ION2 system thread
teaguecl Wrote:Looking at a "next generation ion" build this summer, specifically the Zotac Zbox. It only has one DDR2 memory slot, so my question is 2GB or 4GB? Anyone with a current generation ion system that might have some insight?

2 gig should be plenty. The acer revo 1600(first gen ion) only comes with 1gig and tho its recommended that you upgrade to 1.5gig there have been alot of posts saying it runs fine with just the 1gig. 2 gigs should be more than enough, especially considering the ion2 has 512meg of dedicated ram where the ion1 used shared system ram.
I am picking up the Zotac ION2 Z-Box when it's released, and will just throw an old 1GB stick in it. The reason people needed to upgrade to 2GB on first generation ION was to get the benefits of dual-channel ram. ION2's 512MB of built in video RAM negates this requirement. XBMC runs quite well on AppleTV which only has 256MB RAM and 64MB of video RAM.
If anyone is interested notebook check have just tested a pre release Eee PC 1201PN with next gen ion

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-Next...021.0.html

Might give you an idea of how the ion2 will perform
Anandtech now has their review up of the Zotac ZBOX-HD-ID11. It's confirmed not to be fanless, and the fan is apparently loud. Even with the fan, the reviewer claimed it ran very hot - especially in Linux. Consider me disappointed, I need a new htpc but will hold out until a real fanless solution is released. Hope it's sometime this century!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotac...-than-ion1
Yeah just got that review from Engadgets RSS feed.... looks like I'm gonna wait for the XS35 next month - see what that delivers....
Looking at the Anandtech review, I am confused a bit by the power consumption numbers.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotac...han-ion1/7

The paragraph is confusingly worded, but I think the table is clear. The ion2 consumes more power than ion1. What? I thought the whole idea was that the Pine Trail was very power efficient, and that would enable them to be passively cooled. Seems to me that more power = more heat. Therefore, it would be easier to passively cool an ion1 system than the ion2!
Am I nuts? What's the advantage to ion2 if it's not power consumption? It's certainly not performance. Or price.
teaguecl Wrote:Looking at the Anandtech review, I am confused a bit by the power consumption numbers.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotac...han-ion1/7

The paragraph is confusingly worded, but I think the table is clear. The ion2 consumes more power than ion1. What? I thought the whole idea was that the Pine Trail was very power efficient, and that would enable them to be passively cooled. Seems to me that more power = more heat. Therefore, it would be easier to passively cool an ion1 system than the ion2!
Am I nuts? What's the advantage to ion2 if it's not power consumption? It's certainly not performance. Or price.

You have a point, what remains to be seen is how Shuttle solves this with their upcoming ION2 box. If it's really passively cooled then the few Watts difference don't matter, it will be a surefire success.
teaguecl Wrote:The ion2 consumes more power than ion1. What? I thought the whole idea was that the Pine Trail was very power efficient, and that would enable them to be passively cooled.

Pine trail != ION2 (or 1 for that matter)

Pine trail is the Intel CPU part of the equation, ION2 is the Nvidia chipset/GPU bit.

Or do I have that totally wrong? (ION_MAN can answer that one!).

ION2 very well may draw more juice and therefore create more heat, but Pinetrail is intended to do the opposite.

The XS35 looks pretty metalic in its design, I reckon the entire case might be one giant heatsink....?
magnetik Wrote:Pine trail != ION2 (or 1 for that matter)

Pine trail is the Intel CPU part of the equation, ION2 is the Nvidia chipset/GPU bit.

'Pine Trail' is the name for the Intel platform combining an Intel 'Pineview' Atom cpu with an Intel NM10 Express southbridge.

While ION1 replaced the old Intel chipset used with 1st gen Atoms, ION2 still requires the presence of the complete 'Pine Trail' platform (Atom cpu + NM10 chip) since ION2 is just a graphics processor, not a chipset.

So ION2 is simply an added component to the 'Pine Trail' platform.
Thanks for the clarification on the chips and the nomenclature, it's helpful if we all use the correct terms - I'll try to do my part. I think we're all in agreement on the situation but I'd like to rephrase my question to make it a little more straightforward to answer.
If Shuttle is trying to make the XS35 passively cooled, would it be easier or harder to do with ION2 compared to the original ION?
I believe the answer is that it is harder to passively cool ION2, since it consumes more power and presumably generates more heat. If that is true, I'm worried. As far as I know, nobody was able to passively cool a first gen ION without doing some pretty extreme and expensive stuff with the case. Good luck Shuttle, we're rooting for you!
teaguecl Wrote:If Shuttle is trying to make the XS35 passively cooled, would it be easier or harder to do with ION2 compared to the original ION?
I believe the answer is that it is harder to passively cool ION2, since it consumes more power and presumably generates more heat. If that is true, I'm worried. As far as I know, nobody was able to passively cool a first gen ION without doing some pretty extreme and expensive stuff with the case. Good luck Shuttle, we're rooting for you!

Not necessarily, let me explain why. An ION2 box contains 3 main chips:

- the 'Pineview' Atom cpu (10/13 Watts TDP)
- the NM10 southbridge (below 2 Watts TDP)
- the ION2 chip (13 Watts TDP)

so here the heat is spread over 3 chips while on an original ION box most of the heat was generated by one single chip: the ION chip, since the old Atom cpu had a very low TDP as it didn't include the northbridge.

You need to remember that the old ION was a northbridge (memory controller), southbridge (SATA, USB, etc controller) and a GPU all in one.

It's much easier to passively cool 3 lower TDP chips than one high TDP chip.

In fact there are several passively cooled 'Pineview' Atom + NM10 mother boards available and there are passively cooled Nvidia G210 cards available (equivalent to ION2), so combining these shouldn't be a mayor issue.
Any of those Ion2 systems out already? How long is the wait?
Just would like to tell that I just ended install XBMC in a Zotac Zbox (ION2) and with hardware acceleration turned on, it is just flawless at 1080P. I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with last version of XBMC and Alaska Revisited skin. If you have any questions feel free...

Hardware setup is :

Zotac Zbox 220€
Transcend 2Gb 800 58€
WD 160Gb 7200rpm 16Mb Cache 42€
fireball.pt Wrote:Just would like to tell that I just ended install XBMC in a Zotac Zbox (ION2) and with hardware acceleration turned on, it is just flawless at 1080P. I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with last version of XBMC and Alaska Revisited skin. If you have any questions feel free...

EXCELENT! I'm about to get Zotac ZBOX HD-ID40 (4GB) with Win7_64 so I'm really looking forward to it! Can it really play fullHD with 10.x Dharma and so worth..
- Must there be 3rd party players included (mplayer/vlc or so)
- Will be general lookandFeel be smooooth and fluent.
- Will it work with some IR-receivers (Igor/Xbox's original IR)?

a lot of questions..

Smile
ok. Now I got the Zotac ZBOX HD-ID40 (4GB ddr2 @800)
conslusions:

- Magnificient HW, quiet and somewhat powerfull.
- Win7_64 did not gave directDraw (disabled), but Direct3D yes.
- XP32 gave all DirectX features.
- DVD .iso images goes like dream.
- 720p DivX tend to be not so fluent
- 720p H264 (mkv) did not quite be watchable.
- FullHD .MTS (Sony digicmera, AHC-1) did not play well at all.
- Logitech Dinovo Mini worked well.. Special buttons (play,stop...) worked with music player, not the DVD player..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ION2 system thread0