• 7(current)
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS
bradvido88 Wrote:I'm finally trying the symlinks for shared thumbnail folders... however one of my xbmc machines is windows XP...

Anyone know if it's possible to create a symlink/juntion to a network share in windows XP?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin...96768.aspx
or
http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm
charrua Wrote:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin...96768.aspx
or
http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

Tried them both. They work for local targets but fail for network share targets. Mapping a drive didn't help either
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration
charrua Wrote:(you don't need to create the database, XBMC will create it for you the first time you run it after modifying the advancedsettings.xml).
I'm using the nightly build 28256.

I seem to be missing something here. XBMC never creates the databases for me, instead I get a ton of the following errors.

Code:
20:09:14 T:4872 M:1919246336   ERROR: Unable to open database:xbmc_video (0)
20:09:14 T:4872 M:1919246336   ERROR: Unable to open database at host: localhost db: xbmc_video (old version?)

And, if I create the databases myself it seems to miss creating some of the tables and it never saves the content type when I create or edit the sources.

Any idea what's going wrong?
bradvido88 Wrote:Tried them both. They work for local targets but fail for network share targets. Mapping a drive didn't help either

Try this one: http://www.pearlmagik.com/winbolic/
pkellum Wrote:I'm using the nightly build 28256.

I seem to be missing something here. XBMC never creates the databases for me, instead I get a ton of the following errors.

Code:
20:09:14 T:4872 M:1919246336   ERROR: Unable to open database at host: localhost db: xbmc_video (old version?)
And, if I create the databases myself it seems to miss creating some of the tables and it never saves the content type when I create or edit the sources.

Can you paste a bigger piece of the log enabling debug mode in XBMC first?
charrua Wrote:Can you paste a bigger piece of the log enabling debug mode in XBMC first?
Here you go,

http://pastebin.com/66PWESR3
pkellum Wrote:I'm using the nightly build 28256.

Code:

Hallo, is your database on localhost as you try to connect to localhost.

Can you tell use a bit more about your install ? (where is what installed ?)
pkellum Wrote:Here you go,

http://pastebin.com/66PWESR3
Watching at your log it seems that XBMC is having problems connecting to the MySQL server.

Basic things that you can check first:
1- As asked by MrDVD, Is MySQL server installed in the same PC as XBMC, if not you should change localhost in <host></host> and write the network address of the MySQL server instead.
2- The port of the MySQL server is 3306 (as configured by default)? If not change that in <port></port>
3- Did you create the user xbmc in the MySQL server? Did you give that user enough permissions to create databases and tables? Did you set the pass for xbmc user also as xbmc?
There is even more to know.
On which OS mysql is running ?
As i had to add under ubuntu for my mysql server inside my.cnf
Code:
bind-address        = IPfromtheServer
by default it was also localhost and this mean that you can only connect via localhost to mysql.
charrua Wrote:Watching at your log it seems that XBMC is having problems connecting to the MySQL server.

Basic things that you can check first:
1- As asked by MrDVD, Is MySQL server installed in the same PC as XBMC, if not you should change localhost in <host></host> and write the network address of the MySQL server instead.
2- The port of the MySQL server is 3306 (as configured by default)? If not change that in <port></port>
3- Did you create the user xbmc in the MySQL server? Did you give that user enough permissions to create databases and tables? Did you set the pass for xbmc user also as xbmc?
1) It's installed on the same PC.
2) Port is 3306
3) I created a user named xbmc with a password of xbmc that has full permissions.

I'm running it on a Windows XP Pro box.

The strange thing is that XBMC is connecting to the database. If I create the databases for it then it will create some of the tables. But, it misses some like the tvshows table.

I can access the database just fine from the shell and from PHP.
pkellum Wrote:1) It's installed on the same PC.
2) Port is 3306
3) I created a user named xbmc with a password of xbmc that has full permissions.

I'm running it on a Windows XP Pro box.

The strange thing is that XBMC is connecting to the database. If I create the databases for it then it will create some of the tables. But, it misses some like the tvshows table.

I can access the database just fine from the shell and from PHP.
Check the db collation and charset, if it's utf8, change it to latin1.
charrua Wrote:Check the db collation and charset, if it's utf8, change it to latin1.
I thought XBMC supported Asian character sets? I'll try it tonight and see what happens. If that is the issue though, it needs to be corrected in XBMC's database code. I didn't think anyone actually used latin1 anymore.
maybe you have the same problem i had, outlined here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post507823

The xbmc user has to have full privileges as well as be a "DBDesigner"
charrua Wrote:Then you must have really fast disks to be able to maintain a 100MB/s throughput.

OK, so i've got my symlinks set up so they all point to the same thumbnails source. Speed is very comparable, I can't really notice a difference.

It should be noted that I'm hosting all thumbnails on a 2GB SD card formatted as FAT32. I believe this speeds up access times/read as it doesn't have any moving parts Smile. Essentially a cheap Solid State Drive.

I also thought about creating a RAM drive for all the thumbnails to really improve performance, but haven't made that leap yet.
pkellum Wrote:I thought XBMC supported Asian character sets? I'll try it tonight and see what happens. If that is the issue though, it needs to be corrected in XBMC's database code. I didn't think anyone actually used latin1 anymore.
XBMC does support utf8, but I remember I had a problem involving indexes creation when I was trying to migrate to MySQL, and it was caused by the collation of the database being utf8, I switched to latin1 and the problem was solved.

Here are the technical details of the problem: MySQL has a limitation that allows a max byte size of 767 for any fields that are part of an index, MySQL uses 3 byte per char if the collation of the db is set to utf8, and only 1 byte per char if the collation is set to something different than utf8. The table files has a field strFilename which type is varchar(512) and there is an index ix_files that uses that field. If you define the db collation as utf8, that index creation will return an error, because 512x3= 1536 bytes which exceeds MySQL size restriction for indexes, but if you choose a different collation for your db, the size in bytes of the field would be 512x1= 512 bytes which doesn't exceed MySQL size restriction and that's why I suggested you to change the db collation to try and avoid the error.

When I discovered this issue some time ago, I posted the problem in the thread opened by the developer of the MySQL for XBMC feature firnsy and I suggested to change the db creation code in XBMC to solve the problem or as an alternative solution to stop creating the problematic index, but as the XBMC db is going through a redesign at present time the decission was to wait for the redesign first and then evaluate which way to go regarding this issue.

I hope that the explanation is clear enough.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS7