Which PVR backend is the best/most stable
Hello.

Is there a consensus which pvr backend will work the best with xbmc?

I currently have a dvb-s mythtv backend, which is working quite well. Mythtv has support for the freesat epg, however it was difficult to setup and has many dependencies.

I tried Tvheadend for a while I found it quite unstable (the web interface kept locking up), and I could not get the dvb-s epg working. However it was very easy to install compared to mythtv.

I havent tried VDR yet mainly because i cant find any current install guides.

What are your views on the different backends?
VDR is the most stable for me, been using it a while now and also tested tvheadend but there is issues with AAC audio on some channels when using that.

Install from PPA's is fairly straight forward for VDR plus you can use the eepg plugin for your dvb-s epg.
I'm still on the lookout for a PPA that has 1.7.13 / 1.7.14 for Karmic though..
vdr-1.7.10:
https://launchpad.net/~the-vdr-team/+arc...ntu-karmic
use this in addition for vdr-1.7.14 :
https://launchpad.net/~the-vdr-team/+arc...le-plugins
Does VDR support the HDhomerun?
http://www.fepg.org/hdhomerun/
That narrows my selection down to VDR or Mythtv for the back end.

Can anyone point out the differences?
there currently is no mythtv backend for it so unless your programming your own backend for xbmc then that brings you down to VDR
SO, other then the obvious 'there is no XBMC plugin for Myth yet' are there compelling reasons to switch to VDR from Myth?

I've been a (mostly) happy user of MythTV for over a year now. I enjoy the backend capabilities, mythcomflag & mythweb are huge for me... I'm rather annoyed by some of it's idiosyncrasies (confuses itself on daylight savings change, configuration is a pita, etc).

If, in a magical future, myth & vdr where equally supported by XBMC, why would you chose one over the other (I'm in the same boat, needing HDHR support from my backend & NTSC would be nice too).

-Rupert
Jezz_X Wrote:there currently is no mythtv backend for it so unless your programming your own backend for xbmc then that brings you down to VDR

Sorry to pop in but am I right in thinking that this means if I want to keep my MythTV backend (I presently have mythtv frontend and xbmc on a revo with mythtv backend / samba / the rest on a big ubuntu beast doing the rest) I need to either use mythbox plugin or stick with myth front end.

If I want to centralise I have to migrate the backend box from myth to VDR Confused

Shame if so I like the robustness of the backend, transcoding and mythweb but the frontend (apart from the actual playback of the video) is stuck 5 years in the past.

I'd get involved in coding myself but with two jobs on the go as it is my delivered work would be so far behind schedule it wouldn't be funny
Jezz_X Wrote:there currently is no mythtv backend for it so unless your programming your own backend for xbmc then that brings you down to VDR

Huh
http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap

"Added support for a MythTV PVR backend client (can run over a local network)"
^^^ bollocks - somebody's been naughty using it for stuff we want to add, not stuff we have added.
That's good to know. I'm in process of building a server that will have a VM for my PVR backend. It would have been a bummer to get mythtv installed and then find out it wasn't supported.

I guess this means support for a Mythtv backend is planned but may not make the release.
spiff Wrote:^^^ bollocks - somebody's been naughty using it for stuff we want to add, not stuff we have added.
Indeed and it annoys the crap out of me and I have no permission to be able to edit it and remove it in fact the whole PVR section should be removed because its not going to make the next release
So no PVR in 10.05? Shocked

I'm on this forum several times a day and I was merrily going along thinking 10.05 would be my PVR Nirvana.
Damn, Im in the same boat here. i am going to my mates tomorrow for a 'pvr party' setting up new media center. I have been telling him to put it off and wait for the new release of xbmc and do a fresh install of everything. oops!

looks like it will be another mythtv setup then.
All Things PVR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which PVR backend is the best/most stable0