Backup movies on internal drive & reinstall XBMCLive?
I have an Asrock ION330 pc with the latest XBMCLive installed. Now, I've had some problems with going from xbmc karmic to jaunty, and back to karmic again by accidentm so my XBMCLive has some weird issues.

I would like to do a fresh install of XBMCLive, but then all my movies on the internal drive would be deleted. Is there a (noob-proof) way to do a fresh install without formatting the internal drive?

Kind regards.
noob proof, no. But you could shrink the existing paritition and keep the media on a separate partition from now on. Then you can install xbmclive on its own parition.

If you want noob proof then buy an external disk and backup your media.
Just what I thought, I guess I have to buy an external disk then.
coendeurloo Wrote:Just what I thought, I guess I have to buy an external disk then.

Yeah... it's always adviseable to keep your data (movie, music, etc) on a separate physical drive, hence, you will not mess around with it when you do upgrading/downgrading/fresh install Smile
I'm currently copying my movies from my XBMCLive internal disk over to a NAS drive, via the network using a windows computer and it's samba connection with the two drives. This is, however, taking forever. Is there a way to send a command on the XBMClive computer to send it directly to the NAS without the interference of a windows computer? I have webmin installed on my XBMCLive pc is that's any help...
coendeurloo Wrote:Is there a way to send a command on the XBMClive computer to send it directly to the NAS without the interference of a windows computer?

I guess your NAS supports rsync, either via ssh or daemon, so set it up and running if it is not already so.

Go to your xbmc pc, do CTRL+ALT+F4 (or F-whatever as long as not F7) to get a login terminal.

After you login, then this is the command:

$ rsync -va --progress --human-readable /from/xbmc/moviefolder username@yourNAS:/to/whaever/folder/you/want/

rsync is the best friend when you need to move files across the network. If it happens that the connection/transfer files close unexpectly (whatever reason), just do repeat the exact command above, rsync would know which files already transferred hence will not duplicate again Smile
There is different ways to deal with that. Not all of them easier than backup the media to an internal drive Wink
1) I think you can add the NAS as a source in xbmc and then use the xbmc file manager to copy files. (never used that myself)
2) You can mount the windows share from command line and copy it over
3) I have never needed 1) or 2) instead I have added desktop components to xbmcLive. This way I can do some stuff in a GUI when I prefer that from the command line.

Perhaps you should finish your backup either over the network via windows or with 1) and then learn some more about 3)?

--------
Live actually comes with a simple windows manager: fluxbox.
If you exit xbmc, login, and type startx you will start it up. Right click to get menus.

sudo apt-get install nedit arora rox-filer
This will give you the basic tools you need for browse the system and e.g. post the debug log on the forum.

This is a very basic setup and I normally wants some more functionality like sharing a folder with right click or accessing a share on the network. I also need a cd burner GUI etc.

In the previous version I used a stripped down gnome desktop but in 9.11 this screws up some stuff in xbmcLive.
A nice ligthweigt alternative is lxde with some components from xfce.
sudo apt-get install lxde xfburn arora
is a good start.

This is however a bit to lightweigt for me. Like I said I need a "full" file manager that handle network shares in the GUI.
Maybe there is something leight weight that is good enough but I dont know it. I have just added dolphin from kde3.
sudo apt-get install dolphin
Please note that this will drag in a basic kde3 desktop and overwrite lxde in startx. I am sure this is easy to fix but I dont know how. Simple fix is to install dolphin first and then lxde. It does not matter for me since I use NX server to run the desktop in the background while xbmc is playing on the TV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backup movies on internal drive & reinstall XBMCLive?0