Video Library slow to open
Question 
Hi guys,

I've had a search but I can't seem to find a similar thread. Apologies if one exists.

I first tried the library on a modded xbox but gave up, figuring performance issues were related to the hardware more than anything else. I'm still seeing the same 'issue' on an ASROCK 330 ION system and so I'm wondering if it's just unrealistic expectations on my part or if something might be wrong in my setup.

The problem is that when I switch to library mode, or access the video library in any way, I'm faced with a long pause (several minutes) on an empty (skinned not blank) screen. Once this finishes and I can see the content, navigating around is as quick as non-library view. If I exit the library and go back in, the same pause/delay happens again.

My setup:
I'm running an ASROCK330 ION on linux (ubuntu) with nightly build 28274 (and other builds tried from as far back as Atlantis). The delay in startup seems unaffected by method of network connection (tried wifi @ 128Mbit and lan @ Gb). I've tried multiple network sources (Unraid Gb tower, HP EX490 Gb); one at a time, together, and with varying amount of content in the library (from 1 movie to a few full TV series). I cleaned the library, rescanned, and rebooted between switches. Have also toggled 'update library at startup' to no effect.

I had figured it was the network but utilization seems quite low. Is this in itself the issue? Transfer speeds from gnome desktop to/from either of the above servers is very performant.

Does everyone see the same behaviour? Given the lack of other threads on the subject I can only assume either a) they don't or b) I'm *really* impatient. Smile

Thanks for any/all help.
A debug log may show something interesting.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

how long it takes xbmc about 30 sec to open movie list i presume because of multiple directories. i have an i7 6g ram. hdd 64mb caching and gtx275
jmarshall - I'm reinstalling from scratch using a script to ensure some commonality with other environments. Once completed I'll produce a log and upload it, thanks.

Booman - are those directories local, i.e. on the same system as XBMC, or are they network shares?
local no networking
Small update on this... After attempting to reinstall using the scripts available on this forum (XBMScript and XCI) and have different issues I decided to bite the bullet and sit down with the wiki howto and install manually.

Apart from not being able to get my wireless dongle working (any rt2870 gurus reading, I'd love your help) XBMC is up and running great. I'm running via a 802.11b ethernet/wireless bridge (i.e. it's a slow connection) and my media shares (SMB) are added to the library... but the library opens near instantaneously. Seriously impressed by it.

I'll bump the thread again if performance suffers once I've added the remaining sources and can switch back to my wireless dongle for networking but so far at least it seems the slowness was caused by my previous installs, the only thing they had in common being that they were done via 'easy install' scripts.
Sinnocence,
I am having the same problem. When you said you sat down with the wiki to add manually, exactly what did you add manually?
Could you post a link to the part of the wiki that applies?
Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Library slow to open0