I love Media Stream - it's still by far (in my opinion) the most elegantly designed skin, in terms of layout and simplicity. However... a lot of the skins, like Aeon, for example, have a horizontal home menu that really shows off the cool fan art. This got me wondering what MediaStream might look like with a similar layout.
I did a little Photoshop mockup...
...and I just couldn't get the concept out of my mind, so I went and built it!
You can download the files here.
Context menus can be accessed by pressing DOWN.
On TV and Movies you can press UP to show the latest additions to your library...
Now... this mod is extremely hacky, so I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it should do. Here are some things to note.
1) For some reason, XBMC would crash if I made any additions to the localized text strings, so the changes to text necessary for this skin are in the skin files found in the "720" directory.
2) The fan art scraper for TV shows will only work if you have your TV episodes...
a) All in one folder per show, or...
b) In subfolders that start with the word "Season".
3) I had to remove the default backgrounds to get it all working nicely, so you will have to configure them manually from the system menu. I like to use this one as a default, but you can find all sorts of cool images here.
4) The weather backdrop works with conditional fanart images, you can download them here. Set the backdrop folder appropriately and it will work nicely.
5) Some of the animation for the settings screens is a bit rough. I figured that once everything was set up you didn't really use these pages much anyway.
6) I based this off my old MediaStream mod, so it doesn't use v1.6 (it does have basic tag info in some of the views, though, and a lot of the new functionality). Annoyingly v1.6 came out just as I was wrapping up the main design & code!
Anyway, I appreciate that these drawbacks may render the mod a little pointless, but my intention was just to have fun with the redesign, and maybe show how the menu could be given some cool new functionality.
If anyone wants to take my mod and adapt it for MS v1.6 then please feel free! And who knows... if skunkm0nkee want's to add the horizontal menu as an option to v1.7 then that would be rad also!
Hope you guys like it...
[MOD] Horizontal Home Menu
Joined: May 2009
2010-03-28 17:27 Post: #1
(This post was last modified: 2010-03-28 17:35 by dt1000.)
Joined: Jun 2006
2010-03-28 19:46 Post: #2
Looks nice and different to the other ones which = good
Skins I have done....
And others in the past...
Want to know what I'm working on currently? Check me out on Google+