Will the release of the Google TV platform make the XBMC software/framework obsolete?
sarriola Wrote:I think it integrates with your TV/PVR and has embedded internet browser.
XBMC/Boxee doesn't really have that functionality, XBMC/Boxee is just my second A/V input on my LCD-TV that front ends my media library of movies/tv shows/music/photos. I can switch over
to my browser for Internet or use other linux apps but they all are separate from XBMC.
XBMC on GoogleTV would be a downloaded app from the GoogleTV App store. Perhaps an
XBMC GoogleTV app isn't needed and you can just "Add Source" to GoogleTV but it may
not look as polished and nice as XBMC and it's skins.

XBMC as an app on GoogleTV would be a huge waste of resources to attain lackluster performance. The DVR integration mentioned will (eventually) work only with a Dish DVR.

This will be nice for Hulu integration if Hulu does not filter it out. It will be nice for some other online content. The litmus test for this is Netflix HD streaming. If it carries that, I will be marginally interested. Otherwise, it carries very little interest at all.
GJones Wrote:XBMC as an app on GoogleTV would be a huge waste of resources to attain lackluster performance. The DVR integration mentioned will (eventually) work only with a Dish DVR.

This will be nice for Hulu integration if Hulu does not filter it out. It will be nice for some other online content. The litmus test for this is Netflix HD streaming. If it carries that, I will be marginally interested. Otherwise, it carries very little interest at all.

I can't imagine Dish allowing the Netflix integration on their platform; they sell movie rentals already. I can see a Dish competitor to Netflix using the technology; why not use IP bandwidth instead of their valuable satellite bandwidth?

That's the problem with this supposedly "open source" approach by Google. All of the corporate partners will influence the application on their platform to give them an advantage. That means it will be crippled in comparison to the lower profile, authentically open source solutions like xbmc.
Well, I think it's a threat to boxee, not xbmc
Dish and Google issued a joint press release; supposedly, the new service is a firmware update to their existing HD PVRs, along with a Google box hooked up via HDMI, due out this fall. There's only one HDMI port on my 721PVR, so the Google box must reside between the Dish PVR and the TV.

The nice thing about it is that the service will use the existing Dish remote for navigation, apparently without switching modes on the remote (the Internet is incorporated into the EPG, I guess). Dish is notorious for missing their release dates on things, so I won't hold my breath. And pricing will determine if I try it. If there's a monthly charge, I'll skip it.
Another front end to bring me over compressed content with forced commercials? No thanks, pass.
I'm a pretty big fan of google services, but is google tv going to give me a better experience for my library of movies, music, and tv shows I have on my local server than XBMC? I think not.
As most people have said, it's going to take one hell of a product to move me off xbmc. I'm not seeing it yet.
Agree. Also XBMC supports addons; any very popular app can be ported to XBMC if someone wishes to do so. Do not see any big advantage in Google TV currently....
There were some features though that might make sense for xbmc to support though, namely the nice search method. But that one makes most sense when PVR is in aswell.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I'm going to be buying a new (smaller) xbmc box shortly. The question...do I buy an Acer Revo, Zotac ZBOXHD-ID11, wait for the Shuttle XS35, or wait even longer for the Logitech/google tv.

The thing about the google tv is that it might integrate nicely with everything, but you might be 'locked' to a particular OS...kind of like ATV. So many decisions....
It's a big waste of crap for Canadians, since most americans sites such as Hulu, amazon, netflix are all blocked (yes but there ways around it but lets not get into that).

Canadians suffer from a very strict content control, this google tv will never come out here if it does it'll be useless.

I don't understand why people think anything will hurt XBMC, it has it's market and it's people that fund it; thats it.
wiz561 Wrote:I'm going to be buying a new (smaller) xbmc box shortly. The question...do I buy an Acer Revo, Zotac ZBOXHD-ID11, wait for the Shuttle XS35, or wait even longer for the Logitech/google tv.

The thing about the google tv is that it might integrate nicely with everything, but you might be 'locked' to a particular OS...kind of like ATV. So many decisions....

I'm configuring a box right now, and when I saw the announcement from Google and Dish, I was wondering if I have wasted my money. But a few things make me think that the Google/Dish (or Google/Logitech) solution won't be better than xbmc.

Local media (videos, music and pictures) is a big one for me. It doesn't appear that any of the Google TV solutions integrate UPnP or DLNA to allow you to stream your local content. I suspect Google will pair it with their new cloud storage solution they are selling (first 2GB free), and encourage people to put their music and pictures in the cloud (no thanks, the cloud is named aptly in my opinion: wispy, vaporous, and can disappear with the flick of a switch).

On-line content is secondary for me, and I'm thinking there will be subscription charges for the Dish solution (another $5 a month is my guess). The Logitech box will probably retail in the ~$200 range (a guess based on the Intel processor). And individual on-line content providers charge a subscription fee (even Hulu is rumored to be starting a fee soon).

So it may just be justification on my part, or my "control issues", but I think the roll-your-own approach using open source solutions like xbmc, while technically more difficult, is best. YMMV.
Thanks for the insight. What did you decide on purchasing?

In a utopia world, if somebody offered a 'plan' that's about 30 bucks a month and allows access to tv shows up the ying-yang without commercials, I might think about it.

Until then, I think the best bet is probably to stay with XBMC. Now, onto thinking more about my hardware dilemma. Big Grin
Did anyone else check xbmc.org immediately after watching the GoogleTV video? I expected some connection.

No need to panic. How I view it, no open source project can ever be "threatened" like closed products/companies when there are still a even a small group of faithful followers/devs.

Competition is good! May they mention XBMC in a passing breath or contribute.

I see only opportunities for hardware or media sources from this news.

One subject GoogleTV brings up is the keyboard in the living room. On all the latest installs of XBMC in homes I've done, more people are adopting it. it seems strange to me to accept the keyboard on the couch and not lust after my xbox remote back home. Strange to anyone else? And that Google is basing their product on keyboard requirement?
AaronCompNetSys Wrote:Did anyone else check xbmc.org immediately after watching the GoogleTV video? I expected some connection.

No need to panic. How I view it, no open source project can ever be "threatened" like closed products/companies when there are still a even a small group of faithful followers/devs.

Competition is good! May they mention XBMC in a passing breath or contribute.

I see only opportunities for hardware or media sources from this news.

One subject GoogleTV brings up is the keyboard in the living room. On all the latest installs of XBMC in homes I've done, more people are adopting it. it seems strange to me to accept the keyboard on the couch and not lust after my xbox remote back home. Strange to anyone else? And that Google is basing their product on keyboard requirement?

Right. Keyboards are NO living room devices.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will the release of the Google TV platform make the XBMC software/framework obsolete?0