live/linux: which XBMC build to install? and other q's.
hi all.

sorry for the superfluous thread, but i am a 100% linux noob (i struggle enough as it at configuring XBMC on my old XBOX) and i am literally afraid of the prospect of installing XBMC on my new acer revo r3610.

i have searched these forums extensively but the wealth of threads is too overwhelming for me. also most of them contain commands and technical terms that i don't understand yet.

here's my setup and a list of what i want to do with it:

- 1080p monitor with loads of inputs. i wanna hook up the revo via HDMI and play audio through the analogue line-out on the monitor (stereo only, no digital surround yet).

- 1TB NTFS-formatted external USB hard disk. i will soon be adding another one. i wanna plug these into the revo cause i plan to play 720p+ videos and my current wireless network will be too slow.

- i want to run a torrent client on the revo itself, downloading to my external drive(s) and control it via webUI on my windows machine on my home network.

here are my questions:

- should i install XBMC live or a minimum linux install and then XBMC over the top? i have looked at loads of thread with custom ION builds etc, but i'm still not sure. like i said, i have no experience with linux/command lines/linux file systems/etc. never used it before.

- do i need any special drivers to get stereo audio via my HDMI? any other ION-specific drivers that i should know about?

- i can't afford to reformat my 1TB drive to a linux partition. it is nearly full of media and i don't have enough space anywhere to back it up. also that would take ages anyway. will linux automatically mount the NTFS-formatted drive? also, how do i share the contents of this drive so that i can access it from my windows machine over SMB? i will need to rename files on this drive so that the XBMC scrapers can pick them up. also i'm gonna stream music to my main PC.

- what is the best way to install a torrent client behind XBMC? all my storage will be attached to the revo so i want to download to that machine via webUI. what is the best client/webUI combo to use?

thanks in advance, and keep up all the great work on XBMC, all us noobs are eternally grateful!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
live/linux: which XBMC build to install? and other q's.0