How can I have XBMC autostart/restart? (ie. "XBMCBuntu" instead of XBMC Live)
I've installed Ubuntu (minimal) but I'd like to have XBMC automatically start (and restart after a crash).

It looks like XBMC Live uses a script called "runXBMC.sh" and some kind of "Upstart" script.

Can somebody give me some information on how I can add this functionality to my Ubuntu install?

Thanks so much!
Anybody? Sad
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live

will add this functionality. Check the xbmcbuntu guide in the wiki.

I use it my self but unlike the guide I downgrade grub first. Karmic use Grub2 and I am not sure if xbmc-live will work out the box with that or if you have to do some additional steps from the guide.

To downgrade grub:
Quote:sudo apt-get purge grub2 grub-pc
sudo rm /boot/grub/*

sudo apt-get install grub

sudo update-grub

sudo fdisk -l

sudo grub-install /dev/sdX

echo "grub hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
Thanks so much for that!

I'm just curious but why would I need Grub instead of Grub2? I thought this only installed a "service" or something that causes XBMC to restart if it crashes...?
grub 1&2 (short for GNU GRand Unified Bootloader) have nothing to do with xbmc.
they take over after you system boots (successful BIOS post)
then load the OS

xbmc-live takes over after that
to give you the 'set-top-box' experience

i just rebuilt mine using the wiki article (in my sig)
its awesome (& the last step is adding xbmc-live)
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
Quote:grub 1&2 (short for GNU GRand Unified Bootloader) have nothing to do with xbmc.
I dont know linux like you do, but since the grub config files are different in grub2 and xbmc-live writes to the files it might be important for the installation script to know the name of the files?
Last time I read the guide the entries in grub2 was made manually which I knew was not necessary for grub1. Now this is removed from the guide so I guess the installation script can handle both.

The guide is constantly changing since people with different ideas is editing it. I keep my hands of it not to add to the confusion.

The guide does not result in the same setup as live anymore. The latest change is that fluxbox is not installed anymore. By the way live 9.11 is using grub1.

Anther strange things are that the guide adds the user to the groups manually while the xbmc-live script also adds them.
Quote:I'm just curious but why would I need Grub instead of Grub2?

You dont unless you have problems with grub2. My asrock hangs for a minute in the boot with grub2. I am sure that this can be fixed but I have no problem with legacy.
I've compiled my own XBMC from SVN so I don't have any of the XBMC PPAs installed.

Can I still install this package? (it tries to install a bunch of packages including xbmc, xbmc-addons, etc)
Quote:I've compiled my own XBMC from SVN so I don't have any of the XBMC PPAs installed.

Can I still install this package? (it tries to install a bunch of packages including xbmc, xbmc-addons, etc)

I had this problem myself when I used to compile. I just made a quckfix, installed xbmc & live froom ppa and then built on top of that. That is not very nice since it leaves broken packages.

I am not sure if you can force the system to ignore the dependencies and install only the xbmc-live package.
What you can to is to download the package from svn and install the scripts manually.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can I have XBMC autostart/restart? (ie. "XBMCBuntu" instead of XBMC Live)0