[linux] XBMCbuntu slower network access than XBMClive?
I've been running XBMClive 9.04 for a few years, installed to a 16gb sandisk cruzer usb disk. It worked well, but the access to the usb disk was a bit too slow. Menus were laggy, and images would take a while loading.

My media is stored on a Qnap NAS on gigabit network.

My hardware is a Zotac Nvidia ION motherboard with 4gb ram.

To try and speed things up a bit i installed an Intel X-25V ssd to replace my usb drive. I have installed XBMCbunti from the following guide:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

It boots in approx 3 seconds which is impressive. The old usb boots in about 45 seconds.

I have gone into add source as before, and into SMB shares. I have selected the NAS and drilled down into the 'TV' folder and set content to TV. An automated scan scraped the images and info from thetvdb.com.

Now its all up and running I have found the network access even slower than before!

Example:
I select 'TV Shows' from the front screen and it shows me my shows with their 'Wide Icons'. I then select a show and it takes 30 seconds to open the next screen, showing available Seasons. Then a further 30 seconds to get inside on of the Seasons and look at Episodes.
The usb drive on the other hand took about 4-5 seconds - and i thought that was slow!!!

I just pressed 'i' on the keyboard to bring up the show information for the current show, and it took over 60 seconds to display the Info screen. It was so slow i thought the system had crashed!

There must be something about my setup of XBMCbuntu that is not set correctly for this kind of network access.

Im hoping/praying that someone knows the cause of these problems and can help me get my box setup correctly. I have no clue what the problem is!
Ok, i feel a bit daft now. Turns out the SMB shares ive set up to connect to my NAS aren't remembering their Username & Passwords now ive rebooted, so the connection has dropped.

I should know this because i posted the same question last time around and got this response:

Did you setup the default username and password for SMB shares in the settings menu? I've found that that works fine for me on password protected SMB shares. I don't think XBMC remembers username passwords across sessions.

This time though, im using Confluence on Karmic. I cannot find the option to enter the Username & Password for my SMB Shares in this skin!

Anyone know where this is?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[linux] XBMCbuntu slower network access than XBMClive?0