• 4(current)
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS
MrDVD Wrote:For me the serverside image cache works also without any speed problems. .

Yes... please do explain this Smile
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration
I'm finally home, so I've tested both options: central networked cache and running xbmc from the server on all the clients.

My setup: 1 server running win2008r2 and mysql server, 4 clients running win7, cabled gigabit network

Here's the results I got:
-Central Network Shared Cache: It does work, but in my trial it takes thrice the time of XBMC using a local cache to load the movie list screen. So (as expected) it works but it's noticeable slower, at least in my case.

-Running XBMC directly from the server: it works when running from only one client, if I try to run a second instance it doesn't even open the welcome screen...
Am I missing something?
Hallo, my server is linux based and my xbmc clients also. (both on Ubuntu 9.10)

The image cache, mysql and all media are on the server.
Each clients run there own xbmc but the Thumbnails folder is on the server and only linked to the default folder on the clients.

The server itself run also an xbmc.

Total i run 3 clients and cant see any diff from the speed. (local / remote Thumbnails folder)

Now i cant wait for new funktions like "follow me" or something like this Smile

Edit:

A simple sql command inside mysql:
Code:
SELECT * FROM `episode` LIMIT 0 , 10000
Code:
Showing rows 0 - 9545 (9,546 total, Query took 0.2965 sec)

When i run the same command inside an SQLite Manager it takes ~ 3-4 sec.
Thumbs Up 
MrDVD Wrote:Hallo, my server is linux based and my xbmc clients also. (both on Ubuntu 9.10)

The image cache, mysql and all media are on the server.
Each clients run there own xbmc but the Thumbnails folder is on the server and only linked to the default folder on the clients.

The server itself run also an xbmc.

Total i run 3 clients and cant see any diff from the speed. (local / remote Thumbnails folder)

Now i cant wait for new funktions like "follow me" or something like this Smile

Thanks for your reply
I understood that you were running XBMC from the server as RenZ0R suggested...

Regarding the speed of the GUI while using a common networked cache, have you compared both options (local vs. networked cache) from the same XBMC instance and you didn't find any difference in response times?

The good news is that if you are running MySQL as the central db server for XBMC you already have the "follow me" functionality, because the position where you stop watching a video is stored in the db, so you can recover that position from any XBMC client accesing the MySQL db. Smile
Cheers!
MrDVD Wrote:Edit:
A simple sql command inside mysql:
Code:
SELECT * FROM `episode` LIMIT 0 , 10000
Code:
Showing rows 0 - 9545 (9,546 total, Query took 0.2965 sec)
When i run the same command inside an SQLite Manager it takes ~ 3-4 sec.
The query you've presented here meassures the access times to the database not access times to the image cache.
Have you compared the access times to the image cache local vs networked?
charrua Wrote:Here's the results I got:
-Central Network Shared Cache: It does work, but in my trial it takes thrice the time of XBMC using a local cache to load the movie list screen. So (as expected) it works but it's noticeable slower, at least in my case.
?
How did you set up the folder redirection for the central shared cache?
bradvido88 Wrote:How did you set up the folder redirection for the central shared cache?
First I copied the thumbnails folder inside userdata to the server, then I shared that path from the server, renamed the thumbnails folder inside userdata folder in the client machine to thumbnails.old (to avoid its deletion) and finally made a NTFS directory symbolic link pointing to the shared folder in my server with the command:
Code:
[b]mklink /D[/b] thumbnails [i]//SERVER_ADDRESS/shared_thumbnails_folder[/i]
If you try it, please let me know if in your case it is also noticeable slower than the local cache. Anyway is not a bad option until the new cache system is in place.
charrua Wrote:Thanks for your reply
I understood that you were running XBMC from the server as RenZ0R suggested...
No, each client have his own xbmc install.
MrDVD,

when you said:
Quote:The image cache, mysql and all media are on the server.
you were referring to a LINUX environment.

In a WINDOWS environment, Where in XBMC do you create this LINK to the server thumbnails folder ON the SERVER Huh

So far, as charrua said at the beginning, in XBMC you have ONLY to modify the ADVANCEDSETTINGS.XML like this:
Code:
<videodatabase>
  <type>mysql</type>
  <host>localhost</host>
  <port>3306</port>
  <user>xbmc</user>
  <pass>xbmc</pass>
  <name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>

Huh Huh Huh
rtrimarchi Wrote:MrDVD,
when you said:
you were referring to a LINUX environment.
In a WINDOWS environment, Where in XBMC do you create this LINK to the server thumbnails folder ON the SERVER
So far, as charrua said at the beginning, in XBMC you have ONLY to modify the ADVANCEDSETTINGS.XML like this:
Code:
<videodatabase>
  <type>mysql</type>
  <host>localhost</host>
  <port>3306</port>
  <user>xbmc</user>
  <pass>xbmc</pass>
  <name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>
rtrimarchi, that is correct for the library database connection (also valid for linux environments), but MrDVD is trying to solve the thumbnail cache problem: XBMC clients connecting to a central MySQL database don't regenerate thumbnails for new media scraped by other XBMC clients storing info in the same database.
He is using a folder on his server to store the thumbnail cache, and then he shared it on his network and mapped the local thumbnail cache folder on each machine running XBMC to the one shared from his server. And IMHO is a fine temporary solution until a new and improved image cache system is in place, the biggest problem with his solution is that (at least in my case) performance of the XBMC GUI slows down noticeable when using the networked cache vs. the local one. If you want you can try it and see if it works for you and it's fast enough for what you need.
Charrua,

since I wanna give it a try .......

where in XBMC should I change the path from local "thumbnail" folder to the remote "thumbnail folder" Huh

I mean which configuration file tells XBMC the location where to store the thumbnails Huh

Of course I should replace it with the remote path \\server address\shared name ..... right Huh

Also.... if I understand correctly......the two solution (mysql + remote thumbnails) can be BOTH done simultaneously ... right Huh
I cant say it for windows but i think it works like charrua posted it here, just copy the tumbnail folder from on of your clients to an server and link the folder from your server back to the client.

If you dont like the remote rsync folder try something like this rsync im sure there is also something like this for windows.
charrua Wrote:First I copied the thumbnails folder inside userdata to the server, then I shared that path from the server, renamed the thumbnails folder inside userdata folder in the client machine to thumbnails.old (to avoid its deletion) and finally made a NTFS directory symbolic link pointing to the shared folder in my server with the command:
Code:
[b]mklink /D[/b] thumbnails [i]//SERVER_ADDRESS/shared_thumbnails_folder[/i]
If you try it, please let me know if in your case it is also noticeable slower than the local cache. Anyway is not a bad option until the new cache system is in place.

Perfect! I'll try that and report back about speed.
But instead of creating a symbolic link with mklink, isn't there an .xml file in XBMC where we can modify this local path with the remote one Huh
rtrimarchi Wrote:Also.... if I understand correctly......the two solution (mysql + remote thumbnails) can be BOTH done simultaneously ... right
Yes, you're right.

rtrimarchi Wrote:But instead of creating a symbolic link with mklink, isn't there an .xml file in XBMC where we can modify this local path with the remote one
Not that I know of...
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS7