• 4(current)
Finished TV and Movie Automation in a Virtual Machine
Thanks for bumping this thread. I learned a real lot.
i agree. belvedere has been a bit tricky for me so far. for some reason using a combination of rules for a set folder would never work as expected.
I updated a couple things that I do now.

A cool new thing you can now do in therenamer.
You can now specify the fetch folder and archive folder from parameters.(Quotes Required)
fetchfolder: -ff="Huh"
archivefolder: -af="Huh"

Examples: (works with -fetchmovie too)
theRenamer.exe -fetch -ff="c:\abc"
theRenamer.exe -fetch -af="d:\def"
theRenamer.exe -fetch -ff="c:\abc" -af="d:\def"
I store my HD movies in a separate directory so this works perfect for that.
my use of it: -fetchmovie -ff="E:\HD Movie Rename Temp" -af="E:\-HD Movies"

I also changed how I use SCRU. I now enter the input and output paths. Just make sure the option is set to rename the unrared file to the name of the original parent directory otherwise therenamer won't know what to do with the messed up name of the movie.
(G:\Downloads\Torrent-Finished\movies "Z:\Movies Rename Temp")
Missed a question from twotone8 a while ago regarding therenamer and getting it to recognize The Daily Show. Here is what you do in therenamer. Copied from http://www.therenamer.com/forum/viewtopi...show#p1244

Please add:
1) Showname column:The Daily Show
IDcode:71256
and
2) Showname column:The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
IDcode:71256

and whatever filename people like to call it.

You will need to check Yr column. This forces theRenamer to scan using AirDates.

Works perfect for me and I did the same thing for the colbert report.
A few images of my belvedere TV configuration that work well for me.

One for copying my HD movies.
I had an issue that I posted here with SCRU and creating duplicate files. I've now gotten around that by having the command line path, from where SCRU extracts the files from, a variable that is the exact path to the newly downloaded content instead of the main directory path.

I'm using almost the same thing I did with the TV show filename parsing to email me the new show I got. I added a python script to eventghost:
Code:
from os import path
fp = eg.event.payload[0]
name, ext = path.splitext(fp)
eg.result  = name
eg.globals.miscPath = eg.result
print eg.globals.miscPath
This gives me the new variable "eg.globals.miscPath" that contains the path to the newly downloaded content.

I then enter this into the command line options for the Start Application Action Item in evenghost:
Code:
"{eg.globals.miscPath}" "Z:\- Misc Video\Example Folder\New Files"
It now extracts files from the variable path and puts them in a never changing path ("Z:\- Misc Video\Example Folder\New Files").
Wasn't working right. The script was cutting the end of the path off so I did this workaround for now and it seams to be working perfect so far.

I now have it working! Probably not the cleanest as I'm sire this could have been done in one python script. I played with python stuff for a while and ended up with just the end I was missing but could not combine the beginning and end so I created two scripts, one for the proper beginning, and one for the end of the path.

Script one creating the variable miscPath1:
Code:
from os import path
fp = eg.event.payload[0]
eg.result  = name
eg.globals.miscPath1 = eg.result
print eg.globals.miscPath1
example output for original path of (u'\\\\HTPC\\Torrent-Finished\\Misc\\example.DVDRip.XviD-name',): \\HTPC\Torrent-Finished\Misc\example.DVDRip

Script two creating the variable miscPath2:
Code:
from os import path
fp = eg.event.payload[0]
eg.result  = path.splitext(fp)[1]
eg.globals.miscPath2 = eg.result
print eg.globals.miscPath2
example output: .XviD-name

Now I just combine the two in the command line part of launching SCRU:
Code:
"{eg.globals.miscPath1}{eg.globals.miscPath2}" "Z:\- Misc Video\example folder\New Files"

edit: this works perfect but is a long way to do it. I finally found out the right way. Here is the code:
Code:
from os import path
fp = path.abspath(eg.event.payload[0])
eg.globals.miscPath = fp
Now the full path is put into the one variable.
Another thing I hadn't mentioned was the use of the XBMCRepeat plugin for eventghost. It's just like the default xbmc plugin that comes with eventghost but this one lets you control XBMC based on ip address, which you need when running eventghost in a virtual pc that has a different ip than the host box running XBMC
My Example:
Virtual PC running eventghost IP: 192.168.0.55
Host PC running XBMC IP: 192.168.0.50

The XBMCRepeat Update Video Library action now sends the update to my host box (192.168.0.50).

You could use this to send the update command (or any other XBMC command) to multiple computers running XBMC, all based on their ip.
Here is the link to it: here
HTPC Specs:
95w 3 core AMD Phenom 8750 2.4GHz / MSI Media Live Diva 5.1 (MS-7411) Motherboard / On-board ATI Radeon HD3200 / On-board preamp 5.1 sound card / 4 x 1 terabyte sata segate 7200.12 / 8GB SDRAM / CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W / SILVERSTONE Media Center HTPC Case / 1080p 42" Dynex LCD \ 5.1 Polk Audio Surround Sound - RM6750

Details of my fully automated, virtual Windows 7, HTPC setup here
leboff in the evenghost forums just sent me the python code to get the full path of my eventghost event into one variable. Here it is:
Code:
from os import path
fp = path.abspath(eg.event.payload[0])
eg.globals.miscPath = fp

That now puts the path of my newly downloaded content into a variable named miscPath. You then use that variable in the command line parameters to launch scru.
Code:
"{eg.globals.miscPath}" "Z:\Movies Rename Temp"
Makes scru extract from the miscPath variable and dump the file into a temp folder of mine named Movies Rename Temp. Therenamer then runs on that folder to rename and move the content.
HTPC Specs:
95w 3 core AMD Phenom 8750 2.4GHz / MSI Media Live Diva 5.1 (MS-7411) Motherboard / On-board ATI Radeon HD3200 / On-board preamp 5.1 sound card / 4 x 1 terabyte sata segate 7200.12 / 8GB SDRAM / CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W / SILVERSTONE Media Center HTPC Case / 1080p 42" Dynex LCD \ 5.1 Polk Audio Surround Sound - RM6750

This all looks very nice, but I'm low on HD space and not bothered about having my downloads available the split-second they complete - I'd be happy to let them finish seeding so I don't end up with two copies of everything.

Are you aware of this? http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=10397&p=3
Global settings now in beta to run a program on completion/state change for torrents. Would that be helpful in your workflow?

Also wondered if you'd seen the following, in terms of removing completed torrents from uTorrent.
http://forum.xbmc.org/archive/index.php/t-54969.html
http://github.com/DivinityCycle/UnseenHand

Would also be keen to know which of the programs you used pulled the Window focus away from XBMC (I assume you tried all the various full screen modes) and what happened once they'd run and disappeared (did XBMC go back into full screen mode?) as that's the only benefit of VirtualBox that I'm interested in, but it seems to add an enormous layer of complexity to the whole operation.

I purposefully avoid releases which include RARs and, on the odd occasion where that's my only option, would be happy to give that download a custom label ('Manual Sort') and exclude it from this whole process.

I'd also really like to avoid using EMM with this setup as so far theRenamer and XBMC together have done fine and I loathe the junk it piles into your folders (I watch some of these files on another machine, just using Samba shares, so I see the extra files), in a similar way to the way you hate the mess of RARs.

Not trying to be critical - what I'm essentially saying is that I'm looking for the simplest execution of this that I can live with, as a starting point at least.

Would really welcome your thoughts.
After i read this thread i can only say nice work... Here is my thought do and dont take this the wrong way. From what i can understand it really looks like reinventing the wheel. From post #2 all of this can be achived with sabnzbd.

For exampel i have sabnzbd installed on my nas. It does everything described here and more. Eighter my main comp or my xbmc machine need to do anything. I had it upp running in 30min and it saves my alot of time and does everthing perfect. The scraping is done by xbmc ofc.

Im not saying that THIS IS THE SHIT.. Im only meaning, try it out. I dont think you will be disapointed
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
Thanks alex84. From what I've read on sabnzbd's site it is a python newsgroup downloader and uses nzb files. I would love sabnzbd if I could use all that functionality for torrents. Correct me if I'm wrong. I should state at the top of my main post that I use this for torrents.

From what I know there is nothing like sabnzbd for torrents.

After a little searching I just found a torrent client called deluge. It seams pretty amazing and it looks like a couple of my strict trackers do allow it. It looks like it's architecture is meant to make use of plugins for most of its functionality. There is an extractor plugin and folder watcher. Looks promising. I'll have to check it out and see if it has all the functionality I'm looking for.
HTPC Specs:

Hey Flook,

Hopefully you get time to reply to my post too Smile

I've been looking into this a bit more tonight and I'm thinking I could do something like this.

1. Add torrents to uTorrent. Apply labels of TV and Movies so these are moved to Downloads/TV and Downloads/Movies on completion. Avoid any releases with RARs, or siphon them off with labels so they get moved somewhere else and ignored by theRenamer - I can deal with them manually myself.
2. Whenever a torrent finishes seeding, run a batch file that runs both -fetch and -fetchmovie with theRenamer, pointing at the above folders and moving files to where my XBMC looks for them. Based on tests I've done so far, active torrents won't be moved, just those that have finished seeding.
3. Perhaps have the batch file also delete files that are under 100kb and over a week old, and also any empty folders, so the junk also gets removed over time.
4. Set XBMC to scan media folders on startup.

For 2, it's now possible to get uTorrent to run a program and pass it a number of variables, including the state it has just switched to and the torrent folder name. I'm wondering if it would be possible to write a .cmd file which you'd send the torrent state and folder name to, and using that info, when it received a "torrent complete" status, would move the relevant folder to where theRenamer looks for files, then runs theRenamer.

Can you see any problems with that setup?

And one thing I can't seem to get to work with theRenamer is for it to ignore Sample files that aren't stored in Sample folders.
Hey Bommy, I'm glad they're finally adding the ability to run a program after the download finishes. That was something I was dying for a long time ago.

The main reason I am running everything in a virtual machine is so that it doesn't interfere with the HTPC (including XBMC) at all. I think you will run into issues with XBMC window focus when running batch commands and an app like therenamer via command line. I don't remember what specific things or apps took focus away though. Might not be a problem with just a couple things going on.

I'm pretty sure I've had issues in the past with therenamer taking the files once in a while that were still seeding. Maybe the file wasn't being accessed for a while and therenamer took it.

The other thing is that therenamer will keep running with every new download and each time it will copy the files that have already finished but are still seeding. It will keep overwriting the ones it did already and I'm not sure what it will do if you are currently watching the file it is trying to overwrite. Might only be a small problem and maybe not one at all.

Other than that I think it should work fine for that. That was how this all started. I just wanted to have my files named properly and have library data automatically. You don't need ember but I like it a lot. You could have therenamer put each movie into its own folder and ember would then store the files in each folder. Would make the main directory much smaller. A big reason for ember is if you ever need to rescrape a large library. Takes less time and is always accurate.

If I were you I probably would your setup in a virtual pc. Makes life easier in the long run and it's nice to remote into the virtual pc via a laptop or smartphone.

ps. also take a look at that deluge app I mentioned a post ago. http://deluge-torrent.org/. Looks like it will easily do what you want and even unrar files for you.
HTPC Specs:

Thanks very much.

I'm going to initially ignore your very wise advice about the virtual machine and see if I can get away with it - if I then end up with focus problems I'll transfer it all into there, but I think using the below I've cracked how to stop theRenamer touching anything that's not finished both downloading and seeding, and also perhaps bumping into the same files more than once.

I've set up a file for now - C:/test.cmd, which contains the following. I've also created a shortcut to this - C:/test.lnk - and in the properties of that I've set it to run minimized (you can't do that to the .cmd file itself so you have to do it via a shortcut's properties, but the shortcut will pass all the parameters that uTorrent generates).

Quote:echo Folder:%1 >> C:\Users\Bommy\Desktop\test.txt
echo Name:%2 >> C:\Users\Bommy\Desktop\test.txt
echo Label:%3 >> C:\Users\Bommy\Desktop\test.txt
echo Status:%4 >> C:\Users\Bommy\Desktop\test.txt
exit

On status change, uTorrent runs this.
Quote:C:\test.lnk "%D" "%N" "%L" "%M"

If I open my test.txt file, I find entries like this.
Quote:Folder:"E:\Torrents\[Downloading]\Mad.Men.S04E08.720p.HDTV.x264-CTU"
Name:"Mad.Men.S04E08.720p.HDTV.x264-CTU"
Label:"TV\Mad Men"

Folder:"E:\Torrents\[Downloading]\Mad.Men.S04E08.720p.HDTV.x264-CTU"

Folder:"E:\Torrents\TV\Mad Men\Mad.Men.S04E08.720p.HDTV.x264-CTU"
(in this last status, the files have already been moved by my label-based rule to move files on download completion)

I need to do a bit of brushing up on my batch file skills but I'm assuming that instead of writing to a text file, my batch file could instead listen out for a status of "Finished" and, when seeing that, move the contents of the folder to...

Quote:\Downloads\Complete\[LABEL]\[TORRENT-NAME]
e.g.
\Downloads\Complete\TV\Mad Men\Mad.Men.S04E08.720p.HDTV.x264-CTU

The above is my only concern - can a cmd file deal with conditionals?

Now when theRenamer (run at the end of this process) goes and looks in Downloads\Complete\TV, it'll find only complete, seeded torrents. I think?! Smile

Alternatively, I could get it to run theRenamer just pointing at the completed download folder for the fetch directory, and using the label to determine whether -fetch or -fetchmovie is executed. That might be the better option so that, even if two torrents finish within moments of each other, the simultaneous processes should be kept separate from one another.

Will test this out and post back my progress but would also be delighted if anyone wanted to contribute feedback. I've not seen a single window pop up during any of this so far though! Will also look at Deluge.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Finished TV and Movie Automation in a Virtual Machine1