Making a touch screen skin (whats it need)
REI51 Wrote:Jezz_x screen shots look good.

I would agree with a larger scroll bar and be careful with getting buttons too close to one another. However, I have the acer t230h which is a 21" touchscreen running at 1080p so small buttons don't bother me as much (they aren't so small with a 21" touchscreen).

One thing I like about the virtualhours touch! skin is the accessibility of information on the homepage. For instance, its nice to have the weather forecast for the day and the week as I walk out the door. It might be nice to implement the weather forecast plugin which changes the backdrop to match the weather outside. Just a thought.

Just look out the fooking window or do what I do, go out the door, get soaking wet or cold and then think, oh shit I need a jacket.

Sorry I really cannot see why people are so obsessed with having the weather on a bloody computer for.

I have never bothered with the weather plug in for skins once, the most fun I have had with the weather is with the Nintendo Wii, where I could rotate the World, and goto different locations zoom in and find what the weather is in another Country.

Sorry rant and even more sly bump over Wink
I'm not a newbie. I always act this dumb.

Home Cinema Setup
-------------------
37 inch TV - Intel I3 530 @ 2.9GHZ - 4 Gig Memory - Silverstone home cinema case (silver)
I've been sniffing xbmc for in-car use for a while and for car use I have the following suggestions:

* Easy to reach and push ATT button (lowers volume to a minimum)
* Two actions per song (for music), "play now" and "queue".
* Playlist "folder" at bottom of screen (a button that when you click it rolls up and contains your current playlist)

And if I can dream on...
* Ability to embed other objects (for gps/webbrowser)
* GPS status readout (heading, speed etc)

And I saw someone mention controlling other xbmc instances. Would be nice to play something else on my kids screen, could hook up a cheap xbox1 to it or something.

Christian...
Like someone mentioned - there is also som functionallity in xbmc that needs changing. Tabbing on the screen when playing a dvd - cant pause the playback. It also disables the ability to do any selections in the dvd menu....making it unusable for touchscreens.

You basically do not want to have a mouse/remote or keyboard nearby to get you out of trouble.
dvd playback and mouse input stuff is kind of hard coded pretty sure not a lot I can do about that other than poke the devs to change/fix it

I have a question for people with touch screens and xbmc.

Is it actually possible to focus an item in the lists without actually clicking it and playing it ? I have come across a way of adding queue, information, context menu buttons to lists for normal clicking but it relies on the ability to focus and item before its actually played.
With a mouse this is easy because the cursor moves by itself I would imagine with a touchscreen the "mouse" doesn't interact unless your finger is actually touching the screen which is probably a click if you touch a list item ?
Touch and release (while not moving outside a small circle centered on the first touch) is a click.

Touch and move outside that small circle is not a click, and is equivalent to moving the mouse.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I upgraded to a nightly build past 28798, the gesture support works great for list panning on windows 7. So would be great to have a option to disable seeing the scroll bar once its fully implemented.

As far as your question above, as jmarshall mentioned, a slight side swipe will focus and not click.

For DVD playpack is it possible to add a button for DVD select / enter (whatever will activate)? An interim fix, but would allow you to at least start the DVD (most dvd menus start with play DVD as highlighted). I guess stopping the movie would be equally as challenging. Just a thought.
Jezz_X Wrote:I have a question for people with touch screens and xbmc.

Is it actually possible to focus an item in the lists without actually clicking it and playing it ?

NO Jezz_X ! (marking ore focusing is not easy possible).

with a minimal Trick Yes. If i standing more than 3 sec. on the position it´s opening the Contextmenu and i can close it with the "X" - Button Image. Now the File in the List Menu is now focused.

Big Grin I've inspired you
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70366

I need a Progressbar at the PlayerControls Window, but it don´t work. Why ?

greetz djtoll
Skin.JOGGLER
----------------------------------
Download - djtoll's Add-On Repository / Add-Ons > Install from ZIP / Get Add-ons > Djtoll's Repository
Jezz, I'm not sure if your familiar with XLobby but, it has intuitive skins for touchscreen users. Maybe more ideas could be extracted from that.

To put my 2 cents in (mostly ideas for music)

- I think it was mentioned but, I would definitely like to see a view in music that has the "Play," "Queue," and "Playlist control status" buttons next to each track. That would make playing and queuing up music very quick.

- Something similar as above for now playing or a playlist. Next to each track there could be an "arrow up," "arrow down," and an "X" for delete.

- In the fullscreen view it would be neat if you could not only show the album cover of the currently playing track but, also the album cover of the next track to be played. And to further that idea, make those album covers "clickable" meaning that if you touch or click the cover it would take you directly to the corresponding album.

- Alternate options to navigate: Instead of a scrollbar could an option for a jog dial or arrow up and arrow down buttons be used if desired.

From the looks of your screenshots the skin is showing a lot of promise. Can't wait until the finished product arrives.
Have to say xLobby looks fantastic and hopefully this skin can be better than that.

It is a shame that you cannot buy xLobby software, as personally I would have brought it straight away if at a reasonable price.

I know that there is a mod that lets you use a basic screen on your touchscreen, then outputs to another monitor or TV.

But really you want the main program on the touchscreen in full, and output to a second screen.

Ok some people might only have a monitor and want to view it on that, but chances are most people will have it hooked up to a TV.
I'm not a newbie. I always act this dumb.

Home Cinema Setup
-------------------
37 inch TV - Intel I3 530 @ 2.9GHZ - 4 Gig Memory - Silverstone home cinema case (silver)
I cannot believe i have missed this thread.

Anyway, like others i have been using one of my XBMC installs for touch only use for ~6 months or so , mainly as a music jukebox that sits in the living room (MSI windtop 19' touch screen).

Regarding the below comments

needtotest Wrote:Tabbing on the screen when playing a dvd - cant pause the playback. It also disables the ability to do any selections in the dvd menu....making it unusable for touchscreens.

Jezz_X Wrote:dvd playback and mouse input stuff is kind of hard coded pretty sure not a lot I can do about that other than poke the devs to change/fix it

LoloMc² Wrote:-make sure that pressing the screen will not pause the playing song/video Please see here

I have submitted a patch for this, though i don't believe it was ever accepted. It runs perfectly on my touchscreen running a version of xbmc compiled with this change.

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69937 and http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8742
Marbieskarb Wrote:J
- Something similar as above for now playing or a playlist. Next to each track there could be an "arrow up," "arrow down," and an "X" for delete.

something similar is done in the HTPC app "Mediaportal" , here is a pic of their music playlist editor.. It does the job nicely for touchscreen users..

Jezz_X Wrote:Well since some nice ideas have come as promised here are some screen shots of the test/ideas I have done allready

Looks great Jezz X. I am glad someone is taking a step towards to another touch focussed skin.

One suggestion, it would be nice to see pageup/pagedown arrows at either end of the scrollbars. The scrollbar area resizes proportionality based on the number of pages/items. With large collections it becomes very cumbersome to simply scroll one page at a time, due to the size of the scrollbar marker (thus triggering fat finger syndrome).

thanks!
jw76 Wrote:something similar is done in the HTPC app "Mediaportal" , here is a pic of their music playlist editor.. It does the job nicely for touchscreen users..

I've also took an idea from a pocket pc media program that seems pretty cool to implement in the now playing/playlist.

jw76 Wrote:Looks great Jezz X. I am glad someone is taking a step towards to another touch focussed skin.

One suggestion, it would be nice to see pageup/pagedown arrows at either end of the scrollbars. The scrollbar area resizes proportionality based on the number of pages/items. With large collections it becomes very cumbersome to simply scroll one page at a time, due to the size of the scrollbar marker (thus triggering fat finger syndrome).

thanks!

After I actually posted this I worked a little on the scrollbar and added "Home" and "End" buttons to it and made it wider and further away from the main icons. As for going one page at a time it is my understanding that jmarshall has added the touch & swipe scrolling to these sort of thing so its easy to just go 1 page at a time if the scrollbar is too small

Jezz,
This is looking nice. When you want someone to test let me know, I have a 22" multi-touch I can test with.

Also, this going to be both touch and remote compatible?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Making a touch screen skin (whats it need)1