XBMC vs Windows 7 Media Centre
Both myself and a friend have the same Acer Revos and both of us went for XBMC initially. However due to some weirdness with my friends home network setup xbmc could not reliably see the NAS specifically when it came to cover art for some strange reason. He ended up going with MC for this reason and MC is nice, clean looking and easy to use. I am sticking with XBMC though due to the customisation, file support and add-ons, plus the nice xmbc live install which boots with very little OS visibility (Win7 MC can be setup to boot directly but you still see WIN7 briefly).
coolblue2000 Wrote:Both myself and a friend have the same Acer Revos and both of us went for XBMC initially. However due to some weirdness with my friends home network setup xbmc could not reliably see the NAS specifically when it came to cover art for some strange reason. He ended up going with MC for this reason and MC is nice, clean looking and easy to use. I am sticking with XBMC though due to the customisation, file support and add-ons, plus the nice XBMC live install which boots with very little OS visibility (Win7 MC can be setup to boot directly but you still see WIN7 briefly).

Tell you friend he should post a help request here, and I'm sure somebody can figure it out...especially if it means ensuring that he doesn't have to use MC.
markrankin Wrote:Live-Tv is possible and running. Look for XBMC PVR and VDR settings.

Looks like a nightmare. When are we going to see Live TV support out of the box?
Lomax Wrote:Looks like a nightmare. When are we going to see Live TV support out of the box?

when you develop the hardware that everyone can use so its all exactly the same and easier to program for than rebuild 10 other programs that do it fine already for many many many different hardware types Smile

and until that happens XBMC will only ever be a front end for other back end servers of live tv
Thanks all - I think I'm starting to understand the situation now.

Can anyone recommend a back end live tv server for win server 2008?
Hmm. I've been thinking, and based on what I've read I am considering doing this:

Blow away my Win7 media center
Install linux and xbmc (which distro?)
Install a tv backend on the same box (which one is best/easiest?)

If anyone has links to some good guides, it'd be appreciated. I'm not a linux n00b, but I deal manly with windows IRL. More questions:

How can I determine whether linux will "like" my hardware - is there a supported hardware list somewhere, or perhaps a utility I can use to check? My main concern is ICHR9 (raid 0), my Hauppauge HVR-2200 tuner, and my Antec Fusion case (the LCD panel, which I believe is actually iMon).

Any info will be appreciated, and I'll be continuing to read stuff that I find around here.

'max
Lomax Wrote:Looks like a nightmare. When are we going to see Live TV support out of the box?

Maybe MC is better for you, yes.

Basicly, it's like this:

Windows MC: One click install, it just works and sits there for when you don't to do difficult stuff
XBMC: More hassle but if you're prepared to plan a day to sort everything, it's brilliant

Although XBMC is most likely the easiest media center to set up. If XBMC scares you, go try MediaPortal, hehe. You'll sit there for 30 minutes, run away, screaming, hide behind a curtain, sweating, and don't dare to show yourself within the next 3 days :p
Lomax Wrote:Hmm. I've been thinking, and based on what I've read I am considering doing this:

Blow away my Win7 media center
Install linux and xbmc (which distro?)
Install a tv backend on the same box (which one is best/easiest?)

If anyone has links to some good guides, it'd be appreciated. I'm not a linux n00b, but I deal manly with windows IRL. More questions:

How can I determine whether linux will "like" my hardware - is there a supported hardware list somewhere, or perhaps a utility I can use to check? My main concern is ICHR9 (raid 0), my Hauppauge HVR-2200 tuner, and my Antec Fusion case (the LCD panel, which I believe is actually iMon).

Any info will be appreciated, and I'll be continuing to read stuff that I find around here.

'max

The best way is to just do it, image your windows install first if you're worried and then set up a dual boot with Ubuntu. I believe all your hardware will be fine these days. If it isn't I'd recommend buying hardware that is. Once you get XBMC set up under a rock solid OS there is simply nothing better. 6 months from now you'll wonder why you ever relied on MS products for anything.

In order of ease of use vs functionality as I understand it today for TV integration you have:

1. tvheadend
2. VDR.
3. Mythtv.

I use No 3 and find it coupled with XBMC a perfect solution. But don't expect a point and click install. If might take a few days to get the basics running and a few weeks to tweak to perfection but once it's done it's done and maintenance is minimal to none. You also won't need to re-install it any time soon as it doesn't barf on itself like Windows likes to.

If you're a competent Linux user setup can be done in a few hours. If you're a little rusty and have to learn what you're doing along the way then obviously it'll take longer. But the end result is well worth it.

I personally use Arch Linux for my PVR front and backend builds but it isn't for the feint of heart. You can have a read of what is involved here. Though some of the information in that thread is now out-dated it will give you a good idea of how long it can take, why you want to do it, and the end results you can achieve. There are also many other guides/threads on this site and others detailing how to build an Arch frontend/Myth backend machine.
Cheers,

Arkay.
I tried at first WMC7 + MediaBrowser.

For Beginners this is the easiest way to get started. You have LiveTV and a decent library. A good Scrapper for the MediaBrowser is metaBrowser, my personal Favourit. Another advantage is you can easily add your Home Vids or Documentaries to your library by creating a new folder. Thats impossible in XMBC, where you have just TV Show and Movies. Making new Profiles or Playlists is the only possibilty in XBMC which is in my opinion insufficient.

The I tried XBMC in Linux with tvheadend.

The TV backened Installation could be very hard, depending on your TV Card and the support. After a some hours I got everything working but wasn`t satified with this Live TV Solution.

At the moment I`m using WMC7 + XBMC.

For me it`s the best choice even WMC7 doesn`t support HD. In my country there are just 3 HD Channel which I almost never use so that`s not a big problem for me.
I faced this dilemma when I had to setup my HTPC.

I (obviously) chose XBMC but retained Windows Media Center 7 just for PVR capabilities (and some online stuff) .

I have used it only once in about 4 months and just to check that it works (I recorded the Barcelona-Arsenal football match)

Rest of the time it's XBMC exclusive box and although the application hangs from time to time (the dreaded "this program is not responding", mainly Phython scripts or app's rough edges) I am sure I made the right choice.
I know this is an old thread, but these problems are still prevalent to this day.

I finally have the best of both worlds using XBMC and MCE seamlessly as if they were one solution...

Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6wEzp9_oSk

Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJzZeQam9Ns

-P
You can use MCE as the backend PVR and XBMC as the frontend for liveTV. Check out http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=205
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC vs Windows 7 Media Centre0