[REQUEST] Winamp R4 plugin support.
Information 
This maybe a bit much really as I am not sure if it could be done on linux/MAC.

but have any of you ever used the "R4" Visualization for Winamp? It has to be the best visualization I have ever seen for Winamp.

See this link for more info

http://www.rabidhamster.org/R4/about.php

Its OpenGL based. And there is a standalone version that can work with almost any app that make a noise/music. So I was thinking that it would be great if it could be some how made to work with XBMC from with in the program.

Hope somebody can take a look.

Oddsodz
well one thing I can't seem to find that would be needed before anyone could do anything is source code
I don't think you will have any luck getting the source off him as he sells R4 commercially, we've asked him in the past.

However he was kind enough to allow us to base some of the presets in the Vortex on his presets from R4.

Vortex only runs on the Xbox version of XBMC although I am currently porting it to Windows. May be quite some time (if ever) before it runs on Linux though.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Oh well. It was worth a look. Thanks
We have still no plans for opening source up.

However we may port a closed source version of our new visualization that replaces R4. Morphyre - http://www.morphyre.com

We have been really busy with stuff recently but give it a month or two and then we can talk again.
Wow. That is great news.

Thanks
I'm probably asking for the impossible here, but has anyone thought of supporting winamp visualization plugins directly in XBMC?

There is an SDK available on Winamp's site/wiki-documentation, which allows for the creation of Winamp plugins, so I dunno, IANAD but maybe this could be reverse-engineered.

I know this is very unlikely to happen unless a developer takes an interest and puts a lot of effort in, so this is not really a formal request, just a "have you ever considered...?"

* braces self for sarcastic "patches welcome" replies *
That would be great as it would make it easy to then support virtually any winamp visualization in the future without needing any modification.
This is a cheeky bump to see if there is any news

Rovastar Wrote:We have still no plans for opening source up.

However we may port a closed source version of our new visualization that replaces R4. Morphyre - http://www.morphyre.com

We have been really busy with stuff recently but give it a month or two and then we can talk again.
Aside the visualizers that came with xbmc which is the best one? Since we cannot use R4 in XBMC is there any visualizer from winamp that we could use?
Well, To be honest. None of the Winamp Visualization are any better than what we have right now. IE Milkdrop. The main reason I asked for "R4" is due to it beaning OpenGL based (I think). Making it use hardware to render instead of software. It also has the great thing of just looking out bloody standing. I Have not seen a better looking visualization ever. The only thing that came close was TripX (I thing that was what it was called). Again that was a hardware render system.
I have been using Morphyre for a lil bit on Winamp n shit it's a quality piece of kit. Makes Milkdrop look like an atari game.

Rovastar, your work would be recognized so much further if you were to port to xbmc and you will highly contribute to the goal of the ultimate media center. (not sayin' it aint already Wink) I would offer help if needed but coding aint me strong suit. Rolleyes

thy shall buy personal version when i have the cash dude
Just going to bump this as I still hold out hope

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Winamp R4 plugin support.0