OS and hardware poll.
Here we go again but.. was wondering what was todays thoughts on this....

Which is the preferred HTPC bit of kit and what OS is it running?

I'm think Mac mini (crystalhd) vs ATV (crystalhd) vs acer revo 3610 (windows or linux) vs (hypothetical XBMC on a) Boxee Box

More over I have no idea which one or what to get. Lost and need help.
fullfatcream Wrote:Here we go again but.. was wondering what was todays thoughts on this....

Which is the preferred HTPC bit of kit and what OS is it running?

I'm think Mac mini (crystalhd) vs ATV (crystalhd) vs acer revo 3610 (windows or linux) vs (hypothetical XBMC on a) Boxee Box

More over I have no idea which one or what to get. Lost and need help.

Unsure why a Mac Mini would need crystalhd since it has an Nvidia GPU (9400) which should work fine.

I think Linux on the Mini is an expensive choice with no HDMI out. However, it does pack a lot of punch to do other things as well.

ATV as you mentioned would be minimal.

OSX is a wonderful operating system but alas, not very open where CL and GL are concerned (for our purposes here)

That leaves ION 330 type setups to be ideal for typical users (with Linux first and Windows second).

Just an opinion

- Phrehdd
I'm currently running a Mini w/ Crystal HD (newer Mini's have the nvidia GPU and don't need the Crystal HD, but the older Intel ones w/ Mini-PCI will for 1080p, etc). Crystal HD support is not 100% yet, but its close. There are still some things to work out, but it'll get there. Of course I still am holding on to my original XBMC for non-HD stuff too.

Honestly, I love my Mac Mini, and if you plan on using other computer stuff, it is a great choice (again, a new one would be great over an older one), but if all you want is media center playback, the ATV will do just fine for the price w/ a Crystal HD. The step up would be a nice ION machine (complete system or homebuilt) since it will offer more options for connections (HDMI, DVI, Optical, Coaxial, etc, etc).

I'm actually about to get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813500036

It will be set up initially as an UnRaid server until I reach the max of its capabilities with its SATA ports + PCI expansion, then it will turn into a media center and I'll get a proper server board for the UnRaid.

EDIT: Crystal HD support for the Mini is 100% in effect, but it still has some glitches that are actively being worked on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OS and hardware poll.0