Database structure has changed once more?
I read this on blinkleb's DSPlayer thread:

Warning: If you upgrade to 28723 you will not be able to downgrade to a lower revision as the databases are not compatible. The new addon manager in r28723 is incomplete (ie plugins and visualizations do not work).

To clarify, when nightly builds will be once more available, they will be a one way ticket? No more downgrading to previous builds? Do I get this right?
uhm... yes, how on earth do you suggest we'd do it otherwise? been like this for years and years. we only provide upgrade paths.
always backup your database before upgrading
spiff Wrote:uhm... yes, how on earth do you suggest we'd do it otherwise? been like this for years and years. we only provide upgrade paths.
It was a simple question. I just wanted to be sure. It happened before and I'm aware of it.

My opinion on the matter isn't worth anything special but I'll give it just the same: by not providing a downgrade path you discourage users testing the development builds. That may or may not be perceived as relevant. It's clear that in this case advantages are outweighed by disadvantages. I imagine you discussed this internally in the past. No biggie. Nod
TeknoJnky Wrote:always backup your database before upgrading
I've been using XBMC since September 2005. I kinda know my way around. Backing up is fine and dandy but still some things are lost (such as watched status if I'm not mistaken).
If you backup your dbase nothing by definition can be lost. Note this not the same as exporting to nfo etc
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
Your watched status is saved just fine if you export to a single file. Obviously you need a new enough SVN for this (chicken and the egg) :p

And downgrade paths are impossible without time travel: After all, without knowledge of the future database layout, we can't provide a downgrade option back to the current layout.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

ashlar Wrote:I read this on blinkleb's DSPlayer thread:

Warning: If you upgrade to 28723 you will not be able to downgrade to a lower revision as the databases are not compatible. The new addon manager in r28723 is incomplete (ie plugins and visualizations do not work).

To clarify, when nightly builds will be once more available, they will be a one way ticket? No more downgrading to previous builds? Do I get this right?

Of course that I agree with jmarshall's almost filosofical observation Smile, but in this specific case there is an easier option for downgrading: just update the field idVersion of the version table of XBMC database back to 34, and you'll be able to downgrade just fine. At least with the changes done to the db design so far. Then when you want to upgrade again don't forget to update that field to 35 before upgrading.
xexe Wrote:If you backup your dbase nothing by definition can be lost. Note this not the same as exporting to nfo etc
Yeah, but if I export to the single file version, I don't get the pictures saved and I have to redownload everything.

Unless... could exporting to single file, then to multiple files and then deleting all the .nfo files work?
copy the .db file mate. no export at all involved.
ashlar Wrote:Yeah, but if I export to the single file version, I don't get the pictures saved and I have to redownload everything.

Unless... could exporting to single file, then to multiple files and then deleting all the .nfo files work?

When you export to a single file you also have the option to export thumbs/fanart/actor images to the same directory the single file is exported to and then import everything from there. You won't lose almost anything, not even watched flags. I think the only thing you'll loose are bookmarks and a few individual file settings (like zoom mode, etc.)

If you back up your .db files, as suggested by spiff you won't even loose that. Well, actually you'll only loose anything added to the db after upgrading and before downgrading.
charrua Wrote:When you export to a single file you also have the option to export thumbs/fanart/actor images to the same directory the single file is exported to and then import everything from there.
Shocked This must have been added without me noticing. If that's the case, great! Really happy to hear it.
ashlar Wrote:Shocked This must have been added without me noticing. If that's the case, great! Really happy to hear it.

Be happy, that is the case... http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/28190
(it's not optional as I thought though)
A really recent change. For the good. Happy, really happy about it.

Thanks!
ashlar Wrote:A really recent change. For the good. Happy, really happy about it.
Thanks!
You're most welcome. The only thing I don't like about the export/import functionality in XBMC is that is not very fast. spiff's suggestion (backing up the db files) is much better speed wise, and you don't loose any info up to the moment of backup. But you loose new info added and you have to remember to back up the Thumnails too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Database structure has changed once more?0