv_...2_full.jpg
http://www.elementmypc.com/main/images/h...ovokey.jpg

Thanks guys, feedback like this helps me gage what people outside our dev and current user community would like to see in Element before they decide to make the leap.

Kevin
http://www.elementmypc.com
Kevin,

I use a gyration remote which works great and will be even better when it is 100% functional all the time. which I understand is in the Lirc CVS version currently.

This gives mouse function in my remote from the desktion which works just fine for me. If I had access to an onscreen qwerty keyboard. I have searched for an app for linux to give me a keyboard on-screen with no luck so far. So a keyboard with a quick launch icon in the tool bar would be ideal.

The screen saver bug is an issue as I posted on the forums I have disable everything I can find including power management from startup apps and it still is enable every 5 min.

I am still testing but I do have everything up and running with element, mythtv, xbmc, suspend, gyration remote with lirc etc.. so far it is great, fast and solid.

Thanks,

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Element HTPC anyone?0