Which PVR backend is the best/most stable
I took a look at VDR - it doesn't skip commercials which I really want (though it really doesn't matter if VDR isn't supported in the next release).

Is there a way to put a link on the front or videos menu that will start MythTV?
if you want to run it you can always compile the branch yourself and use it but with only just over 1 month to go until 10.5 is supposed to be out I seriously doubt anyone is going to have time to merge it all back in and bug check the crap out of it to a standard it can be considered for the "stable" releases
@TugboatBill
it could be interesting for you :
yavdr.de
hotzenplotz5 - thank you!
hotzenplotz5 Wrote:vdr-1.7.10:
https://launchpad.net/~the-vdr-team/+arc...ntu-karmic
use this in addition for vdr-1.7.14 :
https://launchpad.net/~the-vdr-team/+arc...le-plugins

Thanks hotzenplotz, without wanting to take this too OT - is the eepg plugin no longer required for 1.7.14 ? It doesn't seem to be there in the list of built plugins for the unstable version Huh
Quote:is the eepg plugin no longer required for 1.7.14

i never used it ? but the problem is, the plugin doesnt compile with vdr-1.7.14
when there is a "new" version or a patch, i will upload it to the vdr-1.7.14 repo
dubstar_04 Wrote:Damn, Im in the same boat here. i am going to my mates tomorrow for a 'pvr party' setting up new media center. I have been telling him to put it off and wait for the new release of xbmc and do a fresh install of everything. oops!

looks like it will be another mythtv setup then.

yip i pretty much had the same thing planned too. :-(
hotzenplotz5 Wrote:i never used it ? but the problem is, the plugin doesnt compile with vdr-1.7.14
when there is a "new" version or a patch, i will upload it to the vdr-1.7.14 repo

Ah I see.. that would explain why I couldn't get it to build then Wink
Thanks.
Several short comments:
I would recommend using vdr 1.7.10 for now. 1.7.14 does segfault for me and some other people i know. I'm still trying to nail down what we're doing in common but haven't found out yet. There is no huge feature that's missing in vdr 1.7.10 and when you're new to vdr you shouldn't start with a headbanger Wink

On some note here someone mentioned that vdr is not able to skip commercials, thats partially wrong. There are two competing plugins or extensions easily intergrateable to vdr called markad and noad which are able to scan records for commercials and put cut marks into them. You're able to jump between the marks with your remote and move them, some more keys and vdr puts out a final cutted recording.

Someone also mentioned the possibility to do transcoding with mythtv. vdr has the yacoto and burn extensions. both aren't absolutely perfect but they might do what you want.

Another post mentioned the myth web frontend. You can get a easy and nice web frontend vor vdr by installing either the live plugin, vdradmin-am or the xxv plugin.

As a last thing someone also mentioned the myth frontend beeing a relict from 5 years in the past. That's mostly true for vdr, too. vdr was originally designed for use with dvb full featured cards which produce their own video out signal and have very limited capabilities for an osd. This changed to quite some extent in the near past, but it's still not up to par to the beauty of xbmc.

vdr integrates nicely into xbmc in the current state of the xbmc pvr-testing2 branch. You can't get everything out of the vdr features from xbmc but that's the same for every tv backend right now. It's worth giving it a try.

Good Luck Wink
Hibbelharry
And you can have live tv stream & recording from vdr and video+audio files streaming directly to your iPhone with this php script i've made Rolleyes :

http://projects.vdr-developer.org/wiki/istreamdev
TugboatBill Wrote:I took a look at VDR - it doesn't skip commercials which I really want (though it really doesn't matter if VDR isn't supported in the next release).

Is there a way to put a link on the front or videos menu that will start MythTV?

Is a script good enough for you? This can be fairly easy to launch from the main menu. The idea for this is copped from someone else, can't remember who, I just modified it a bit to suit me.

1) Create a folder ~/.xbmc/scripts/My Scripts/mythtvscript
2) Create a file called default.py in that folder with the following contents:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
import os
import xbmc

#Launch MythTV from XBMC

cmd = 'mythfrontend %F > /tmp/mythfrontend.log 2>&1'

xbmc.executebuiltin("LIRC.Stop")
xbmc.executebuiltin("LCD.Suspend")
xbmc.executebuiltin("Action(pause)")
os.system(cmd)
xbmc.executebuiltin("LIRC.Start")
xbmc.executebuiltin("LCD.Resume")
xbmc.executebuiltin("Action(pause)")

3) You can delete the corresponding xbmc.executebuiltin calls from the script if you don't use a remote, don't have a mini LCD/VFD or don't want to pause respectively.
4) Optional - set the script as one of your favorites or on the main screen if your skin supports doing so.
Thanks. I'll try this as soon as I have the backend server up and running.
vdr-plugin-markad - Plugin for VDR to mark advertisements in recordings
vdr-addon-noad - VDR-Addon to automatically mark advertisements

youre choice Rofl
vdr-plugin-eepg is available now for VDR 1.7.14 from the PPA.
rupert Wrote:If, in a magical future, myth & vdr where equally supported by XBMC, why would you chose one over the other (I'm in the same boat, needing HDHR support from my backend & NTSC would be nice too).
Having recently been down the road of running up pvr-testing2 against the current linux backends - VDR and TVHeadend, and being a long-time Myth user, I'll offer my opinions:

VDR
  • Overly complicated and convoluted (though flexible) to install/configure
  • Most functionality to make it useful is provided by 3rd party plugins
  • Scheduling extremely weak compared to Myth
  • Basic conflict resolution
  • Commercial flagging via plugins, weak vs Myth
  • As an English speaker, documentation is thin to non-existent for many components (German available)

TVHeadend
  • Brilliant configuration via built-in web interface, easiest PVR setup I've experienced
  • Scheduling extremely weak compared to Myth
  • No/minimal conflict resolution
  • No commercial flagging

Myth
  • Complicated initial configuration
  • Light years ahead on scheduling/expiration/conflict-resolution rules
  • Multiple recordings on single multiplex
  • Best commercial flagging

For me, I think I'll deal with TVHeadend for now, weak though it is, but neither VDR, nor TVHeadend are a long-term solution for me. Having looked at them both, it is abundantly clear to me just how good a PVR Myth is, and I'm seriously considering investing some time in getting the pvr.myth addon started.

Does anyone know if there's been any initial work on this, design or otherwise? I'd prefer not to start from scratch and work at cross-purposes with anything anyone's already done.

Where's the best documentation on the pvr API, or is that the code?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which PVR backend is the best/most stable0