DVB-API Integration for XBMC
Hello all
First, before I start modifying the source code of my xbmc, I want to ask any question about dvb-api in xbmc
I read some topic in the forum about xbmc streaming, but this is not really stable and less flexible and crashing evry time, so I told myself that I can integrate some function in the source code to add another function dvbplayer as LiveTV to be integrated in xbmc.
So before making the change or losing my time, why didn't this function was created by the developer of xbmc, are there anything in xbmc which makes it quite incompatible

I am a programmer c + + and this is my first thing I want to do with xbmc.

Please, that are possible or not

Thanks in advance
Anything is possible, though I don't see the point of this in particular. Reason is simple: Streaming from DVB is not that interesting. Recording, EPG etc. is. The PVR branch is setup to handle that, and is likely to be merged in reasonably shortly (i.e. in the next few months).

We'd welcome any efforts to improve that.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

many people have DVB-S-S2-T-C card satellite, we use other programs to watch satellite channels, and the rest of the media, we used XBMC, because it is the best among all program media center. but it does not have this option as many other media center have implemented into their program to manage the dvb. I understand that Streaming from DVB is not that interesting "FOR XBOX", But for HTPC it is. for this reason XBMC is not offering full control of our materials, we must streaming from other dvbplayers to watch a TV in XBMC!!!. that will be a great if xbmc is completed.

excuse me for my english friend

Thanks
tvheadend works great for streaming to xbmc already (and it supports alot more stuff). it also happens to have the quickes channel changing time i've ever seen (while playing in xbmc).

I'm not sure of the status of dvb-s in it, but dvb-c/t both work great. I suggest you help out on that project instead.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

elupus Wrote:tvheadend works great for streaming to xbmc already (and it supports alot more stuff). it also happens to have the quickes channel changing time i've ever seen (while playing in xbmc).

I'm not sure of the status of dvb-s in it, but dvb-c/t both work great. I suggest you help out on that project instead.

dvb-s support is also great
If XBMC were to get native DVB support, it would also need to have descrambling (decrypting, decoding, however you call it).
This will require alot of code to be written into XBMC, and alot more dependencies;
descrambler, card client, card reader, subscription card, a more easy to access PVR frontend for scheduling (like ForTheRecord, which does this job superb).

Combining all this into the core XBMC is in my opinion not the way to go.
It is going to make XBMC bloated for people who don't have any DVB hardware.

It would however be very nice to have as a fork.
With an all in one HTPC solution based on XBMC.
I'm totally agains adding all that support into xbmc. It would be totally wrong to require our cpu hog to gui to be forced to run just so a show would be recorded later on for example..

Plus descrambling issues like you mention. All this stuff is handled quite well with myth backend/tvheadend/vdr (which all are supported for live tv playback currently).. Never heard of ForTheRecord.

Once we get the new branch merged, we'll have much better gui and handling of epg's and better gui for all of these backends in the works.

We plan on support tvserver from the mediaportal project aswell for those on windows, but might take some more time.

elupus Wrote:We plan on support tvserver from the mediaportal project aswell for those on windows, but might take some more time.
Well, most things are are already working. Most problematic thing at the moment is that the rtsp playback in the ffmpeg version in the SVN trunk is broken for MediaPortal streams. (FYI: av_find_stream_info fails under Windows).
Playback works fine with older ffmpeg libs.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
margo: i think the rtsp issue should be fixed

elupus Wrote:margo: i think the rtsp issue should be fixed
Yes, its fixed in the trunk since r28932. Thanks.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
elupus Wrote:tvheadend works great for streaming to xbmc already (and it supports alot more stuff). it also happens to have the quickes channel changing time i've ever seen (while playing in xbmc).

How quick does it change channel? I'm about to use the Myth script, but am willing to try all angles until the integration of PVR comes.
Myth has a notorious history of being very different channel changing speed from user to user. But tvheadend seems to be changing as quickly as the fastest i've seen on myth (or heard of).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVB-API Integration for XBMC0