XMBC Networking issue
Sad 
Hi all, I am new to the forum as of this morning, and my reason for joining is a matter of desperation.

I haev been running a hard chipped (evox) xbox for 5 years now with XMBC. I use XMBC to navigate to my NAS and i watch DiVX and Xvid files. My problem is as of yesterday it just stopped.
Here are the facts as i know it.
1- Static IP, outside DHCP range
2- I can ping the xbox from my computer
3- I can see it on the network with an IP scanner
4- I can ftp to the box
5- I can ftp and ping my NAS
6- I used to access my files using the following route (may not be the easiest but it worked for 5 years). I would open XBMC, select videos, then select the WORKGROUP (SMB) option. Under this option, it would then display the available workgroups on my network (i have a personal one, the kids have school laptops and my work laptop), so at any time it could display 3 available workgroups, then i would select the device blah blah blah.
7-Another thing i just realised was, the xbox lost system time the other week after being turned off at the wall for 5 days. However now it has been reset, it is holding timeeven being completely unplugged for upto 10 mins.

Now i get NADDA!, ZIP, ZILCH, SFA!!! it is a blank list with the return arrow to go back.

I have tried a different router, i have also tried just a plain switch.

Anyone else come across this? Do the network cards fail? This is the kind of issue i have seen with PC network cards?

Help, please?!! :confused2:
Good news everyone. Its fixed. Or so it would seem.

After reading a number of other posts regarding the workgroup SMB not displaying any workgoups to connect to, after working issue free for extended periods of time, i stumbled across the solution.

There was a guy inthe UK who had the same problem. IT started all of a sudden, with no apparent changes. It turned out that one of his computers has changed settings on the network and was having issues of its own, which somehow affected his network. Didnt appear to be firewall or anything that was commonly noted around other forums.

He discovered that when that PC was turned off his xbmc worked fine, could detect the work group, connect and play with no problems. If he turned the xbox on after that computer was started, and WORKGROUP (SMB) was blank. He removed that computer from the workgroup and the issue went away.

It got me thinking about my NAS, which i had had issues with a week before. When i went back to it, yes i could ping it, yes i could ftp to it, as in open via fp, but i couldnt actually transfer any data from it, and i also couldnt log into it via the web interface.

Disconnected my NAS from the network, and suddenly XBMC can see my workgroup again. Reset my NAS, and its working like a charm.

My NAS is a Lacie Network Space, and apparently when the power is abruptly shut off for any reason, "When this happens, the media servers (either TwonkyVision or mtdaapd) will not stream properly, or may not index media files.", hence fails to work properly.

Hope this helps someone else with this pesky problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBC Networking issue0