XBMC.org and it's company
Bulkzooi Wrote:2> How can I become a member?

You have to do an initiation. First rule of XBMC. Don't talk about XBMC.

Seriously though, just submit code (i.e, patches) if you're a regular enough contributor you'll be a part of the team. There's not a formal process that I am aware of.
redtapemedia Wrote:You have to do an initiation. First rule of XBMC. Don't talk about XBMC.

Seriously though, just submit code (i.e, patches) if you're a regular enough contributor you'll be a part of the team. There's not a formal process that I am aware of.

I think you talk about team XBMC. Normally, in XBMC Foundation statutes most of such info. should be covered.
Desubscribing. Too painful to watch.
Unless you have a specific skill to offer like legal or accounting or something there is no way anyone who is not a member of the team will be put onto the foundation members. It is chosen from team members because they have a idea of what the project is all about and have its best interest at heart.
If you believe you have a specific skill that you think we need and are willing to give it for free then fire off an email to 1 of the emails here http://xbmc.org/about/contact/ I would suggest the last one
And can someone show me directions to the Bylaws or statutes of the XBMC Foundation?
Good lord.
bulkzooi, are you confusing a foundation with a corporation? A foundation does not require bylaws or statutes to operate. In fact, the word foundation is so loosely defined that one should probably make no presumptions about it at all. You would be best served by asking more basic questions like whether the XBMC Foundation is a non-profit organization (it is), whether it is a 501©(3) organization (to my knowledge, it is not), and whether it is a private or a community foundation (tricky, but I assume we can say private).

Generally speaking, though, while these are all nice things to be posted on an "about us" page, they aren't required. XBMC is not for profit and is not a publicly traded company. As such, most of the info required by statute to be revealed by a corp. to everyone and his brother does not have to be revealed by a non-profit organization. Indeed, most of the rules typically required by statute to apply to a corporation, LLP, or LLC do not apply to this organization.

Which is a good thing, because I'm guessing most of the coders involved in this project have no idea what the answers to any of your questions are.

Your best hope remains speaking with jmarshall, as previously mentioned, and, if he doesn't know the answer, getting authorization from the foundation board to speak with the XBMC Foundation attorney who set up the foundation in the first place.

Edit: On second thought, XBMC might be set up as a community foundation. Long story short, unless you are the IRS absolutely none of this should matter to you.
The XBMC foundation is a US-based non-profit (we do in fact have 501©(3) status).

Expect a news post and further details to be on the website in the near future. No ETA on that - it'll be there when it's done. If the US is anything like NZ, I suspect you can probably discover copies of the articles of incorporation and the like should you wish to from the appropriate US authority in the mean time.

To be clear: There is no need or desire for any of this stuff to be secret - indeed, it is our goal to be as open and transparent as possible - it's one of the reasons we started the foundation in the first place. Unfortunately, setting up the foundation has taken a LONG time and a LOT of effort (it's been almost 2 years and we still don't have a bank account...) I think you'll agree that it's best to ensure everything is completely in order prior to announcing it in an official manner.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

natethomas Wrote:bulkzooi, are you confusing a foundation with a corporation? A foundation does not require bylaws or statutes to operate. In fact, the word foundation is so loosely defined that one should probably make no presumptions about it at all. You would be best served by asking more basic questions like whether the XBMC Foundation is a non-profit organization (it is), whether it is a 501©(3) organization (to my knowledge, it is not), and whether it is a private or a community foundation (tricky, but I assume we can say private).

Generally speaking, though, while these are all nice things to be posted on an "about us" page, they aren't required. XBMC is not for profit and is not a publicly traded company. As such, most of the info required by statute to be revealed by a corp. to everyone and his brother does not have to be revealed by a non-profit organization. Indeed, most of the rules typically required by statute to apply to a corporation, LLP, or LLC do not apply to this organization.

Which is a good thing, because I'm guessing most of the coders involved in this project have no idea what the answers to any of your questions are.

Your best hope remains speaking with jmarshall, as previously mentioned, and, if he doesn't know the answer, getting authorization from the foundation board to speak with the XBMC Foundation attorney who set up the foundation in the first place.

Edit: On second thought, XBMC might be set up as a community foundation. Long story short, unless you are the IRS absolutely none of this should matter to you.

I am not familiar with a community Foundation and indeed it's difficult for me to gather useful information about Foundations in general. But like I explained before, to me it's very important to know some basic backgrounds.
It's not really my business but why is knowing all this so important for you?
You seem shady Confused
exxo Wrote:It's not really my business but why is knowing all this so important for you?
You seem shady Confused

Off course you can ask. But I must say there are better places for discussions like this.

Some basic principles I use in life:
* I do business with Legal entities(companies, foundations, etc.) I like;
* I use products I like;

Unlike most users (or consumers) I try to be aware of the products I consume (or use). For example, I don't like companies who take advantage of people and let me pay for the their huge gains. And I don't like companies who are lying, spreading false information or having large profits at a high price.

XBMC is a product I really like:
* it's fulfilling my media needs;
* it's open source;
* it's community-driven;

I know, most people won't pay the effort to have this selection but I try to do my best.I think more XBMC users are attracted by the fact that XBMC is open source.

Like with products, I try to be smart and sensible in my choices of companies. For example, I can not easily get rid off my water company but I don't like this company at all. So be it; it's out of my reach.

But for me, XBMC Foundation as a legal entity, is a black hole despite it's existing for nearly 2 years and it is related to commercial forks like Boxee. This necessarily doesn't have to be a problem; even the Foundation can win with this kind of informal deals.

But it's a dangerous area. In my opinion, a conflict of interest should be excluded by openness and clarity. The way people react (more then once) on such valid and legitimate questions makes me just wonder and more focused.

Hopefully, you understand why I want to know stuff and how I become persistent.
Wow, sounds like an exciting life you lead.. (unlike this thread).

But as many people have pointed out already - XBMC is free, its Open Source, none of the Devs are working for monetary gains.
They do all the work in their own spare time just for the fun and satisfaction (and a bloody good job they do too!) so give them a break and quit it with all the pointless cr@p!
jmarshall Wrote:The XBMC foundation is a US-based non-profit (we do in fact have 501©(3) status).

Woot, our donations to XBMC are tax deductible!
I'm new here.. and i feel a little hurt by some of this. I have become obsessed with XBMC for the last few months having known nothing of it before. I have been helped along my way by people who have given their time and thoughts, to me.. for nothing.. for an amazing product that cost me nothing.

I can understand wanting to use products and *things* you feel ethically drawn too and I salute your tenacity. I hope you get the answers you are looking for but I feel that thanks should be heaped upon those that have created XBMC and have done so with such clear aplomb.
fullfatcream Wrote:I'm new here.. and i feel a little hurt by some of this. I have become obsessed with XBMC for the last few months having known nothing of it before. I have been helped along my way by people who have given their time and thoughts, to me.. for nothing.. for an amazing product that cost me nothing.

I can understand wanting to use products and *things* you feel ethically drawn too and I salute your tenacity. I hope you get the answers you are looking for but I feel that thanks should be heaped upon those that have created XBMC and have done so with such clear aplomb.

Yes thanks for you positive input... Like you, I have profit a lot from the community, the devs, the skinners and all folks on the forum; I have stated my gratitude many times. I am also trying to contribute aswell.

I just happen to have more interest in companies, project management, legel issues, etc. then in code. And believe me, with large communities and products like XBMC, there is a lot of work on this side of a software project like this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC.org and it's company0