• 3(current)
Finished TV and Movie Automation in a Virtual Machine
supertom44 Wrote:@aptalca

Nice guide, deffinetly something Im looking to set up.

Only issue I have come accross is I can find a site that offers Rss feed that also has 720 quality of the shows I want.

Sadly none of them seem to which is strange as the shows Im looking for aren't rare, things like Castle, big bang theory and how i met your mother.

Looks like for now Ill have to stick to doing it manually.

Cheers for the guide though, will come in handy.

Not sure if this has been thrown out on here already but you could try ShowRSS to get 720 quality. You can actually generate several feeds that include standard and high def, or just high def for your show list. Still can't guarantee that all of your shows will have a 720 version but it might be a start.
Cheers Ill check it out, at the moment I have been using newsgroups, works brilliantly.

Only issue now is my nas had died and tried to take all of my data with it. So I am now trying to get my data off it.
hello guys,

I use a similar process to automate my torrent downloads.
The difference is that i installed the tools directly on the host because I had a bad experience by testing with a virtual machine in performance,

For remote desktop the htpc, i use a windows seven patch that allow multiple remote desktop connection and i remote in with a second account.

but should i test again in vm because i'm seduce by the idea of having a portable configuration.

Question : Why you use virtualbox and not the windows virtual pc for win7 ?

Other différence is the software used,

I use a soft named watchdirectory that includes all the features (and more) of those used in this tutorial, it easily replace scru + belvedere + eventghost.

It is not free but extremely powerful and complete and the advantage is having a single soft to manage the entire automation process.

I would have a little more detail my setup but i am french and not very good with English
Haze, i have just had a look at your WatchDirectory software and it looks great. I am trying to set it up using theRenamer at the moment, but it doesn't seem to be working properly, theRenamer seems to execute, but not actually do anything, but when i launch it manually it works fine.

Have you used theRenamer with it?

Thanks
i'd love to find a substitute program for belvedere. the thing is just too glitchy to be fully functional.
yes i use therenamer, here is a screen of my settings :

it launch on "FILENEW" and "DIRNEW", run as service, and it works perfectly

hope i help you
yes i use therenamer, here is a screen of my settings :

and it works perfectly

hope i help you
Wow these setups look really complicated... I just installed a copy of windows server 2008 R2 (You can really use any windows version, doesnt even need server) and set up samba shares for my files, then installed uTorrent and setup RSS TV show downloading (eztv). I don't even bother with renaming or anything since XBMC scrapes all my scene names just fine.
Haze Wrote:yes i use therenamer, here is a screen of my settings :

and it works perfectly

hope i help you

thanks for your reply, would it also be possible to post a screenshot or tell me which of these methods you use:

the thing i am worried about is, what will happen if theRenamer launches when the files are still being seeded?

thanks!
usually I use the "default" monitoring method because the "fast" method does not always work,
otherwise the task start as service and for events "FILENEW" and "DIRNEW"

for the seed, effectively if the file is seeding it's problematic for therenamer move the file,

my solution is to set utorrent to stop the seed when file is finished,
and for keep a good ratio i caught up on other files than tv shows that I leave seed.

You can also create a intermediate task with watchdirectory for that copy the downloaded file into another directory where you execute therenamer.
wow thanks man! using a similar method i have managed to get it to work now. i had to change it from running as a service, because for some reason it would hang, so i have set it with startup folders now and it seems to be working fine. the only problem is, my computer used to standby automatically after 30 minutes of being idle, now it won't do that, and i assume it is because of WatchDirectory, any ideas?
to run watchdirectory as a service I had to enter my login details in the appropriate tab:

for the standby i have no idea, mine never standby.
@OP can you please explain the "Parsing File Name of TV Show" part for me? What does this do exactly? I suspect (and hope) it is a way to bring up a notification inside XBMC that said tv show has been added?

Thanks! And if you have any updated info please let us know!

BTW For TV Shows I have decided to use " TV Rename" as it grabs fanart and makes xbmc .nfo for you as well as renames - it also has a nifty upcoming show calendar. Have you changed any of the software listed in the OP?
I keep thinking the thread is dead since I never get an email notification anymore and I never check it. I'll start checking on a regular basis. I'll send some replies to the pm's as well.

I have used watchdirectory in the past and loved it. It works really well but costs a ton! $129 is a lot.

My system has been running great since I created the post. I never touch any files anymore. No moving, renaming, unraring or anything. I have to remember to check for updated software every few weeks due to the lack of interaction I have with it anymore.

I'm still using eventghost, therenamer, ember media manager, belvedere and scru. EMM and therenamer are under constant development so I try to check for updates once in a while. I used TV Rename for years but the developer kept breaking command line functions that I needed and it takes a lot more to setup. therenamer is super simple and works perfect for me. EMM will soon have command line functions to scrape TV shows so I plan on sticking with these.

About my seeding. All of my TV shows and Movies seed till 150% or for 2 days. Whichever comes first. The 150% is set in utorrent. I use belvedere to copy my new shows to a secondary directory the second they finish downloading and then run therenamer on the secondary directory. It then moves and renames the copied shows to their proper directories while leaving the originals untouched and still seeding. Belvedere knows to delete all of my tv shows in my torrent download directory after 2 days. For any high def content belvedere lets them seed for 4 days instead of 2.

Belvedere can be a little tricky but once I got it set I never have any issues. No glitchyness or anything at all. I had to play with the order of the rules and the order of the conditions within a rule. Even though it should work one way I had to mess around a bit until it liked it. Would be nice if there was something as powerful but a little more reliable with the results.
ten8Epee Wrote:@OP can you please explain the "Parsing File Name of TV Show" part for me? What does this do exactly? I suspect (and hope) it is a way to bring up a notification inside XBMC that said tv show has been added?

Thanks! And if you have any updated info please let us know!

BTW For TV Shows I have decided to use " TV Rename" as it grabs fanart and makes xbmc .nfo for you as well as renames - it also has a nifty upcoming show calendar. Have you changed any of the software listed in the OP?

The parsing is for an email plugin in eventghost. I get an email saying "New episode of Whatever the show is". This is practically my favorite feature since I have a smart phone (iphone) that beeps when I get an email. So no matter what I'm doing I know that I got a new show.

Years ago I had a script in XBMC that gave me a popup when I downloaded something new. Not really that useful to me, especially with the email notification I get. Not sure if that exists anymore but I'm sure something does.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Finished TV and Movie Automation in a Virtual Machine1