[LIVE] slow access to SMB folder??!
Hi all,

I have an ACER 3600 ION with dual boot win7 and LIVE XBMC instlled to HDD.
All worked fine and was perfect (almost instant) when all movie files were on a networked PC.

However since I've transferred all movies to a NAS (Freecom Network Drive 1TB) things have gone horribly slow when navigating to the folder?!

My setup is as follows:-

SMB share setup on a NAS called VIDEO_01 the shared folder is PUBLIC/VIDEO. When browsing or adding it as source I get perfect navigation speed to //VIDEO_01/PUBLIC but as soon as select the VIDEO folder BAM!
1.5mins later the folder is accessed.

If you try this on a PC it is instantaneous.

I get exactly the same issue (a different HDD but same model) with my music but, as I have more files there the time taken to access the music folder is about 10mins!

Any help would be nice as I can see this is only going to get worse the more files I add.

I have tried adding the source with all the servername and folder info but no joy there (side effect is I now have lots of shares in network choice, that I can't seem to get rid of now?)
Also checked drive is not sleeping as this happens everytime.

Thanks in advance,

Fliposide.
I had a similar problem.

When I clicked on a certain folder took minutes to open.

I was also led down the wrong path as that folder contains all the wifes asian filename videos. However the problem is due to the fact that folder probably has alot of rar/zip files in it.

Reading the log helps which can be found
/home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

While its happening ssh in (using putty from windows) from another pc or another console window (ctrl-alt-F2) and type
tail -f /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

I really don't like this behaviour by default in xbmc, it should not read the rar files etc until asked to do so. On low end cpus like the ion it really can't cope.

To disable create this file

nano /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

enter the following

<advancedsettings>
<videoextensions>
<remove>.rar|.zip</remove>
</videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

save restart xbmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] slow access to SMB folder??!0