XBMC.org and it's company
Can someone tell me who the company behind XBMC.org is? Ergo: the company who is closing deals with e.g. Boxee? I remember TheUni revealed this somewhere in a thread but this thread is gone because the host of XBMC was struck by lightning and the best backup was 2 months old.

Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty sure he said it was Apple
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
huh? I don't think apple owns xbmc org...

http://whois.domaintools.com/xbmc.org
Well he meant Steve Jobs, not "Apple" per se.

Seriously... it's like asking who owns Linux. These are "Open Source" community built applications. There is no "company". If nobody works on it, the thing just dies. It has no physical backing... just financial support to run the servers.
Hopefully rwparris2 is a better coder then he is in spreading public information; I don't understand why someone would spread this kind of information.

Gamester owns the domain. But there also is a company who is closing deals with e.g. Boxee. Normally, this information is public on the front page.
dan1son Wrote:Well he meant Steve Jobs, not "Apple" per se.

Seriously... it's like asking who owns Linux. These are "Open Source" community built applications. There is no "company". If nobody works on it, the thing just dies. It has no physical backing... just financial support to run the servers.

Again, this is false information. Like I said, this information was on the forum before. I am not talking about source code; I am talking about legal entities which can:
* Receive donations
* Make contracts (like with Boxee)
* Have copyrights on XBMC
* Who will be sued if used components are not complying to their license
* etc.
The non-profit XBMC Foundation will be the closest match to the round peg you are trying to fit in to a square hole.
davilla Wrote:The non-profit XBMC Foundation will be the closest match to the round peg you are trying to fit in to a square hole.

Thanks. This looks like a more suitable answer. However, your comparison is a bit out of line for a simple question.
FYI - The Apple references were a joke.
TugboatBill Wrote:FYI - The Apple references were a joke.

Thanks for your valuable explanation. It's like the joke that Boxee (you know, the company with 10 million dollar funding) CEO Avner Ronen helped setting up XBMC Foundation, sponsored the hosting and servers for Xbmc.org (except some decent backups ;-)) and is donating code to XBMC Foundation.

Except, everlasting gratitude to JMarshall, Boxee wants nothing in return! Off course, the community keeps donating code and xbmc.org keeps attracting a community. What a friendship, what a deal!

I know a lot of jokes but this is a serious topic. Please stop telling off topic jokes.

On topic:
I wonder were this XBMC Foundation is based? US or Sweden? Which laws do apply to this legal entity?
Wow. Someone needs to lighten up. I'm not going to say who, but they posted in this thread.
Bulkzooi Wrote:Thanks for your valuable explanation. It's like the joke that Boxee (you know, the company with 10 million dollar funding) CEO Avner Ronen helped setting up XBMC Foundation, sponsored the hosting and servers for Xbmc.org (except some decent backups ;-)) and is donating code to XBMC Foundation.

Except, everlasting gratitude to JMarshall, Boxee wants nothing in return! Off course, the community keeps donating code and xbmc.org keeps attracting a community. What a friendship, what a deal!

I know a lot of jokes but this is a serious topic. Please stop telling off topic jokes.

On topic:
I wonder were this XBMC Foundation is based? US or Sweden? Which laws do apply to this legal entity?

What's the concern about the legal status of XBMC Foundation?
circle_ Wrote:Wow. Someone needs to lighten up. I'm not going to say who, but they posted in this thread.

You're right. I need a rest and maybe tomorrow will be a better day for me; less agitated and better jokes

Some background:
Before the lightning struck I had some questions about xbmc.org (the roadmap, the company, the hierarchy within the company, etc.) since I really like the product and I was willing to put my free time in the XBOX branche. (I understand most people don't care about these backgrounds; for me, they are very important.)

Basic questions like those (normally addressed on the front page) weren't very much appreciated, neither answered. Instead I was blamed to ask questions like that! So I have the feeling same thing is happening right now.
Bulkzooi Wrote:You're right. I need a rest and maybe tomorrow will be a better day for me; less agitated and better jokes

Some background:
Before the lightning struck I had some questions about xbmc.org (the roadmap, the company, the hierarchy within the company, etc.) since I really like the product and I was willing to put my free time in the XBOX branche. (I understand most people don't care about these backgrounds; for me, they are very important.)

Basic questions like those (normally addressed on the front page) weren't very much appreciated, neither answered. Instead I was blamed to ask questions like that! So I have the feeling same thing is happening right now.

I suggest asking specific questions along with your concerns. That will get a much better response than just "who the company behind XBMC".
Bulkzooi Wrote:Hopefully rwparris2 is a better coder then he is in spreading public information; I don't understand why someone would spread this kind of information.

A sense of humor might help you understand jokes!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC.org and it's company0