• 7(current)
Finished TV and Movie Automation in a Virtual Machine
defluo Wrote:If couchpotato could produce a better nfo and provide extrathumbs and extrafanart I'd be set

There's an extrafanart downloader script in the repos for both dharma and eden, you should try it out. We've also added support for extrathumbs recently.

If you have any problems you can ask here Smile
Flook Wrote:I've spent the last year slowly trying to perfect an automated system to download, unpack, rename, move, scrape library data, and delete random files and empty folders for TORRENTS. I think I've finally got it and it's all running in Windows 7 x86 Virtual Machine using Virtualbox. That means I never have to redo the automation pro....

Great post Flook, thanks for contributing your ideas. I was inspired by this and set up a dedicated VirtualBox server on my HTPC to do all torrent downloading and file management, among other things.

I think you are making the file management a little bit harder than what is strictly necessary though. I just have uTorrent run a batch script I made when a torrent finishes, and the files end up where I want them. I have another script to delete torrent data that has reached the seeding goal.
For more info look here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=110024
Thanks Axman. Yea the file management was a killer. All works great now but is a lot to setup and relies on a few extra programs.

I'll have to take a closer look at the batch script you made. It looks great! The only thing I don't think it deals with is renaming shows and movies. I might have to try and implement it to copy the shows or movies to a temp directory where therenamer runs and properly names and sorts. It could at least bypass Belvedere for me. We will see.
HTPC Specs:
95w 3 core AMD Phenom 8750 2.4GHz / MSI Media Live Diva 5.1 (MS-7411) Motherboard / On-board ATI Radeon HD3200 / On-board preamp 5.1 sound card / 4 x 1 terabyte sata segate 7200.12 / 8GB SDRAM / CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W / SILVERSTONE Media Center HTPC Case / 1080p 42" Dynex LCD \ 5.1 Polk Audio Surround Sound - RM6750

Details of my fully automated, virtual Windows 7, HTPC setup here
Flook Wrote:Thanks Axman. Yea the file management was a killer. All works great now but is a lot to setup and relies on a few extra programs.

I'll have to take a closer look at the batch script you made. It looks great! The only thing I don't think it deals with is renaming shows and movies. I might have to try and implement it to copy the shows or movies to a temp directory where therenamer runs and properly names and sorts. It could at least bypass Belvedere for me. We will see.

Yeah you're right, I am missing the renaming part, and I'd like to add that in the future. I havent tried it, but I see that Filebot CLI could work well in a script to handle renaming..
What advantage does this setup offer over sickbeard/couchpotato/sabnzbd? Seems like re-inventing the wheel...
@vinistois
The main thing is that this is for torrents. This is robust, yet complicated, wheel for torrents. Most people use just parts of this setup to help with their automation and not the whole thing.

The other thing is that I wrote this almost two years ago and it's still one of the only hidden and fully automated setups for torrents. For some reason there has been very little progress in the automation of torrents with an HTPC. I don't keep up with the latest and greatest since I never have to touch my setup anymore. Here and there I here little bits of new things in this thread, but still not much. It seams like the sickbeard/couchpotato/sabnzbd apps are slowly integrating limited torrent compatibility but still nothing to speak of.

Couchpotato only supports one torrent tracker and that makes it useless. Sickbeard now supports one good TV tracker which is good and usable. Quote from the sabnzbd site: "SABnzbd is an Open Source Binary Newsreader" Newsreader, not for torrents. Still nothing to really get you going for torrents with these apps.
HTPC Specs:
95w 3 core AMD Phenom 8750 2.4GHz / MSI Media Live Diva 5.1 (MS-7411) Motherboard / On-board ATI Radeon HD3200 / On-board preamp 5.1 sound card / 4 x 1 terabyte sata segate 7200.12 / 8GB SDRAM / CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W / SILVERSTONE Media Center HTPC Case / 1080p 42" Dynex LCD \ 5.1 Polk Audio Surround Sound - RM6750

sure but, why use torrents when there is usenet. releases are made to usenet. People download them, and upload them as torrents. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure someone will make use of this and appreciate the effort. I like the idea of it being in a virtual machine, which makes it share-able. I would like to do the same thing but with the python/usenet approach, as a system image. So that when I build systems for my friends, I don't have to spend hours installing everything and setting it up, I can just load the image.

Anyways, not meaning to rain on your parade, carry on!
lol no big deal. Usually it's due to torrents being free. From what I understand, you usually have to pay some sort of fee to use newsgroups. Not that it's that bad of a fee, but it's one nonetheless.
HTPC Specs:

Hi Flook,

I've been looking at ways to automate my XBMC - I have come across this thread.

I wonder if you could share what folders you have set up to - as I would like to give your idea a try.

The main part I am struggling with is separating Movies and TV shows once utorrent has finished downloading.

Cheers,
In utorrent you just use labels. Movie, TV, Apps, Misc, Music labels. If you label your torrents and set utorrent to append the torrent's label to the download directory then it puts them in separate folders based on the label names.

I then use eventghost to monitor each folder and have it run a set of macros when it detects a new TV show or Movie.
HTPC Specs:

Thought I'd post this useful link just in case anyone is reading this thread and might find it useful, because it's on the same subject: http://lifehacker.com/5475649/set-up-a-f...dia-center.

Credit to the OP because that's a really annoying problem you have tackled and you've put a lot of work into it.

Personally I used the lifehacker article because I found it first ( I only found this thread as i was almost finished following lifehacker instructions).

NB I didn't use the Ember Media Manager to scrape (fanart, synopsis, dvd covers etc) because I couldn't get it installed. So I just followed the rest of the instructions and xbmc does my scraping. I only watch a tiny handful of tv series so i dont really need a dedicated sraper programme.
Thanks for the guide. I've been looking to add email notifications to my set up for a while!

Are you still using the same Python Script for parsing the file name for your TV Shows?

I've made a small update which removes the full stops from the file name and replaces it with a space. I find this is makes the email notification a bit tidier.

Code:
from os import path
fp = eg.event.payload[0]
head, tail = path.split(fp)
name, ext = path.splitext(tail)
eg.result  = "New Episode of %s" % name
eg.globals.testVar = eg.result.replace (".", " ")
Thanks ijoshea. I'll try that out.

I'm still using the same setup and I love it. I just wish lifehacker would update their belvedere app more frequently. For the most part everything works great but when I do run into a hiccup it is due to issues in belvedere. Pretty buggy guy.

I'm running with Android now on my Galaxy Note 2 (Love this phone) and there are a couple apps that work great with everything.

1. Yaste Remote - great XBMC remote and widget. I get a call and my movie pauses. Notifications can even pop up in XBMC.
2. Remote Launcher - use it to launch any program on my HTPC from my phone, including XBMC. Can link it with tasker and have your HTPC wake up and launch XBMC when you walk in the door of your home. Too cool.
HTPC Specs:

• 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Finished TV and Movie Automation in a Virtual Machine1